Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Naim Hiline with Linn connectors?

Post by Efraim roots »

Hi!
When I got my Uphorik I had to modify my rca-din naim hilne to fit the Uphorik outputs wich are placed far apart. The work was done poorly (by professional) and I feel I have to do something about it sooner or later.

The hiline is fitted with WBT nextgen rca connectors, either I get it restored to original with new wbt connectors. I could also fit Linn Silver connectors. My question is, is Linn connectors always the best rca connector, on every cable, or do you think there is a synergy with wbt connectors and the construction of hiline?
the players of instruments shall be there..
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I can't comment on Naim's Hiline, but I have never noticed any synergy between connectors and the cable it terminates. A better part is better and a worse part is worse.

The above refers to musical performance. If one tries to obtain a certain sound, as most HiFi companies do, it's certainly possible to create synergy. A little brightness from this and some pitch black darkness from that, it will blend perfectly. Musically, the result is a disaster.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Thanks Lejonklou, this was my suspicion. I must say the Hiline is actually very good in musical terms. Naim Power line (EU) isn't better than the best Linn power chords. Hiline is another story as it's clearly better than both standard Naim interconnect and also Linn Black. A real upgrade if you use Naim amps, not of the hifi mumbo jumbo kind. I should try it with Linn Silver rca connectors.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I need a really good rca to 3,5mm plug interconnect for my recording device, as well as 2 Linn silver phono connectors for my rca to din Hiline, mentioned above.

I could buy a original Linn silver rca interconnect and cut it and solder 3,5mm stereo plug at the recording device end, then clean the left over connectors and fit them to my Hiline.

I want both interconnects to be of best possible quality. Is this idea any good, is the "recycled" silver connectors as good as a fresh pair?