Linn Kaber - changing crossover?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

fettspeck

Linn Kaber - changing crossover?

Post by fettspeck »

Hi,
I own a pair of Kabers serial 8897. I´ve bought recently a pair of Kaber crossovers serial 14997/98. Does it make sense to change them? Will me Kaber sound better with the newer crossovers because between the production date of the two are ten years?
Thanks for your answers.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Kaber - changing crossover?

Post by anthony »

fettspeck wrote:Hi,
I own a pair of Kabers serial 8897. I´ve bought recently a pair of Kaber crossovers serial 14997/98. Does it make sense to change them? Will me Kaber sound better with the newer crossovers because between the production date of the two are ten years?
Thanks for your answers.
Somewhere on the circuit boards is an L and R number ie L1 R2 if the newer is higher it maybe worthwhile.
The major drawback will be Linns soldering is usually better than customers1
fettspeck

Post by fettspeck »

Thank you anthony,
I´ve found these numbers on the newer crossover. I´ll compare it to the other one. Soldering: I will not solder by myself. I´ve a person who is an expert on Linn who will do it for me. But he was not convinced that it would be an improvement. Why do you think it might be worthwhile changing the crossover?
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

kaber

Post by anthony »

fettspeck wrote:Thank you anthony,
I´ve found these numbers on the newer crossover. I´ll compare it to the other one. Soldering: I will not solder by myself. I´ve a person who is an expert on Linn who will do it for me. But he was not convinced that it would be an improvement. Why do you think it might be worthwhile changing the crossover?
Linn operate a continuous improvement policy, and ten years is a fair length of time.
Generally crossovers do not change much, but as already mentioned comparing the numbers will give you an indication
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

fettspeck wrote:Thank you anthony,
What are the numbers?
fettspeck

Post by fettspeck »

The newer one is PCAS 035/L3R4. The other one I have to open. I´ll check and post it tomorrow.
fettspeck

Post by fettspeck »

Both have same numbers. L3R4.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

fettspeck wrote:Both have same numbers. L3R4.
Ah there is you answer, no need to change.

The very first boards would have been L1R1.
fettspeck

Post by fettspeck »

Thank you for your help.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Agree fully with Anthony on this, there is unlikely to be any benefit to changing the boards. The last part of the number, L3R4 in your case, stands for Layout 3 Revision 4. If the actual layout of the board changes the L number will change, if components on the board change the R number will change. So theoretically a new product will start out with an L1R1 board. However, sometimes a problem is found or a better part is found in going from prototype to production so a new design could have an L2R1 or L1R2, etc. board.

Anyway, two boards that are L3R4 should be essentially the same. Especially in a speaker crossover any differences should be small, only detectable by a direct A/B comparison (rather hard to do) and likely swamped by the re-soldering involved. I would leave your speakers as is.
fettspeck

Post by fettspeck »

Thank you Thomas for your explanation. My thoughts were that in the newer crossover should work better parts than in the older one because of it`s later production date. I thought there could be a progress in the quality of the parts resulting in better sound.