We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re:

Post by Ozzzy189 »

minge wrote: 2011-09-05 05:58
lejonklou wrote:I think single amping and single wiring passive 109's sounds best.

But with a 4200, you only need one 2200 and a set of aktiv cards to go aktiv. Nice upgrade, although a bit expensive, of course.
Got to go listening to Isobarik with aktive bas and Akurate 4200 anybody heard them with Akurate 4200?

Mike
For some reason it's quoted the wrong bit but I wanted to pass on my thoughts in relation to the akurate amps.
I have. And ninkas. In both instances a tundra wiped the floor with the akurate amps. It was no contest. 1.1 on the ninkas and 1.2 version of the tundra on the 109.
For what you could buy a tundra stereo 2.5 for new now I'd recommend single wire passive with that. Or look for one second hand and you could sell it for pretty much what you paid for it if for some reason you didn't like it.

I just wanted to put this out there in case you hadn't demoed a tundra in your home.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Re:

Post by lejonklou »

Winston67 wrote: 2018-11-26 19:51
ThomasOK wrote: 2011-08-04 16:15
lejonklou wrote:In my opinion, single wiring the 109's is way superior to bi- or triwiring.

The Treble + and - inputs should be used.
I haven't been able to try bi- or triwiring here at the store but did try the different ways of connecting to the terminals and agree that Treble + and - inputs are the most musical. I have also found the stands unfilled do the best job although I never did the level of experimentation Fredrik did on this.
Reviving this thread as I am interested in single wiring my 109s. I note that the owner's manual indicates that for single wiring, the BASS + and Supertweeter - terminals should be used. That doesn't seem consistent with the discussion here. Interested in people's views on this. Thanks.
The manual's recommendation is a product of "engineering thinking". When you connect as they recommend, all three units will have an equal amount of metal from the connecting links on the back. Sounds like a good idea.

When you try it in practice and listen for the most musical result, however, the best way turns out to be the tweeter inputs. The reason for this result is that the ranges are not equal in their impact on sound quality. The tweeter is more important than the other two for the overall musical performance.

The same thing applies to aktiv systems, when you have two channels that perform better than the others. Those two should usually be driving the tweeter for maximum musical performance.
Winston67

Re: Majik 109 placement

Post by Winston67 »

Thanks. I tried it, and you are right - I can't quite describe it, but it sounds better.

Unrelated question: I am using a Naim Uniti Nova integrated amp/streamer with the 109s, and am thinking of hooking up my old Afekt subwoofer to give me a bit more low end. The obvious way to do this is to connect the analogue line inputs on the Afekt to the analogue outs of the Naim unit. In looking at the Linn manual, however, it suggests that with a pre-amp/power amp configuration and smaller speakers, you could connect the filtered outputs on the Afekt to the power amp and the line inputs on the Afekt to the outputs of the pre-amp. The stated purpose of this is to stop low bass notes from being sent to the main speakers.

Would this work with an integrated amp such as mine? In other words, could I connect the filtered outputs of the Afekt to the analogue inputs of the Naim (in addition to connecting the line inputs of the Afekt to the analogue premp outs of the Naim)?

Thanks again. Your site is a fabulous source of information.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Majik 109 placement

Post by lejonklou »

In my opinion, it's rarely beneficial to feed the front speakers with a filtered signal. This is due to the filtering lowering the quality of the signal.

I say try adding the sub. But please start by making a thorough installation of the sub in the room, by listening to the sub only and first tuning the position and then the sub filter options.