The Linnofil Super NAS!

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

k_numigl wrote:The type of HDD seems to have less effect on recording than on playing. The Intel 320 and my 1.5 TB 2.5'' USB3 are very very close, the 500 GB 2.5'' Seagate sounds more different.
It is nice to see that the Intel 320 seems not inferiour in this respect as well, but perhaps a tiny bit better. Note though that this is not yet with the LS-NAS environment and all cables are unselected random directed standard.

Musical reference is the LP12 via Prism Orpheus AD/DA throughput. After recording, the music should be pretty similar to this. The gap has been closed considerably by using the Intel SSD, apparently mainly by putting it in the playback chain. This is quite exciting! Music is 24/192 exclusively (what results in an uncomfortably large need of 320 space, but still cheap in comparison to a Dynamic).
Very interesting Klaus, thank you for your report. Can you test with all HDD's and USB cables removed/disconnected, only with the 320 (+OS drive) and see if that makes a difference?

I just talked to a friend who is testing a ripdrive and playback from his LS NAS was notably better without the USB cable to the ripdrive connected. Very interesting stuff!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

ThomasOK wrote:I am not looking at the Linnofil Super NAS only as a personal device. Since I work at a Linn store I am also thinking of the possibility of offering this device to customers who don't wish to undertake building one themselves.
With a nice fat bonus to the inventor for each one sold, surely? :-)

I should get a donate button into this thread somewhere... :-)
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Music Lover wrote:Plan to get back testing ripping later on as the NAS has a MUCH greater impact on musicality.
I know that getting a fully working LS NAS can be a bit of a revolution, but I still believe that ripping can have a very large impact as well. But with that knowledge, combining both is a no brainer.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

tokenbrit wrote:Following this with curiosity & interest...
Great! I hope we can get you to build one as well! Just look at Nicolav, you can get a bit on the way by starting with some of the main components. It's fun!
tokenbrit wrote:Isn't the same problem, as with the Mini ITX mobo, going to happen soon with the Intel 320 SSDs? Hopefully not for a while, but it's a shame the latest solid states don't sound as good :/
Yes, the 320 SSD is a problem, they are on the way out from the market. Buy now! An even better alternative is to buy a 320 and the new Intel DC3700 drive mentioned earlier in this thread and test them! (Use the DC3700 as a OS drive if it isn't any good.)

The MB is apparently on the way back to the market with a new batch from ASUS, according to k_numigl here: http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4899#14899
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

tokenbrit wrote:Sorry if I missed it Linnofil, but were other motherboards tried too, or just the Asus E45M1 Deluxe and the Pro versions? Wondering what might make them sound better than others... There's an ASRock Mini ITX mobo with the 350 APU vs 450 in the Asus, but with a Hudson M1 North Bridge... Never mind: that's not fanless.
I did try some other platforms. some laptops, a Dell P4, a Shuttle AMD barebone, a older ASUS/AMD etc. The most modern platform I tried before building my NAS was a Asrock Z68 Mini-ITX MB with a Intel 2550K CPU. Even with a good Intel SSD it was pretty bad.

The AMD E45 Fusion is also very efficient (high performance/power used) and has six SATA600 ports on the MB. So it's a very good choice for a NAS even for technical reasons only.

The Asus E45 Fusion is by far the best I have tested.
tokenbrit wrote:There is an Asus E35M1-I Deluxe listed on Newegg - again, I don't know if the 350 vs 450 makes a difference. Otherwise it looks like the Asus Pro Micro ATX may be the only available 450/M1 mobo solution, in the US at least. Will have to watch to see if the E45M1-I Deluxe becomes more widely available again in Europe...
I have not tested the E35M1 MB, it may be better or worse. We need someone to test it!
tokenbrit wrote:Thanks for all your work on the Super NAS, and for sharing/supporting here - much appreciated.
Thanks for letting me know tokenbrit, I'm very glad it's appreciated. Now it's your turn to jump on the bandwagon!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

jiddu_k wrote:Tested and compared some more during the week:

1) Connected my 2.5" Freecom Mobile Drive Classic 80GB via usb 2.0 to the Asus motherboard. The external harddrive runs in my car since 2008 and during the last months I compared it to 4-5 newer 2.5" drives but found it to be substantially better then all of them.
With the Linnophil Super NAS it prooved to be better than the Samsung and the Intel SSD. Again the Intel had superior sound but failded in the groove/drive/interplay realm. ReadyNAS was still the best.
k_numigl wrote:Do you know which HDD is in the Freecom case?
I have a hard time comprehending that a NV+ can be better than your newly built LS NAS, but as Klaus says, we need to know what the drive in the Freecom case is! There is someting wrong with your LS NAS and we will find out what it is! The only thing I can think about right now is that the PSU need about three weeks (24/7) to burn in.

