Linn Lp 12 orientation springs low frequency swing

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

ROBIZ

Linn Lp 12 orientation springs low frequency swing

Post by ROBIZ »

In an early 80s Linn lp 12 manual is said that by rotating the springs by trials and error is possible to get the most low frequency swing and bass response from the Lp 12 . I don't think to have found the same statement in subsequent owner and english manual .
what said in the early manual is correct or not ?
John
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Lp 12 orientation springs low frequency swing

Post by John »

Do you have a link to the setup manual you’re referring to?
ROBIZ

Post by ROBIZ »

No I don't .
ROBIZ

Post by ROBIZ »

I know tnat one side of the spring is hard and one is soft . But I don't think it could be possible to get a swing motion really low.
In other words I cannot think that by a perfect orientation of the spring you can obtain such a low frecquency bounce such as you can by a minus K isolation platform just to quote an example .
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

the spring topic is complex and in the end all the 3 springs need to work together rather than against each other. Yes turning the springs helps to cancel sideways movement. But that is art. I believe what you state is right.
There was even a test having your needle on the record without spinning the platter engaging the up and down movement (bounce) there should be no pumping to be seen in your loudspeakers bass drivers.
But be careful to not kill your cartridge.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Adjusting the springs removes sideways motion, as Defender just wrote. The closer to a single frequency piston like bounce, the better.

Adjusting the springs doesn’t change the fundamental bounce frequency, but it can remove the overtone oscillations of the subchassis.
ROBIZ

Post by ROBIZ »

Ths for your answers. Now everything is understandable .
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

ROBIZ wrote: 2023-03-18 19:52 I know tnat one side of the spring is hard and one is soft . But I don't think it could be possible to get a swing motion really low.
In other words I cannot think that by a perfect orientation of the spring you can obtain such a low frecquency bounce such as you can by a minus K isolation platform just to quote an example .
The Linn spring is simply a conical spring made to Linns specifications and it's not specifically designed or engineered to be hard on one side and soft on the other if that's what you meant, it's a spring made like many other springs in that where the lead of the coil wire starts and where it ends in the construction of the spring creates slight differences in vertical tensions throughout it's circumference -at certain points one side of the spring may have 11 coils and on the other side 12, also where the wider dia. end coils overlap for example- thus spinning the spring in conjunction with the other springs can cancel unwanted or wanted motions/frequencys in or out as Legonklou stated to meet the desired bounce.. Many years ago Linn actually made a change to the springs where they were once wound counterclockwise they are now wound clockwise, not sure why and Linn never told us but they weren't any easier or harder to set up that I recall.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
ROBIZ

Post by ROBIZ »

Ths for your answer . You 're right . I recall the older springs and were different .
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-03-18 21:25Adjusting the springs doesn’t change the fundamental bounce frequency, but it can remove the overtone oscillations of the subchassis.
That's interesting Fredrik. I find that when my springs are out of adjustment, the bounce frequency appears faster than when they are adjusted optimally. This could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it doesn't appear so.
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Isn’t that because the springs are locked up, so that the fundamental frequency is blocked and only overtones remain?
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Don't know, possibly?
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D