Majik 140s internal link to cut base by 2db

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Majik 140 2db bass cut

Post by Charlie1 »

ogni wrote:Do you have the correct Torque settings for the 140´s, as I may consider at a later stage to get a fine torque driver for a better result.
I can't remember. I think I got a starting off point from this forum. Perhaps Fredrik had mentioned one for 109s - I'm guessing. But bear in mind that there is no point just using someone else's figures and leaving it there. The real benefit is in the fine tuning. Differences in torque drivers and other factors likely mean your optimal setting is slightly different. Where it can help is in saving time to begin with.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Majik 140 2db bass cut

Post by Charlie1 »

ogni wrote:Charlie1,

BTW: Do you have the correct Torque settings for the 140´s, as I may consider at a later stage to get a fine torque driver for a better result.

Cheers

ogni
I checked the mid bass again last night. I settled on 1Nm -1 notch. But torque drivers vary and I think mine might be a notch out compared to Tom and Fredrik's.

Interestingly, I didn't experience the same thing I have with torquing the LP12. In other words, as I got closer to the optimum, the benefit didn't seem to spike upwards. For example, I noticed more of an improvement between 1.1nm and 1.2nm than I noticed between 1nm + 1notch and 1nm + 2notches. I always felt the opposite when torquing LP12 fixings. That was how it seemed last night, anyway.
ogni

Post by ogni »

Charlie1,

Many thanks for sharing your experience here, in the meantime I contacted Linn again and they said the following:

The Majik 140 Loudspeakers drive units do not have a torque setting. We use an electric driver set to a certain setting. I would suggest tightening the drive units hand tight and then give the screw another quarter turn, but do not over tighten the screws.

But Ill follow your recommendations and use the torque driver with the settings you mentioned.

Cheers

ogni
ogni

Post by ogni »

Just tightened all screws on both the M140's driver to a torque setting of 1,2Nm and it sounds very nice overall...
Last edited by ogni on 2013-07-22 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
ogni

Post by ogni »

I also tightened all the screws inside the MDS-I with a torque setting of 0,3Nm on the audio board (one would have to remove the Dynamik compartment completely) and 0,4Nm on the Dynamik board, it really makes a difference, just playing music...
Rudi64

Post by Rudi64 »

Hi all,

Still considering doing this mod...but what's the difference between the modification cut 2db and putting the foam bungs in?
I tried the foam bungs but find this sound less musically and the mids clearly does not benefit of that...sort of less definition...
The bass in the room seems to be increased after the purchase of a AK/0...but,i guess that's normal...

Greetings,
Rudi
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Rudi64 wrote:what's the difference between the modification cut 2db and putting the foam bungs in?
These are two different things. I never liked the foam bungs either, regardless of the conditions. The 2 dB cut makes more sense.
ogni

Post by ogni »

Hi Rudi,

As Fredrik stated these are indeed two different things, the bungs are just applicable where space does not allow any appropriate placement, whereas the 2db cut would just make the overall musical picture more sophisticated if this would give a good description. There are other things one could do to improve sound quality, first I always would say is to put a network switch in between network-in and distribution http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/D ... End_System (I'm using a D-Link DGS-105 about 20€) which is a very noticeable and cheap improvement. Secondly using Linn Silvers is pretty much a good value for money, thirdly using "Linn Konfig" under ADVANCED and click the Device Recovery, it always has improved sound quality especially if the DS-Player was bought from new, but you would have to set back all your configurations again. Having made the 2db cut as earlier described will give you a more refined sound, more serious and less uncontrolled bass if you like... but still involving. BTW. I just got the new Linn main power cords (30€) and they do sound just great...a NAIM music line "netzleiste" would be great too http://www.amazon.de/s/?ie=UTF8&keyword ... qntfrq9i_b. The upgrade stands and the tightened mid/bass drivers would also give you a very nice improvement, I tightened my drivers about 1,3Nm at mids and 1,5Nm at bass. And don't forget to place Skeets underneath your speakers. So I think lots of things to do...;-)
Last edited by ogni on 2013-09-02 17:16, edited 4 times in total.
Rudi64

Re: Majik 140s internal link to cut base by 2db

Post by Rudi64 »

ogni wrote:Hi Rudi,

As Fredrik stated these are indeed two different things, the bungs are just applicable where space does not allow any appropriate placement, whereas the 2db cut would just make the overall musical picture more sophisticated if this would give a good description. There are other things one could do to improve sound quality, first I always would say is to put a network switch in between network-in and distribution http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/D ... End_System (I'm using a D-Link DGS-105 about 20€) which is a very noticeable and cheap improvement. Secondly using Linn Silvers is pretty much a good value for money, thirdly using "Linn Konfig" under ADVANCED and click the Device Recovery, it always has improved sound quality especially if the DS-Player was bought from new, but you would have to set back all your configurations again. Having made the 2db cut as earlier described will give you a more refined sound, more serious and less uncontrolled bass if you like... but still involving. BTW. I just got the new Linn main power cords (30€) and they do sound just great...a NAIM music line "netzleiste" would be great too http://www.amazon.de/s/?ie=UTF8&keyword ... qntfrq9i_b. The upgrade stands and the tightened mid/bass drivers would also give you a very nice improvement, I tightened my drivers pretty hard about hand tight (apx 2,5Nm). And don't forget to place Skeets underneath your speakers. So I think lots of things to do...;-)
Hi..
Thanks for the detailed summary ..

Network switch (Netgear)..check...done..
Linn silvers...check...done..
Linn power cord...check..done..
Upgraded stands...check...done..(great)
Linn Skeets...check..done and do not agree..Soundcare spikes are much better..speaking in my case and on a tiled floor..

But what about the tightening the drivers...How can you remove the metal grilles?
At about 2-3 weeks i have my Linn dealer on a visit at home and think i gonna let him do the cut...because they are 6 months old and i don't wanna void the warranty...

Greetings,
Rudi
ogni

2db

Post by ogni »

Hi Rudi,

Very easy to do without any damage on the speakers veneer, using a plastic card like a credit card preferably an old one you are not using any more...
Go with one edge of the card between the cabinet and the rubber surrounding of the metal grills on the upper side and move a little around and it will just pop out ... when placing the grills back into the cabinet ensure that you insert them with the notch on the rubber ring on top.
When loosen the drivers always put the card underneath as a distance holder and things are in place.
Rudi64

Post by Rudi64 »

Hi,

Today my linn dealer came to visit at my home and together did some seriously listening to the M140 and after some tracks decided
to perform the 2db cut...and no way to regret this one...mids and hights clearly benefits from this mod..Bass still there,but no longer overwhelming..but very tight and more in balance ..
Nice one...