Question regarding 2*Linto

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Question regarding 2*Linto

Post by lejonklou »

Those of you who are using two Linto's (one channel on each), could you tell me whether it is an improvement to short out the inputs of the unused channels?

By shorting out, I mean connecting an RCA (phono) plug with a connection between ground and signal to the input you are not using on both Linto's.

If you've tried this and it became worse, have you tried with a resistor instead of short circuit in the RCA plug? 10 ohms, 100 ohms, 1 kohm?

I'm doing some experiments here and became curious about how the Linto reacts.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I haven't tried this - really never thought of it. I just sold my Lintos and have to order a couple of new ones. I'll have to give it a try once I have my new units in place.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thomas and Lejonklou, going forward will many people want to use two Linto's since the Linn Urika is better sounding? And how much better is the Urika than using two Linto's?
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Whenever I've tried twin phono stages (Kairn, Kinki, Slipsik), the improvement has been marginal. A bit better and "more of the same", if you see what I mean.

Changing to a different and better phono stage is much more rewarding. I expect the same from Urika, but don't have as much experience with it as I'm sure others in here do.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

One new Linn Urika is less money than two new Linto's, and maybe cheaper than two used Linto's. What I find attractive with the Urika, is it frees-up an audio shelf - which could be used for another component if needed.
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'd have to say that I found two Lintos to be more than a marginal upgrade. While it isn't huge I definitely felt it was worth the money and a significant improvement.

That said there is no question that the Urika is substantially better yet for less money. It is actually a fair bit cheaper when you consider it includes a Trampolin 2+ and a pair of Linn Silver interconnects. Subtract these two out and it becomes $2850US vs. $4000US for the two Lintos. If you buy it with the Radikal the combined discount saves you another $850US making the Urika in essence the same price as a single new Linto ($2000US).

It is true that even used two Lintos end up costing about that much but not everyone has $6550US lying around to spend on the Radikal/Urika combo. So the addition of a second Linto that is being sold by someone upgrading to Urika can certainly be a cost effective upgrade, even if it is only an interim one in the long term.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

It's interesting how audio components can be valued by different people. One thing is true, the Sondek has a wide range of available upgrades to fit nearly any budget.

It has been most enjoyable hearing how each upgrade can improve the sound.
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:I'd have to say that I found two Lintos to be more than a marginal upgrade. While it isn't huge I definitely felt it was worth the money and a significant improvement.

So the addition of a second Linto that is being sold by someone upgrading to Urika can certainly be a cost effective upgrade, even if it is only an interim one in the long term.
Thomas, could any damage be caused to either Linn Linto, since there wouldn't be a signal going through one of the channels?
Tony Tune-age
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

linto

Post by anthony »

There will be no damage. It would make far more sense to save your money, you would forget the differences within weeks.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: linto

Post by Tony Tune-age »

anthony wrote:There will be no damage. It would make far more sense to save your money, you would forget the differences within weeks.
Actually, the Urika is cheaper than purchasing two new Linn Lintos' :) . But people might be able to find two used Lintos' for less money than a new Urika :wink: .

I've heard of people using two Lintos' but never knew if it was really a good idea, although I now know the story... :)
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Nope, no damage. The only possible downside I could see is that one channel of each Linto will burn in more than the other. When you end up selling them to get a Urika they might sound a bit funny in stereo for a little while.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:Nope, no damage. The only possible downside I could see is that one channel of each Linto will burn in more than the other.
Another down side (at least for me), it would take more space for two Lintos' and probably an additional audio shelf :? .
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

But with the Urika you could sell a shelf instead - if it's constructed in separate layers of course.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:But with the Urika you could sell a shelf instead
True, or not have to buy that additional shelf 8) . Overall I'm trying to minimize the number of shelves needed for my system, or at the very least, not needing additional shelves :!:
Tony Tune-age