Unidisk SC SW

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Thodo

Unidisk SC SW

Post by Thodo »

I have read much of the discussion of Unidisk software on this and other boards and have a few questions to those of you in the know. I have a recently purchased Unidisk SC so my questions are primarily about it:

- how does one check which version of SW is installed (and are there more than one? have seen ESS and H8? mentioned in other posts)

- how does one upgrade the firmware, other than taking it back to the Linn dealer which would make a/b comparisons somewhat slow (have heard using a disk, i am assuming you can download it somewhere?)

Thodo
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Press and hold the play key on the front until it goes into standby mode (old Unidisks lack the standby feature and have to be turned off).

Press and hold the Eject key on the front. After a while 'User Options' will appear. You can go through the user options with keys Stop and Pause (toggle between values with < and >) or press Eject again to enter 'System Info'.

Here you will find info about the circuit boards in the machine, the power/mains on time and three software versions; ESS, H8S and Mech. Write down what you find and send us the list if you have any questions.

You exit by pressing Play.
Thodo

Post by Thodo »

Great thanks for that. Have interrogated my SC and here's a summary of what i found:

Mech Version: 03.04.00.00
ESS Software Version: S1860223
H8S Software Version: S1150217
H8S Time/Date: Mar 1 2006 11:54:56

Does the SC use the same software as the 1.1 and 2.1? It _sounds_ like the same sort of version numbers. Where do you get the disk images for the different versions of software?

Thanks again!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Congratulations, you have the latest versions of everything for your SC, and also the best sounding ones. I compared ESS 221 against 223 on the SC and found 223 to be better.

The software for SC is different from the one for 1.1 and 2.1.

Disk images? Only Linn retailers have access to the software, if that is what you mean. I think Linn wants it that way in case something goes wrong with the installation. There procedure also varies quite a bit between different machines and types of software.
Thodo

Post by Thodo »

Excellent, thanks for the info. :)
Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Hello,
I have also an Unidisk SC since may 2004 (one of the first in the Netherlands). Mine has been in Scotland for 3 times now. The last time in october 2006.

I found the following versions:
Mech Version: 03.04.00.00
ESS Software Version: S1860224
H8S Software version: S1150218
H8S Time/Date: May 10 2006 10:13:52

So only 2 months later new software was available.

Anyone having problems with DVD R+ and DVD RW+? I have a lot of problems with these discs. So I am now playing only DVD R- and DVD RW-.

Wouter
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome here, Wouter!

I have problems with DVD +R and +RW on my unidisk 1.1 and used to have pretty much identical problems on the SC that it replaced. I don't know why the + formats are more troublesome (I have also encountered several other non-Linn machines not liking +R and +RW) and would like to know more about the reason. So far I have not devoted any time to this, just avoided those discs.