Majik 109 placement

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

minge

Majik 109 placement

Post by minge »

Are moving My Majik 109 speakers back and forward from the bakwall now is it 19cm from bakwall think is sounds OK but what is your experience of it?

Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I've got no recommendations, Mike. It simply varies from room to room.

Usually the last millimeters are the most important - and also the easiest ones to relate to. It just snaps into place and becomes so much better. When you're far from the optimal position, it's much harder to tell better from worse.
minge

Post by minge »

lejonklou wrote:I've got no recommendations, Mike. It simply varies from room to room.

Usually the last millimeters are the most important - and also the easiest ones to relate to. It just snaps into place and becomes so much better. When you're far from the optimal position, it's much harder to tell better from worse.
Read the manual from Linn they recommend approx 23cm?

Mike
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

minge wrote:Read the manual from Linn they recommend approx 23cm?
All the manuals have this silly stuff now, including diagrams with the range of tow in and minimum wall distances. I can't imagine anything like that came with a pair of Kan's back in the old days when the Tune Method ruled. It's just there to keep people happy that expect to be told exactly where to put them. Perhaps the Marketing team insist on it.

If you invest the time and energy then I'm confident you'll be rewarded Mike. At least they are not heavy floorstanders.

http://www.lejonklou.com/?page=37
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

In my room the 109's perform best 7,8cm from back wall. I had a hard time finding the optimal placement and had mine around 19cm at first. It was when I got a proper installation by my dealer he found that they should be much closer to back wall than I had been experimenting with. I have a door opening between the speakers, maybe that's an explanation why they suit fine close to wall? It's perfect for me as I have space restriction.
the players of instruments shall be there..
minge

Post by minge »

Efraim roots wrote:In my room the 109's perform best 7,8cm from back wall. I had a hard time finding the optimal placement and had mine around 19cm at first. It was when I got a proper installation by my dealer he found that they should be much closer to back wall than I had been experimenting with. I have a door opening between the speakers, maybe that's an explanation why they suit fine close to wall? It's perfect for me as I have space restriction.
And what about the hight of the stands for the Majik 109 som say the Supertweeter chould be playing over ear hight?

Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

minge wrote:And what about the hight of the stands for the Majik 109 som say the Supertweeter chould be playing over ear hight?
The standard floor stands have just the right height. The height of the bass unit above the floor is a more critical parameter than the height of the supertweeter, in my opinion.
minge

Post by minge »

lejonklou wrote:
minge wrote:And what about the hight of the stands for the Majik 109 som say the Supertweeter chould be playing over ear hight?
The standard floor stands have just the right height. The height of the bass unit above the floor is a more critical parameter than the height of the supertweeter, in my opinion.
OK but is filler for the stands a must for best sound?

Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I tried many materials (various types of sand, lead shots, textiles) and experimented with different amounts of filling (from full to less than 1/10th) with the Katan floor stands. Those stands are very similar to the 109 stands in construction.

They always sounded best empty.
minge

Post by minge »

lejonklou wrote:I tried many materials (various types of sand, lead shots, textiles) and experimented with different amounts of filling (from full to less than 1/10th) with the Katan floor stands. Those stands are very similar to the 109 stands in construction.

They always sounded best empty.
What about tri-wiring bi-wiring or just singel-wiring from a A2200 have anybody tested with resault?
Mke
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

In my opinion, single wiring the 109's is way superior to bi- or triwiring.

The Treble + and - inputs should be used.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:In my opinion, single wiring the 109's is way superior to bi- or triwiring.

I haven't been able to try bi- or triwiring here at the store but did try the different ways of connecting to the terminals and agree that Treble + and - inputs are the most musical. I have also found the stands unfilled do the best job although I never did the level of experimentation Fredrik did on this.
minge

Post by minge »

ThomasOK wrote:
lejonklou wrote:In my opinion, single wiring the 109's is way superior to bi- or triwiring.

I haven't been able to try bi- or triwiring here at the store but did try the different ways of connecting to the terminals and agree that Treble + and - inputs are the most musical. I have also found the stands unfilled do the best job although I never did the level of experimentation Fredrik did on this.
Is it hard to get à Subwoofer tex Akurate 226 to work with the Majik 109 speakers and is it big difference with and without?
Mike
minge

Post by minge »

minge wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:

Is it hard to get à Subwoofer tex Akurate 226 to work with the Majik 109 speakers and is it big difference with and without?
Mike
Thinking of getting Akurate 4200 before the time of getting two channels for free the jump from Majik 2100 to Akurate 2200 is pretty big i think but now when i getting the two extra channels is it any idea to biamp my Majik 109 or just use 2 channels?

Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I think single amping and single wiring passive 109's sounds best.

But with a 4200, you only need one 2200 and a set of aktiv cards to go aktiv. Nice upgrade, although a bit expensive, of course.
minge

Post by minge »

lejonklou wrote:I think single amping and single wiring passive 109's sounds best.

But with a 4200, you only need one 2200 and a set of aktiv cards to go aktiv. Nice upgrade, although a bit expensive, of course.
Got to go listening to Isobarik with aktive bas and Akurate 4200 anybody heard them with Akurate 4200?

Mike
Clark

Post by Clark »

My Majik 109s have negative and positive inputs for bass, tweeter and super tweeter.

lejonklou, is it the tweeter inputs that you refer to?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Clark wrote:

My Majik 109s have negative and positive inputs for bass, tweeter and super tweeter.

Yes!

Connect your power amp to Tweeter+ and Tweeter-.
Two metal links below the round golden "nuts" should connect
Bass+, Treble+, Super Tweeter+, and
Bass-, Treble-, Super Tweeter-
Clark

Post by Clark »

Quite surprisingly, I found my favorite adjustment by connecting to the Super Tweeter+ and Super Tweeter- from the DS-I with K200.

Edit: The reproduction feels substantially more balanced over the normal configuration in my opinion. My assessment is that this is due to the effect of subdued mid-treble. Subsequently, I feel that the bass tunes are easier to follow and a degree of harshness is eliminated from the overall music reproduction by this particlar wiring setting. The latter was a big relief.

Edit: Needless to say, my evaluation with the ST+ and ST- was not fully based on tune dem. The sound balance was a major determining factor for me here.

Edit: I also tried T+ and T- as suggested by lejonklou, but found the bass tunes lacking with my DS-I and felt that the treble and mids became too much highlighted for my taste. Again, I want to point out that my evaluation was not entirely based on tune dem.

Edit: In my original post I posed a question whether passing the signal directly to the super tweeter inputs woud have been resulted in better control of the upper frequencies, leaving less room for impurities, thus attenuating some harshness that I have been perceiving in my current setup with some recordings. After having read about Charlie's experiment regarding super tweeter elements, I have come to believe that the harshness didn't probably stem from the STs, at least not alone.

Edit: My setup at the time of testing the wiring configurations consisted of Majik DS-I, K200 and Majik 109s.
Last edited by Clark on 2014-06-09 12:52, edited 11 times in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I did re-check my 140s out of interest. Still find tweeter more musical than super-tweeter, but glad you are happy with the benefits found Clark.

Always amazes me that the super-tweeter has any impact. I removed the link bar on my 140s once, and just connected the ST. It hardly makes any sound at all.
Clark

Post by Clark »

I do wonder how signal distribution works via the terminal link strips in passive mode into the element channels in different wiring configurations.

I'm all ears.

Edit: I removed and copied some text from here and pasted it to my above posting to improve readability.
Last edited by Clark on 2014-06-09 12:51, edited 2 times in total.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Interesting... this would also be relevant for the Majik 112 centre, I assume?
Naturally, I followed the product manual, which suggests:
Bass + and -
Tweeter -
Super Tweeter +
- when bi-wiring.

I'd certainly like to try this out. Currently, I'm feeding the centre via one channel from a LK-100.

rgds,

lejonklou wrote:
Clark wrote:

Yes!

Connect your power amp to Tweeter+ and Tweeter-.
Two metal links below the round golden "nuts" should connect
Bass+, Treble+, Super Tweeter+, and
Bass-, Treble-, Super Tweeter-
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

moog_man wrote:Naturally, I followed the product manual, which suggests:
Bass + and -
Tweeter -
Super Tweeter +
- when bi-wiring.
Please do try and report!

Single wire to Treble + and -. Try another input pair if you like, but I find Treble most musical. K200 in the length 2.48 m is the next revelation.
Clark

Post by Clark »

I edited my two previous posts quite heavily to clarify a couple of points in concern to my feelings about the ST+ and ST- wiring and to avoid possible confusion.

Should we open a dedicated thread for discussion and assesment on various wiring and amping configurations? What do you think?
Winston67

Re:

Post by Winston67 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2011-08-04 16:15

Reviving this thread as I am interested in single wiring my 109s. I note that the owner's manual indicates that for single wiring, the BASS + and Supertweeter - terminals should be used. That doesn't seem consistent with the discussion here. Interested in people's views on this. Thanks.