We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

New IsobariK speaker?

Post by Music Lover »

Please read the thread on Linnforum.

Anyone that have thoughts or information?
What in the thread is true, or likely true?
Both Majik and Klimax/Komri series are mentioned...

(great to have Majik price and Komri performance :mrgreen: )
It's all about musical understanding!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New IsobariK speaker?

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Music Lover wrote:Please read the thread on Linnforum.

I did read that same thread on the Linn fourms. Approximately one year ago, I was told that Linn looked into the possibility of making the Isobarik speaker again. However, the labor cost was estimated to be much higher now, than when the Isobariks were initially introduced.

Since then, the same type of statements have been made throughout various audio circles. In my opinion, it would be nice to see the Isobarik speaker return to the Linn product line - even if it's just a special appearance for a short period of time.

That said, I hope the price would be profitable for Linn and fair for customers. In addition, I would like to see a high quality product which could carry on the tradition of such a unique speaker design 8) .
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You can definitely rule out "the" Isobarik speaker, Tony. What's likely to surface are completely new designs, with only the Isobarik bass loading principle in common with the original.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:You can definitely rule out "the" Isobarik speaker, Tony. What's likely to surface are completely new designs, with only the Isobarik bass loading principle in common with the original.
That is interesting Lejonklou, do you think the price would be fair to customers, or will they be pushing towards the upper price range like the Klimax series of speakers :?:
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have no idea... But I hope it will be good.

I think that the quality of the lowest bass has been a weak link in many of Linn's later designs. The upper end of the frequency range has improved enormously since the days of the original Isobarik, while the low bass of a properly tuned aktiv Isobarik can still be considered world class.

If they make a floorstander that performs as well as a pair of 109's, with the addition of exceptionally good low bass, I think it will be a big success. I'd be interested myself, as I think the 109's are great. But if the upper part of it will look like a Majik 140's, with a pod in silver only, I'm out.
Last edited by lejonklou on 2011-03-30 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have to agree with Fredrik that it is highly unlikely that Linn would reproduce the original Isobarik - they aren't a company who tends to look backward (even if many rock groups do :) ). Furthermore the midrange and bass drivers used in the original Isobarik haven't been in production for quite some time. Should they decide to bring the Isobarik loading system back it is more likely it will be under some kind of 2K/3K array and with at least a bit more modern styling! :D

However, Linn knows that they have a hole in their speaker line between the $3000US Majik 140 and the $10,570 Akurate 242. The rumors of a "Majik 150" would certainly seem to fall in line with that. More than that I can't really say right now. :wink:

There have also been rumors floating around for a while about a Komri replacement. I would expect that Linn have to being working on something like this as it is a little hard to swallow that the best speaker they currently make is not as good as the best they used to make. However, Linn don't tend to rush their reference products as can be seen by the space between the CD12 and the Klimax DS. It has to be exceptional before it can be released. Their current head of speaker design seems to know what he wants and the improvements to the Akurate 242 as well as the Majik series show some real skill. He has also mentioned having experimented with Isobarik loading, even used in conjunction with servo control, so we'll just have to wait and see what he and his team come up with.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks to both of you for the interesting information and logical opinions. Based on the current Linn product line, they don't look back. Although there are former Linn products which still perform very well, and certainly compete with many current audio components.

It will be interesting to see what type of Isobarik design Linn comes up with this time... :wink:
Tony Tune-age
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New IsobariK speaker?

Post by anthony »

Music Lover wrote:Please read the thread on Linnforum.

It is not a Klimax level speaker!
rock&roll

Post by rock&roll »

The last Linn product that used woofers in Isobarik configuration was Melodik Aktiv Bass reinforcement loudspeaker.
R&R
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

If I remember correctly Phil had a makeshift iso thingy in seperate enclosures linked up and it sounded pretty good apparently ,I think it's going to happen
I know that tune
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Lego wrote: makeshift iso
I guess iso = isobariK but what is makeshift ?
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Music Lover wrote:
temporary or improvised. In fact, to quote an online dictionary "A temporary or expedient substitute for something else. adjective. Suitable as a temporary or expedient substitute: eg. "used a rock as a makeshift hammer. "
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

rowlandhills wrote:
Music Lover wrote:
temporary or improvised. In fact, to quote an online dictionary "A temporary or expedient substitute for something else. adjective. Suitable as a temporary or expedient substitute: eg. "used a rock as a makeshift hammer. "
That is a correct definition, and I have certainly implemented "makeshift" procedures periodically... :) .
Tony Tune-age
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Thanks for the language lesson guys, any more info regarding M150?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Music Lover wrote:Thanks for the language lesson guys, any more info regarding M150?
Due to all the rumors regarding a new Isobarik speaker design, I was considering the possibility of sending an e-mail message to Linn. Although I'm not sure if there is a general e-mail address for asking questions, or if they would reveal much information.
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

[email protected]

Two hopes Tony - 'