LP 12 A/C ground wire

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

yours in music

LP 12 A/C ground wire

Post by yours in music »

The Linn installation guide speaks about an optional green A/C ground wire attached to the rear chassis bolt, where there is also the P-clip.

My LP12 does not have this ground wire (I am not speaking about the tonearm nor the Keel earth jumper wire).

Would like to know the interet of this A/C ground wire, in which circumstances should it be fitted (may be in all situations?), what improvment does it bring and how to install one?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It's possible to ground the LP12 to the mains ground, either with a special Lingo cable or when using a Basik/Valhalla power supply. To determine whether there is any need for this, one has to look at the grounds of the entire system.

On my phono stages (KINKI3 and Slipsik 5), I have an external ground wire that should be attached IF there is a hum problem in the system. This wire connects turntable ground to mains ground. This serves the same purpose as the Linn optional ground wire.

If you have a Kikkin or a Linn preamp and all units in your system have their power cords going to the same distribution block (grounds meeting at that point), the optimal situation is that neither the LP12 nor the phono stage turntable ground is connected to mains ground.

In that case; don't use any optional ground wire to the LP12. And don't connect the extra ground cable at the back of KINKI3 or Slipsik 5.
yours in music

Post by yours in music »

Is this possible with the Radikal power supply?
For the rest of the system, I use Jadis tube phono preamp, line stage and power monoblocks, each with their external power supply, with a little bit complex installation using two power strips and two wall outlets.
Ground issues is something which eludes me, could post some pictures.
yours in music

Post by yours in music »

I forgot to say that the phono and line preamps have a chassis grounding post, and I attach the tonearm cable earth wire to the phono preamp grounding post (otherwise there is hum), and not to the Keel (dont ask me why, I just happened to have done like this so far).

These two preamps are plugged to one star grounded acoustic revive power strip, together with the power amp monoblocks.
The power cables are active shielded synergistic research for Jadis electronics.

The second power strip (audio replas) receives the LP12 AC cable (now a Crystal dreamline power cord), the CD12 AC cable (acrolink) and the AC cable (Acoustic revive) powering the power supply for the active shielding of the synergistic research cable
yours in music

Post by yours in music »

Would be very interested to have reference documents regarding ground issues...
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

yours in music wrote:Would be very interested to have reference documents regarding ground issues...
There are some legitimate articles and reports regarding electrical grounding for various consumer products which can be found on the internet (i.e., Google, etc.)... 8)
Tony Tune-age