Edit:
jiddu_k wrote:Hitachi Travelstar 4K120 80 GB HTS421280H9AT00 - not sure if I can find out which controller is used.
OK thanks for the info! Let's all rush to see if we can find any used drives on eBay and watch the price go sky high! ;-)

jiddu_k wrote:2) Turned the mains plug (provided by FD) on the LS which definitely changed things for the better - there was more rhythmic quality to the Intel SSD, but still considerably less than with the ReadyNAS (and even the Freecom).
Well, not a home run, but still a step in the right direction. It's an important reminder to others (that have this possibility). The details really make a difference on this NAS.
jiddu_k wrote:3) Changed mains cable to a 2m Lejonklou Power One, which I have not used since last spring but which has been burned in in the years before. This as well made things better rhythmically - but less than turning the plug.
Another small step on the way to heaven. :-)
jiddu_k wrote:Checking on the the mentioned NAS cases Fractal Design Node 304 (from the list in the first post - untested - mine), Fractal Design Array R2 (swedish LS users) and SilverStone Sugo Series SG02B (Linnofil) I wonder if anyone is aware that the tested Sugo SG02B and Array R2 cases both have the psu at the back making it possible to connect it directly to power via a Linn mains cable. In the Node 304 on the other hand the psu is placed in the front resulting in a low budget mains extension cord that runs from the socket in the back to the psu in the front.
This is, as you have discovered, not a good thing. Can the case be modified to take the powercable directly into the PSU? Is it possible to turn the PSU around and remove the 230 VAC socket to get a pass thru hole in the case?
jiddu_k wrote:As my LS seems to perform quite poor compared to the rave reviews from others and as changes in the power supply made a considerable difference I think this case is unsuited for a good PC NAS.
You may be right on this one. Let's see if we can agree on another case.
jiddu_k wrote:I will test a direct connection with the Node 304 (without the cover) and report back.
Yes, this is the thing to do. Thanks for the effort in finding this out.
jiddu_k wrote:In the meantime I would advise to stay away from this case - even for test purposes.
Before we know more, I think you are right. I'll see if I can get another case into the LS NAS spec on the first page.
Last edited by Linnofil on 2013-02-04 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

David Neel wrote:I've just started to use my LSNAS.
Great news, now the optimizing and burn in can start working in the right direction!

David Neel wrote:it appears that the PSU will need to burn in.
Yes, I actually think it may take more time than usual, because the current draw from the PSU is so small with the E45 Fusion. Let it run 24/7 for three weeks before it's close to how it should be.
David Neel wrote:Linnofil, many thanks for organising the SATA cables, I will fit them as soon as they arrive.
The cables where sent on friday last week, more on this later.

David Neel wrote:jiddu_k, I will also try the difference with case off and Linn power cord straight into the PSU. I agree that Node 304 may not be an ideal case.
It's great if you also can test this. Let's put the Node 304 case on hold for a while.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

David Neel wrote:Time to try the LSNAS against my previous setup of laptop/MinimServer/wireless. The LSNAS is not quite the recommended spec:
1) SATA cables are those supplied with the motherboard, not the Deltacos.
This is about to be fixed!
David Neel wrote:2) I got fed up with AVG free edition as it kept on issuing warnings, despite me continually updating it - so I removed it and installed Microsoft Security Essentials instead.
I don't have alot of warnings, maybe it's a setting? MSE is not as good (for music performance) as AVG and I suggest you try again with the AVG and experiment with the settings. My AVG is set to auto update, so I never bother with it really.
David Neel wrote:The Node 304 case is using the internal power extension cable - I will experiment later with taking the case off and putting the Linn power cord directly into the PSU.
Yes, please do this test if you can.
David Neel wrote:The LSNAS is placed on a level stone fireplace (currently unused!) and connected to the regular domestic power, not the dedicated hifi spur.
The placement of the NAS has an effect on the performance. But I still think it should be very good (on fire! ;-) ) on your fireplace.
David Neel wrote:Initial findings are: LSNAS wins, but it's much closer than I had hoped, especially since my wireless laptop ought to be quite poor? I'm eager to try the Deltaco SATA cables, and then I will experiment with a direct power cord, and with using the hifi spur. If the direct power cord shows an improvement (as expected) then I'll look to change the case.
I think that you should mainly wait for burn in and the cables. Cat5/6 cables, switches etc all make a difference to.

