internal jumpers or ICs?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

internal jumpers or ICs?

Post by bonzo »

referring to, in this case, chakra multi channel amps, and activ cards. the instructions show 2 ways to connect the audio signal from one channe to the next....using the good ole interconnect (audio out/audio in..think we all know this one) and internal jumper cables. which method produces better tune? which does linn reccomend (hopefully same answer as first ?) and lastly...some chakras allow this internal connection, some dont...i actually had a 6100 that allowed internal jumper connection on the one side of the amp, but not the other (there simply wasnt any place to plug the jumpers into) linn has recognized this as a defect and is correcting at no charge from what ive heard. Finally...ive read some use "custom" 20-25mm length linn silver ICs to still take advantage of that product, but to "clean things up" behind the amp...any warnings here going this short? i actually like the idea a lot and am thinking of doing so myself. thanks to all!! btw, new 4200s and lingo2 arrive this thursday...im sure after that ill be away from here for some time.....not
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

This is a good and important question, bonzo. At the moment I do not have a definitive answer regarding which gives the ultimate performance; silver interconnects or internal cables.

I have, however, compared them briefly a few times. My first impression was that the internal cables were better than black ic's. Another time a quick change from silver ic's to internal cables gave the impression of a sharper and quite different sound, but not necessarily worse. The internal links were lots cheaper (in fact free as they came with the amp) and so much neater installation-wise that there was really no incentive for the customer to go back and try the silvers again. :wink:

If the internal cables prove to be better, it is mainly due to the connectors they use. I have evaluated these cables and connectors quite thoroughly in my own electronics and the connectors are able to sound really great if crimped/soldered correctly.

Regarding custom length IC's it is almost totally dependent on the soldering job and almost nothing on the length of the cable. To make good sounding soldering jobs - that stay good even after 3-4 months - is no easy task and I have so far never heard Linn silvers sounding as good as the stock ones. Over the years, several people have claimed they make them better, but when I have tried them they have been disappointing.

I make custom Linn blacks and think that mine are a bit better than Linn's, but when people ask for custom silver IC's I always recommend the original ones from Linn. Only if someone actually needs a longer run than the stock 1.2 m I will make it.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Thanks Frederik,
i actually asked Linn a week ago, and got my reply this am...their stance is that internal is better, simply due to shorter signal path. bad news is i was supposed to get all my new gear today...ups screwed it up and its still in the UK, even though it was supposed to be delivered to me today...bummer.
so have you got your Keel yet Frederik?
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Shorter signal path is a nonsense answer in this case.

In general I recommend asking qualified Linn retailers about things like these. Linn's helpline might be good for simple advice, but any question that is even slightly advanced should not be directed there.

As an example, more than a year(!) after the introduction of the internal links in unbalanced Chakra amps, Linn's helpline kept answering customers that this feature did not exist.

Keel: Any day now. Hope to be able to keep this one for myself! :)
linnmint

Post by linnmint »

lejonklou wrote:This is a good and important question, bonzo. At the moment I do not have a definitive answer regarding which gives the ultimate performance; silver interconnects or internal cables.

I have, however, compared them briefly a few times. My first impression was that the internal cables were better than black ic's. Another time a quick change from silver ic's to internal cables gave the impression of a sharper and quite different sound, but not necessarily worse. The internal links were lots cheaper (in fact free as they came with the amp) and so much neater installation-wise that there was really no incentive for the customer to go back and try the silvers again. :wink:

If the internal cables prove to be better, it is mainly due to the connectors they use. I have evaluated these cables and connectors quite thoroughly in my own electronics and the connectors are able to sound really great if crimped/soldered correctly.

Regarding custom length IC's it is almost totally dependent on the soldering job and almost nothing on the length of the cable. To make good sounding soldering jobs - that stay good even after 3-4 months - is no easy task and I have so far never heard Linn silvers sounding as good as the stock ones. Over the years, several people have claimed they make them better, but when I have tried them they have been disappointing.

I make custom Linn blacks and think that mine are a bit better than Linn's, but when people ask for custom silver IC's I always recommend the original ones from Linn. Only if someone actually needs a longer run than the stock 1.2 m I will make it.
Glad I found this thread, was wondering how best to connect up my 6100 actively driving Espeks, to my 5103. 3 x silvers or just one silver and use the internal links.

Did you manage to compare silvers to internal links?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi linnmint and welcome to the forum!

No, I haven't made any further evaluations of the different connection methods. But since I now drive aktiv Katans with a 4200 using internal connections, I can rather easily check this against a pair of silver interconnects.

I will put it on my list and try this next time I do something to the system. Quite an interesting comparison, as the internal links are used by practically everyone with a Chakra amp these days.
linnmint

Post by linnmint »

Another option ( after reading the archives of Topica), is whether to use 1 pair of silvers from pre-amp to 6100, and then daisy chain across the back of the 6100?
paolo

Post by paolo »

I've done just one time this comparison, going from internal links to daisy chained Silver ICs with active 242/Chakra4200 and the second option was a fair bit more tuneful.

It has to be considered the fact that in that occasion internal links' direction had not been optimized and that the they had been in place for a long time so the connection was't probably superclean. Nevertheless the gap was big enough to make me think Silver ICs were the clear winners.
Chapelier

Post by Chapelier »

paolo wrote:I've done just one time this comparison, going from internal links to daisy chained Silver ICs with active 242/Chakra4200 and the second option was a fair bit more tuneful.

It has to be considered the fact that in that occasion internal links' direction had not been optimized and that the they had been in place for a long time so the connection was't probably superclean. Nevertheless the gap was big enough to make me think Silver ICs were the clear winners.
I've done the test recently. Even though the difference might not be gigantic, I find the Silver ICs option sweeter to the ears. I wouldn't say it changes much in tunedem, but the voices (for example) sound way more natural. I don't know if it's important to specify the order in which my amps are linked (bass -> mid -> treble)?