Broken Speaker Plug Socket on Boazu

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Broken Speaker Plug Socket on Boazu

Post by springwood64 »

A few days ago one of the speaker plug sockets on my Boazu broke.

The plastic exterior sheared off from the threaded collar, and the socket disappeared inside the case.

I think that this was caused by sideways tension from the K400, imposing a sustained diagonal pull on the socket.

I was able to glue the part back together, but it's obviously now a lot weaker, so have bought replacement sockets ready for when it fails again.

Thanks Frederik for the sticker inside the Boazu case with all the torques.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Broken Speaker Plug Socket on Boazu

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Pete!

I'm sorry to hear your speaker socket broke. It's happened a couple of times since I started using them in 2012 and the main reason seems to be that they've been tightened too hard with the inside nut during the assembly of the unit. This has caused stress on the outer plastic ring and with time and heavy speaker cables pulling on the socket, it can finally break. I'm repairing the broken ones free of charge, but if the unit is far away the shipping might be prohibitive and it's better repaired locally. If so, I ship new sockets, solder and instructions to the owner.

I've tried replacing these speaker sockets with something unbreakable, but the alternatives have all sounded worse and I can't bring myself to put a worse sounding connector on the amp. My hope is that a correctly tightened inside nut will prevent them from breaking in the future.

Another idea I had was to put a second nut, preferably a round and rather thin one, on the outside of the amp. So one nut holds it from the inside and one nut from the outside. That should be close to unbreakable. Then I tried finding a nut that fits on those fine threads of the socket and it turns out the thread is 5/16" British Brass Thread. That is quite unusual, so I have so far failed to find a nut that isn't really bulky and looks terrible.

If anyone has a tip on where I can find a round, thin and preferably black 5/16" BBT (also called BSB, British Standard Brass) nut, I would be very grateful. Having a special one made in this odd size is really expensive and probably not worth it.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I found this here, threaded sockets:

https://www.stahlprodukte.com/de/produkte/fittings/

Custom products are mentioned below. Although the specific thread is missing, it may be worth asking.
Trust your ears
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-03-24 23:28 I ship new sockets, solder and instructions to the owner.
Great service - thanks.

I used the link posted elsewhere on the forum to buy this from TME:
Socket;4mm banana;10A;50VDC;28.5mm;black;nickel plated;10mΩ
Mfr: DELTRON; Original part number: 551-0100; RoHS-compliant
If that is the correct part, no need to send me replacements.

Instructions would be great tho.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hermann wrote: 2024-03-25 06:12 I found this here, threaded sockets:

https://www.stahlprodukte.com/de/produkte/fittings/

Custom products are mentioned below. Although the specific thread is missing, it may be worth asking.
Thank you Hermann! I will ask them.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

springwood64 wrote: 2024-03-25 07:48
lejonklou wrote: 2024-03-24 23:28 I ship new sockets, solder and instructions to the owner.
Great service - thanks.

I used the link posted elsewhere on the forum to buy this from TME:
Socket;4mm banana;10A;50VDC;28.5mm;black;nickel plated;10mΩ
Mfr: DELTRON; Original part number: 551-0100; RoHS-compliant
If that is the correct part, no need to send me replacements.

Instructions would be great tho.
Yes, the part is Deltron 551. Black is -0100 and red is -0500.

Will send you instructions by email.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

springwood64 wrote: 2024-03-24 10:36 A few days ago one of the speaker plug sockets on my Boazu broke.

The plastic exterior sheared off from the threaded collar, and the socket disappeared inside the case.

I think that this was caused by sideways tension from the K400, imposing a sustained diagonal pull on the socket.

I was able to glue the part back together, but it's obviously now a lot weaker, so have bought replacement sockets ready for when it fails again.

Thanks Frederik for the sticker inside the Boazu case with all the torques.
Happened allready twice with my Tundra.... all fixed perfectly so no hard feelings :)
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5