The death of K400

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The death of K400

Post by Tendaberry »

K248 seems like a good, logical name for them, I don't have a problem with the looks.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Sopper wrote: 2024-03-29 22:16 It’s K400, no matter what name you print on shrinking tube. I’d rather put some effort in making them look a little better: mesh weave helps
But that’s my opinion… no offense
+1
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Tendaberry wrote: 2024-03-30 11:03 K248 seems like a good, logical name for them
I am just wondering how many can use such a short speaker cable.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

It seems that many here do...
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Tendaberry wrote: 2024-04-02 11:58 It seems that many here do...
Yes, It seems to be possible when you put all your devices between your speakers.......
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Now I'm not going to guarantee the results as I haven't tried it with Lejonklou gear. However, it was said that you were better off with long preamp to amp cables and short speaker cables with Linn electronics and I can state that I found it did work in several circumstances. Both Linn and Lejonklou preamps can drive long cables without problem (this even applies to Lejonklou phono stages) so you might want to try that kind of setup if your room would allow. Note that Fredrik found that the musical quality diminished more quickly for lengths shorter than the optimum 2.48 meters of K400 than it does for cables longer than that.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sopper wrote: 2024-03-29 22:16 It’s K400, no matter what name you print on shrinking tube. I’d rather put some effort in making them look a little better: mesh weave helps
But that’s my opinion… no offense
Hi Sopper, I understand your take on it and I did think your cables looked interesting. As to the name, while it is certainly made from K400, as soon as you split it in half it no longer is K400. If I need any other reason to feel fine about giving it my own name I need look no farther than the fact that Linn came out with a second version of their product named the T.Kable that is clearly made with Mogami microphone wire. So I think I can call my product made with K400 whatever I want.

As to the heat shrink I'm afraid that working around Fredrik has made me a member of the non-bling group (if I wasn't already). More to the point I'm not big on adding time and expense to the product that doesn't add musicality or functionality. As you might notice, when I make these cables I strip out the web between the two sections. This makes for a sleeker and easier to handle cable but removes all the text. This then required some way to indicate the proper direction, hence the labeled heat-shrink with the arrows. I found a company who would custom make them for me in a reasonable size batch and it only adds a cost of $1.60 for the four pieces needed for a pair of cables. That seemed reasonable to me for the improvement in function and cleaning up the ends a little bit. But we each do things our own way. My dealers really didn't care about the looks, they were just wanting to be able to offer the wonderful performance that these cables offer. The early ones I made only had a little white heat shrink on the source end to indicate direction. I thought this was at least a little classier and also provided a name to use in talking about them.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I can say that optimum speaker cable length is best. I have some surround speakers Linn K104. I had Linn silvers as the interconnect, and long speaker cables to get to the speakers. I swapped to optimum length speaker cables and long Linn black interconnect, I think 4m long, with the amp moved closer to the speakers. Much more musical and sounds better.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote: 2024-04-02 21:17
Yes Thomas, you are completely right to go with shorter speaker cables and longer ICs.
It is just in my case that I prefer to have nothing between my speakers and I am fine with my seven meters speaker cables.
So I can nicely feed all from one mains distributor.
Matt