What DAC for the picture is used in the Unidisk?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Rutger

What DAC for the picture is used in the Unidisk?

Post by Rutger »

What DAC does Linn use for its picture performance in the unidisk ?

Is it from sony ? Is it a 12 bit , 108 Mhz chip, or something else ?

What MPEG 2 decoder is used in the Unidisk ?
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Is there someone who can tell me what DAC it is ?
Leijonklou, you must shurely now, dont you?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry Rutger, I don't. I install and tune the video part of home cinema systems, but optimising the sound is my main focus.

I have not designed or built any kind of video equipment and have not seen how the Unidisks are made. It would for sure be interesting to learn more, but there is no time! :cry:
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

This kind of information is not easy to find as Linn don't talk much about what chips they use, etc. The thing that sets Linn products apart is the implementation as much as the parts used. This is in large part why Linn prefer to be judged solely on the performance of their units - not on which parts they choose to use.

I was able to dig into my hard drive and find this information from an Australian review although I'm not sure of the name of the magazine.

"The top board contains the video circuitry. The player contains pretty much state-of-the-art components: I noticed a Silicon Image Sil504CM208 PureProgressive video deinterlacer, plus 2 Analog Devices ADV7300AKST 12 bit/108 MHz 4:4:4 video D/A converters featuring Noise Shaped Video processing. I think one is used for interlaced video output, and the other for progressive. DVI/HDCP output is performed by a Silicon Image SiI170BCL64 PanelLink transmitter. Video signal output is performed by Analog Devices AD8062 300MHz amplifiers.

The build quality is excellent. All circuit boards are uncluttered and of high quality, and feature surface mounted components exclusively. There are no hand soldered connections and connections between circuit boards are made using ribbon cables. Because of Linn's use of a switching power supply, voltage regulators are used extensively in the design, and I was pleased to see very good quality regulators being employed."

In their conclusion they stated: "The Unidisk 2.1 is easily the best looking and best sounding player I have reviewed to date, with state of the art video quality and audio quality that beats other manufacturers' high end products."

This review was printed early in 2004 so it was of an early model. Linn has a policy of continuous improvement of their products so it is possible that some of the chips mentioned have been replaced with newer versions on later models. Although this is a review of the UniDisk 2.1 the 1.1 uses the same video circuitry. The video circuits in the SC are not quite of the same quality but are still very good.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

One othr piece of information I missed on the last post from the same source.

"MPEG Decoder: Linn Silver Disk Engine (incorporating ESS Vibratto Videodrive ES6038F)"
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Thank you Thomas for this interesting information !

It seems like Linn is using state of the art components for their video performance.

( Not cheap standard Sony Ic).

Is " Silver disc engine " av collaboration between Linn and Sony ?

I read it in the danish " High fidelity " paper, some years ago, but I don´t know if it´s true, is it ?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Rutger wrote:
Is " Silver disc engine " av collaboration between Linn and Sony ?

I read it in the danish " High fidelity " paper, some years ago, but I don´t know if it´s true, is it ?
The Silver Disc Engine was indeed a joint project to create a high-end universal disc player by Sony (basic transport technology), ESS (decoding chip technology) and Linn. Linn was the company who did all the audio circuitry, human interface and complete transport design. In essence they did the vast majority of the design and implementation work with some help from Sony and ESS. The plan was to make a design available at at least two different levels of performance and to OEM the Silver Disc Engine to other manufacturers. These companies would buy a package including the transport and decoding engine and would then put it in their own case with power supply and audio stages of their own design. Linn was in charge of all licensing and manufacturing parts of the agreements. I don't know how successful the OEM project has been as no details of licensees has been published. It is possible that the early teething problems scared others off. The limited amount of initial help from Sony (not wanting to give Linn access to the software that controls the laser) is part of the reason there were so many early problems.

Although it is not well known, Linn has done OEM projects before. Loewe has had components made for them by Linn and there was a McIntosh CD player that used the Ikemi transport. I had heard rumors that other companies were looking at or planning to use the Silver Disc Engine including Classe and Wadia but I don't know if any of these actually ended up on the market.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Thank you very much for this useful information!

What about the classik movie player-05 ?

Do you know something about the videchip in this unit ?
Why has Classik movie NOT progressive scan ?

I have tested several units from different brands, and often the progressive scan, offers superior video performance over HDMI.

Why hasn´t Linn Progressive scan in Classic movie, just ordinary 576i, component ?