lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

New ESS and H8S for Unidisk 1.1 and 2.1

Post by lejonklou »

Today Linn released new software for the Unidisk 1.1 and 2.1:
H8S - version 218
ESS - version 227

I am hoping for the best regarding both bugs, previous lipsynch issues and sound quality on all formats.

Not sure if the H8S is really needed to upgrade on older units, as the only thing mentioned is "support for L4 engine boards". But I suspect that as usual there are other minor changes as well.

The mentioned ESS changes are these:
• Support for HDCP Repeaters.
• Improvements to HDCP processing.
• Fixed bugs relating to navigation on certain DVD-Videos.
• Fixed bug relating to lip sync on Deutsche Grammophon DVD-Videos.

My recommendation when it comes to software updates, if you have a fully functional machine, is to sit back for a while, let others evaluate it and when the reports are all positive, visit your dealer for the update.
jajo

Post by jajo »

Lipsync issues on ALL of my DVDs are gone with 227. Excellent!

Other good news: I have played 10 of my favorite CDs and 227 is a huge improvement over 221/223/224. Huge. I prefered 221 over 223/224.

/ Jacob
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

jajo wrote:227 is a huge improvement over 221/223/224. Huge.

:shock:

Yeeeeees! :mrgreen:
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have tried it on my 1.1 and although I only have one ear to listen with (I have unfortunately damaged my left ear, but hopefully it will heal soon), I am not 100% convinced of the sound quality on CD over 221.

227 sounds like half way towards 223; more exact, defined and articulated. On a few tracks this seemed more tuneful. Going back to 221 is becomes less impressive and things sound more "mixed together", but on some tracks I feel the flow and rhythm is easier.

It might be me and my current bad hearing, so I welcome any additional feedback on this. If lipsynch is improved that is in itself a very nice improvement for us DVD fans!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Please confirm if you use ESS227 with the old H8S (217) or the new H8S (218).
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It seems to be the same differences no matter the H8S. We are also doing this comparison on different machines: 1.1 versus 2.1. Then there is the question of whether the age of the Unidisk matters (which I think it doesn't).

I currently don't have time to evaluate this any further, so I will play on 227/218 and go back later.

Anyone else trying the new software is very welcome to report. To those not quite so restless :wink:, I repeat my recommendation to sit back, relax, enjoy and do this at some later, convenient time.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I agree with Fredrik. My very first impression (I've installed new ESS and H8S last night and only listened to a few tracks) is that on CD 227 resolves better than 221, expecially bass and rhythms, but a bit of flow and melody get lost.

I'm still not sure which version sounds more tuneful, though by instinct I'd say that 221 could (still) be the winner! :(

Paolo
jajo

Post by jajo »

I wish I would come to the same conclusion. On my 2.1, there is no question that 227 is better in tunedem. I have performed some further testing during the evening and it confirms this. Anyone with any idea why I am experiencing this? Maybe I am just nuts...

/ Jacob
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

jajo wrote:Anyone with any idea why I am experiencing this?
What board revision do you, Fredrik and Paolo have?

Talking to a dealer earlier today asking how good the Akurate CD and the latest Unidisk SW are, he told me that 227 going to sound better on a recent Unidisk.
Especially on a L4 board revision Unidisk.
The L4 board is used also in Akurate CD.
However, he hadn´t yet verified this info by open the players and not yet upgraded Unidisks of different age.
He told me to give him a week or two before he was able to confirm the info.

(Remember that H8S 218 release notes mention L4 support)

Yet uncorfirmed but atleast a lead to follow up on!

btw, he consider Akurate CD a bit better than a brand new (one day old) 1.1 running ESS224/H8S218 = the SW a new unit has.
He is to upgrade that unit to 227 soon...and compare again.

Talking to more dealers, I have yet to hear any consider 1.1 better.
Note - None of them had ESS227 installed...
paolo

Post by paolo »

What board revision do you, Fredrik and Paolo have?
I have an old Unidisk 1.1, board is L1. It would be interesting to know if the new SW behaves differently with different board revisions, anyone with the latest board can report?

Another good point is if the H8S SW has any influence on sound. I've only listened to 30 s. of a track between ESS and H8S upgrades and after having completed the latter it seems to me only the ESS affects the sound, but I'm not 100% sure. If this is the case then we can focus only on the ESS as for sound quality.

Paolo
jajo

Post by jajo »

I'll check which board revision I have when I get home tonight.

My 2.1 is from December 2006 so I guess it is a fairly recent board.

/ Jacob
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Which of the boards are you referring to? My 1.1 is from 2006 and several of the boards are of revision L3.

I am still a bit sceptical of 227, will return to 221 soon. The interesting thing is that although they sound quite different, it is not easy to decide which is better.
jajo

Post by jajo »

All of mine are L3 except one that is L4.

/ Jacob
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

jajo wrote:All of mine are L3 except one that is L4.

/ Jacob
And that bord is...?

It has to be a reason that Jacob's 2.1 is better using 227.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

We did a short test, too.