I feel really bad about recommending this case. I didn't realize the power cord problem when I put it on the list. I will try and change this as soon as I can. My apologies to you buyers/builders that have bought this case.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Music Lover wrote:To avoid misunderstandings, I suggest we all post specs on our LS NAS
I will try and do this for my LS NAS to.
Music Lover wrote:In total 1250€ with app. 600GB storage capacity.
Best invested 1.2k in many years!!!
A total revelation in music reproduction.
This is the "normal" reaction I have been used to. So I find it a bit surprising that some builders have problems while others (Nicolav) have such success with even half of the LS NAS!

I think this has to be burn in issues or other network anomalies. My main suspect is burn in of the components. I was building and tweaking my NAS over a long time and had very little issues with burn in, as it was a continuous process. The only exception was the PSU. This has been the latest permanent addition to my NAS, it does take a long time to burn in.

I also think that with the small amount of LS NAS'es built we really don't know if any of the components sometimes have faults or anomalies (within the technical spec) that effect musical performance. This can be tested by substituting components between LS NAS'es (a "good" and a "bad") or randomly replacing components in a low performing LS NAS. It takes some work, but you will learn on the way.

It's early days in a larger perspective and I really appreciate all the builders who are doing some really good work out there and sharing the results here. I'm convinced you all will be as happy with your LS NAS as I and Music Lover are. We just need to find out what the problem is, mainly for jiddu_k. I think for David Neel it's probably just some light tweaking and burn in.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

David Neel wrote:I will try to reconfigure the network so that there is no internet access - I think I can do this by adding the wireless antenna to the LSNAS, then removing the cable between the GS105 switch and the main router. That will mean I can remove MSE.
This will be an interesting test, since it's better without the MSE. I don't know if adding DHCP server will affect the performance, maybe Music Lover can share what he is using so successfully?
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Linnofil wrote:The cables where sent on friday last week, more on this later.
12 Deltaco cables have now been sent to Germany and the UK. I took the liberty of testing them all before I sent them out. *Sorry!*

All the cables where sounding best with the text running from the MB to the SSD. All cables are now marked with a arrow to indicate preferred signal direction from SSD to MB. This is done on a removable paper sleeve, so no permanent change or damage to the cables! (These are new cables, soon to be paid in full by the buyers.) One additional reason for having removable markings is that they change slightly during burn in (1-2 weeks) and may (I don't think so) change direction.

I had a discussion with Music Lover about potential differences in the cables. Since the cable is flat the connectors can be flipped 180° on the cable. All cables have the two connectors flipped 180°, so it's a matter of comparing "text on the front" vs. "text on the back" in one end (MB or SSD) of the cables. At first I thought that there was a small difference, but after some more testing I concluded that it was the individual cables that sounded different.

10 out of 12 sounded about the same and two where slightly inferior to the other ten. But this may well change during burn in. I marked those with "For OS". Also on the removable paper sleeve. The difference in these two cables VS. the other ten was slightly less than using the cables the wrong way.

All this was done pretty quick and the cables where brand new and they will change after burn in. So the buyers may/should test direction and individual quality after burn in if they are focused on getting the most out of their LS NAS.

So a decent improvement to look forward to for the ones that have ordered these cables.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Since the topic of cases has come up I thought I'd share a bit of research I've done into them. First off, I looked at the Streacom cases. They certainly appear to be very nicely made with the machining from thick aluminum and their passive cooling system. From what I can see it looks like the best choice would be the newer FC10 rather than the FC9. The FC10 is a bigger unit that is 435mm long so it is not a compact unit, but it has the ability to hold 3 - 2.5" drives and 2 - 3.5" drives as well as a slot loading optical drive if one wanted internal ripping. It can also handle a full size ATX board. This is compared to the FC9 which is stated to only hold 3 - 2.5" drives and the optical drive and is 348mm long. It becomes obvious from looking at the specs on all of their models that drive capacity is not the top of their list - pretty much all their models appear to be geared more towards the HTPC crowd rather than being designed for NAS usage. For our purposed this is somewhat of a shame as otherwise the construction quality of the cases seems superb.

