improving?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

audiokaas

improving?

Post by audiokaas »

Probably a silly question but with these switchmode powersupplies it would seem to make sense to add ferrite rings to the powercable but I don't see them nor see them discussed?
Anybody tried this?
frederic?

Just thought I'd ask before reinventing the wheel :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

If the SMPS (switch mode power supply) is well constructed, you will only get a degradation by adding ferrites to the power cords. Every SMPS has filtering on the mains input, otherwise it would not pass the electrical emission regulations. Adding ferrites to the power cords is to add further filtering.

So far it has not been beneficial with Linn's SMPS's.
audiokaas

Post by audiokaas »

This might be true yet they lack in the majik range and are a feature in the akkurate range.
I also know they are before the SMP in the chakra twin and after the smps in the Kremlin???

So you can see i'mm puzzled, seems like a nice tweak....

Lex
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You can always try it. Get a bunch of power cords, check that they sound the same, cut them all in half and then resolder one without any ferrite, the second with one type of ferrite, the third with a different ferrite etc.

You will then have identical cables except for the different ferrites on them. Now compare these cables on different machines and take notes of how they sound.

If all power supplies involved really are optimised, it should be the same cable (the one without ferrite) that wins all the time. But if one power supply is not really optimal, it might improve with some additional filtering.

One drawback with this is that the ground conductor will not like the added filtering. Live and neutral is where it's needed.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

There are some ferrites that can clamp on a cable. I know that TDK used to sell some like this in the US. If you check around you will probably find some available. I don't know if they function exactly the same as the solid ones but they would allow you to check their effects without having to cut any cables. Just an idea.
audiokaas

Post by audiokaas »

Tried all options, no difference to my ears.

Lex

Michell Orbe/SME/Milltek, Akurate cd/kontrol, 2250's active Ninka