Unit: Unidisk 1.1 without fan (L1), but with standby as HW upgrade
Software before: 03.04.00.00/217/221
Software after: 03.04.00.00/217/227
(H8S was not updated since there was no PC at hand)

Test CDs:
Strauss: Vier letzte Lieder (Schwarzkopf/Szell)
Berlioz: Nuits d'ete (Baker/Barbirolli)
Vader: Impressions in blood

Regarding tune-dem both software versions are quite on par, with 221 only (but still) a little bit better than 227. 227 sounded more precise, more detailed than 221, but lifeless and empty in comparison. Funnily the Vader CD suffered from this most, it became a heavy metal CD without being "heavy", well, not really, but at least in comparison.
jajo

Post by jajo »

OK - after checking this properly I can now see the following board id:

PCAS297L4R2

/ Jacob
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have L3R4. But is this the only board that counts?

I found your description of 227 versus 221 very descriptive, sommerfee. Those were exactly my initial impressions.

I think I need to hear this on a 2.1 as well. Maybe yours if I get the opportunity, Jajo?

Our differing results must depend on either; Unidisk model (1.1 / 2.1), version of boards, OR we actually perceive things differently.
jajo

Post by jajo »

Ah, I now realize there are more boards. I just checked the first one.

Even if I find it strange, the fact that we might perceive things differently is not impossible. The majority seem to like 221 better, but I still find 227 an improvement (which 223 was not!) and I am very happy with it.

I recommend people to wait with their upgrades unless the lipsync is causing a problem.

/ Jacob
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

jajo wrote:OK - after checking this properly I can now see the following board id:
PCAS297L4R2
Really interesting!
You are the only one with a L4 board, and with 2.1.

This is the engine board. (with the Silver engine). The MECH software is uploaded with a cable to this board.
The power from the PSU is also connected to it.

The audio board (PCAS359 for 1.1, PCAS378 for 2.1) and video board (PCAS317) are connected to the engine board with flatcables, normally found in PC's. :roll:

Going to be interesting to have the 227 upgrade result of other L4 Unidisks!

As 2.1 has a different audio board...can that affect the 227 performace?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hello everybody,
just curiours to know if anybody else has reached his conclusions with the new ESS227. I have finally decided to stick with 221, which with my (old) Uni1.1 provides consistently better tune/melody, tough with a less impressive and articulated sound. Using 227 I realized I was listening to the music less frequently and with less enthusiasm. This is all that matters of course.

On a side aurgument I think it would be VERY interesting to know how the various SW versions behave in the comparison between Uni 1.1 and Akurate CD. I'm thinking infact to swap my 1.1 for an Akurate CD in the near future - I don't use the video part of the machine - but I'm concerned about the sound quality of the new machine.

My thoughts are like this: IF the latest 1.1s with ESS227 sound like my 1.1 with ESS227 AND the Akurate cd sounds the same way, THEN.....well I prefer staying with my machine and the old SW :D
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I had the opportunity to hear 227 versus 221 again today. This time I thought 221 was a lot better on a 1.1 from 2006 (H8S was 217 and could not be upgraded at the time).

I could dance to the track when I started listening with 221, but after installing 227 it became difficult. The sound was stiff and exact, but had no flow. Back again to 221 and the feet started moving.

I know that sounds like a Linn slogan from the 80's :), but it was my main impression. 221 flows.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote: This time I thought 221 was a lot better on a 1.1 from 2006
If I understand correct - you saying that the difference was big this time.
How many Unidisk´s have you compared 221/227 on?

Is the conclusion that Unidisk´s react on the SW in different ways?

Have you compared the performance on SACD and DVD, or is it just using CD´s?

I just HAVE to load 221 on my unit to check.
And if I have time I try to reproduce the difference with/without "reset" I heard installing 227.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Music Lover wrote:If I understand correct - you saying that the difference was big this time.
Hmmm... Big and small. The feeling that flow was missing was important. I found the tune easy to follow on both, the difference was mostly emotional. I would guess a strict Tune Dem where you don't care about the song could be difficult. But if you do a Tune Dem with a song that really moves you, 221 will win more easily.
How many Unidisk´s have you compared 221/227 on?
Only 2 so far. Both recent 1.1's. I hope soon to hear a 3rd.
Is the conclusion that Unidisk´s react on the SW in different ways?
No, my conclusion so far is that 221 is simply better. But I have still to hear Jajo's 2.1 - it might be better on 227.
Have you compared the performance on SACD and DVD, or is it just using CD´s?
Only CD's
I just HAVE to load 221 on my unit to check.
Yes, you do! :D But do it according to Linn's instructions, including the reset. No need to experiment with incorrect installations, I'd say!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote:
Music Lover wrote:If I understand correct - you saying that the difference was big this time.
Hmmm... Big and small. The feeling that flow was missing was important. I found the tune easy to follow on both, the difference was mostly emotional. I would guess a strict Tune Dem where you don't care about the song could be difficult. But if you do a Tune Dem with a song that really moves you, 221 will win more easily.
So basically same difference as last time then...

OK, the CDR's have been burned. Report back!
Admit that I'm little scared what happens IF the CD's arn't single session/finalised as they should according to the instructions.
Can the 1.1 crash and have to go back to Scotland :|
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Music Lover wrote:Admit that I'm little scared what happens IF the CD's arn't single session/finalised as they should according to the instructions.
If it is not properly finalised, the Unidisk will not recognise the disc. So far I have never had a problem with ESS upgrades.