However, there is one possible big downside to the Streacom units: they don't accept a standard ATX PS/2 power supply. As a matter of fact, they don't accept an internal power supply at all. In order to use any of them you also have to purchase one of their external brick type power supplies which connects to the back of the unit through an umbilical cord. That would be bad enough to start with but there is an internal cable and connector with a bit of a circuit board on it that then connects to the motherboard. To top it off the brick uses a removable power cable but not with a standard IEC connector. It instead has one of the smaller three contact connectors becoming popular on a lot of BluRay players and other compact devices. Take a look at the gallery here to get more of an idea of what I am talking about:

http://www.streacom.com/products/nano150-psu/

Interestingly in the FC10 description it says: "Power Supply: Nano150, Nano150XT, Nano180XT or StreaFlex 250 (not Included)". But the only power supply listed on their site is the Nano 150 so the others don't seem to exist. Looking at the case design it is obvious that they have eliminated the possibility of an internal power supply in favor of being able to handle two full size PCI cards which we would never need. But because of the machined aluminum design it looks like it would be hard work to modify the case for a standard ATX PS/2 power supply. In addition the cases are rather expensive at around the $450US mark for the FC10 or FC9. If it did everything we wanted it to do and gave a musical improvement it might be worth the expense and size. But with all the new variables brought up by the special power supply and the limited capacity I'd personally think it might be best to give them a pass for now.

That brings me to another case which, while not being quite as sturdy as the Streacom units, might be just what we are looking for. This would be the Lian Li PC -V354 aluminum case shown here in the black finish (also available in silver and, I believe, red):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 4AodIHoAIA

While I expect we'd want to get rid of the blue LEDs on the fans, and possibly the fans themselves, this unit otherwise appears like it might be ideal for the LS NAS. First off it can handle wither MicroATX or MiniITX motherboards (what confusing names with the Micro bing bigger than the Mini). Second, and this is a big one, it can handle 7 internal 3.5" drives and one external 5.25" drive. Third, it uses a standard ATX PS/2 power supply unit with the IEC connector available on the back panel (no extension cable). Fourth, it is reasonably compact at 9.65"W x 12.60"H x 16.54"D and 9.2 lbs. Not as compact as the Fractal Design NODE 304 but not too bad. And finally it is made out of aluminum with the sides held on by a number of screws. The one drawback I see, other than those blue fans, is that the motherboard is mounted vertically on one of the sides. If this does make the recommended motherboards sound worse this could be a problem. I suppose you could remofe the feet, put on some stick on feet and put it on its side. That wouldn't work well if you wanted the ripping drive internal, but since it should be better off external this may not matter.

As the Lina Li case sells for $149 it is not too expensive an alternative to the others so far discussed. Lian Li also has a newer aluminum case similar to the PC-V354 that is the PC-V355 but I don't think it is likely to be as good a choice. The good: the motherboard is placed horizontally on the bottom, the power supply still has access to the IEC connector, it is more compact at 11.14"W x 10.35"H x 15.2"D and the big, blue fans are gone from the front - replaced by a more discreet slot with a fan behind it. The bad: capacity is down to 4 - 3.5" drives and one 5.25" with external access but it comes out of the upper side! and the side panels are held on by some plastic clip-type devices. It appears that there were a number of complaints from users or the 354 about having to take so many tiny screws off to remove the sides and apparently Lian Li listened and removed all of them! Personally I don't think that is a good idea as early reviews claim there is a somewhat flimsy feel to the 355 as the side panels can move around a bit and even sometimes squeak! I would rather have the 8 screws per side of the 354 which I could then optimize the torque for.

So that's what I've discovered about cases so far. Interesting to see if another really good case comes to the fore.
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

Linnofil wrote: The Asus E45 Fusion is by far the best I have tested.
Do you mean: The best, or do you mean: the best alternative to the
Asus M45 pro or deluxe? Is it Asus or MSI?
jiddu_k

Post by jiddu_k »

Did some more testing yesterday.

LS NAS is running continously for one week now (as is the KDS, KK is on mute) and I think it is getting better due to burn in. I know this is hard to say as I have been changing things but each time I started a comparison I had the impression that it had improved from the last time - it could be the DS though.
However the leading voice isn't prominent any more and the soundstage is more homogenius now.

Tested direct mains connection (on open case) - again a small step in the right direction.

Changed direction of (provided) sata cable. Going back and forth two times there definitely is a reproducable difference and it is worthwhile to check it out.

Changed standard red sata cable for new Akasa Proslim AK-CBSA05-30BL - looking forward to the Deltaco, thanks Linnophil, will let you know when they arrive - which again was a small step forward when comparing the better direction of each cable.

Curios by the differences of the sata cables I tested another sata port on the motherboard - again there was a small improvement.

To sum it up - LS NAS is getting better and small tweaks (mains cable, turning the plug, sata cable, direction of sata cable, sata port) are worthwhile.

@Linnophil: Don't be sorry about suggesting the Node 304 - it is a nice case and you said it was untested. If the psu can be mounted when turned around (making place for a straight mains plug) I'm sure one can find a way into the case.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Linnofil wrote: I had a discussion with Music Lover about potential differences in the cables. Since the cable is flat the connectors can be flipped 180° on the cable. All cables have the two connectors flipped 180°, so it's a matter of comparing "text on the front" vs. "text on the back" in one end (MB or SSD) of the cables. At first I thought that there was a small difference, but after some more testing I concluded that it was the individual cables that sounded different.
Regarding burn in, the performance of my NAS still vary a lot after the latest upgrade (PSU 3 weeks ago)
And based on how many weeks (months) burning in can take, I advice those not perfectly happy with your LS NAS to take a deep breath.

Also I advice retesting your cables/direction after a month or two.
Personally I now use SATA cables of both versions in my NAS to let them burn in before retesting them later on this spring.
It's all about musical understanding!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

k_numigl wrote:
Linnofil wrote: The Asus E45 Fusion is by far the best I have tested.
Do you mean: The best, or do you mean: the best alternative to the
Asus M45 pro or deluxe? Is it Asus or MSI?
Sorry for the confusion on the Fusion! What I tried to say was that the best boards/platforms of the ones that I have tested has been the Asus E45M1 boards, in Mini-ITX and mATX form. I preferred the Mini-ITX when it was running Windows 7 Home Premium to the mATX when that was running Windows 7 Pro. I know that was an inconclusive test, but the owner of Mini-ITX PC would NOT have been happy if I returned the PC "uppgraded" with a clean install of Win 7 Pro and I didn't feel like upsetting my progress with my NAS with a clean install of Win 7 HP either.

I might do this test if I get an order to build a new LS NAS and have a clean/empty NAS to test this on. So far I haven't found anyone willing to pay me for building one. (I'm not willing to do all the work of ordering, collecting, building, installing, tweaking etc. for the cost of the parts alone.)

I have not tested any other suppliers offerings with the E-450 Fusion. I have always liked ASUS when building PC's in the past, so I started testing with them and was so amazed that I haven't looked back! The difference to all other PC's I tested was very big and I knew imediately that I was on to something good. The LS NAS is the product of that first platform test and many more tests after that.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Linnofil wrote:
Music Lover wrote:In total 1250€ with app. 600GB storage capacity.
Best invested 1.2k in many years!!!
A total revelation in music reproduction.
This is the "normal" reaction I have been used to. So I find it a bit surprising that some builders have problems while others (Nicolav) have such success with even half of the LS NAS!

I think this has to be burn in issues or other network anomalies.
You raise a valid point!
We know based on experience that a less optimized DS-network architecture and less optimized overall installation of the HIFI system, result in smaller differences between components and tweaks.
It CAN be something that affect the performance of the total HIFI system making the NAS enhancement less obvious. Or partly destroyed.

Based on the massive enhancement the PSU has been in some systems, (likely due to less dirt on the mains, cleaner voltage to the NAS and reduction of "bad" electromagnetic fields) what about something polluting the system where the LS NAS struggle to shine?

Worth investigating by removing everything in the house/apartment from the mains, just having the HIFI system connected.
Don't forget all PC and mobile chargers...
The really obsessed can also disconnect heating, fridge, lamps etc...
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Linnofil wrote:
David Neel wrote:I will try to reconfigure the network so that there is no internet access - I think I can do this by adding the wireless antenna to the LSNAS, then removing the cable between the GS105 switch and the main router. That will mean I can remove MSE.
This will be an interesting test, since it's better without the MSE. I don't know if adding DHCP server will affect the performance, maybe Music Lover can share what he is using so successfully?
Ahhh, you remember that I tested this with my NV+ ?
I found it was best disabling DHCP in NV+, using a DHCP add-on in the "control PC" where I had Kinsky.
After the DS and NAS got their IP-addresses I disconnected the PC.
But the Qnap109 was best using fixed IP.

As you guessed by know, no DHCP installed on the LS NAS either.

Would be interesting to test with/without dynamik IP allocation (=fixed IP) and with/without DHCP on the LS NAS and "control PC".
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

My specs:

• Case; Antec Fusion – discontinued
• PSU; Corsair Professional series 450W - discontinued
• Motherboard; Asus E45M1-I DELUXE mini-ITX / AMD E-450 / HD 6320 – 150€
• RAM; Kingston 2x4GB KtH9600B/4G 1333 mhz - 56€
• OS storage; Samsung 500GB HD501LJ - discontinued
• 2 * Asus SATA cable supplied with MB
• Power cord; Linn Longwell – 20€
• OS; Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) (OEM DVD) – 85€
• Mediaserver; Asset UPnP/Premium – 20€
• MSE antivirus, RDP host hack, OS upgraded

Network components:
Router: Apple Airport extreme
Switch: Netgear GS108
Network cables: SSTP CAT6 26AWG no brand 5 mt (sounds very good for me)

Next steps:
- Try to replace MSE with avg free and do a clean install of windows without updates.
- A comparison between my Corsair psu and the Seasonic X-460FL borrowed from Paolo.
- Test the Asus sata cable direction.
- Test the tightening torques of MB, HDDs and PSU (thanks to jiddu_k for the idea) with SR screwdriver
- Leave only ES.2 HDD for both OS and flacs.
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Nicolav wrote:Try to replace MSE with avg free and do a clean install of windows without updates.
THIS would be an interesting test! Looking forward reading your conclusion.
But I suggest if time permits changing only one parameter at the time:
1/ make a clean install of windows without updates and without MSE.
2/ update WIn, better? If not make a clean install of windows
2/ install MSE, better or worse?
3/ try other antivirus systems
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Saturday, I tried the psu Seasonic of Paolo in place of my Corsair.
During the first hour the Seasonic sounded really bad.
The next few hours he started to play at the same level of my Corsair.
Obviously, I was expecting more from this power supply! :)

Netx day, late night the Seasonic (and all the LS NAS) sounded so beautiful!
But yesterday it sounded hurt again...
As ML said this is really frustrating, but it's comforting to know that in the end it will be fine. ;)

Despite the break-in, it's clear that the LS NAS opens a new dimension in playing with the DS. It 's like listening for the first time, every song you listen to, even if we know well. You can not understand unless you try!
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Music Lover wrote:
Nicolav wrote:Try to replace MSE with avg free and do a clean install of windows without updates.
THIS would be an interesting test! Looking forward reading your conclusion.
But I suggest if time permits changing only one parameter at the time:
1/ make a clean install of windows without updates and without MSE.
2/ update WIn, better? If not make a clean install of windows
2/ install MSE, better or worse?
3/ try other antivirus systems
Yes, you are RIGHT!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Linnofil wrote: I feel really bad about recommending this case. I didn't realize the power cord problem when I put it on the list. I will try and change this as soon as I can. My apologies to you buyers/builders that have bought this case.
Linnofil, no apologies needed! The initial post was quite clear, you hadn't tried it, it just looked good on paper (or screen). I looked at several others before deciding that it was a good choice - so it was MY choice.

Anyway, there is another solution to the power cord extension issue - we can remove the internal extension cord completely! This would leave a hole in the back of the case where the IEC socket used to be, and allow a good quality power cord to go direct to the PSU. This power cord will require a right-angle connector at the PSU end, just like the internal one supplied. Linn do not offer this (I asked), but they buy their power cords from Volex, and Volex probably make an equivalent with a right-angle socket. This afternoon I spotted that my work laptop has a Volex power cord with exactly the same mains plug and Baohing cable as my Linn power cords. Now I just have to find out how to buy one, as I can't afford the Volex minimum quantity of 5,000 units. Maybe another 4,999 LSNAS builders would like to join me in an order?
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

The Linnofil Super NAS specification is updated!

From the first post on page one:

Edit 1, 2013-Feb-5:
1. Updated with new case, Cooler Master Elite 120 as some builders had problems with the originally suggested Fractal Design Node 304.
2. Added more info on the PSU, Platinum.
3. Reversed the order of suggested OS drives (item 6) to avoid users suffering from the 8mb bug on their OS drive.
4. Minor spell fixes.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linnofil wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:I am not looking at the Linnofil Super NAS only as a personal device. Since I work at a Linn store I am also thinking of the possibility of offering this device to customers who don't wish to undertake building one themselves.
With a nice fat bonus to the inventor for each one sold, surely? :-)
Certainly! What type of licensing fee would you desire? :-)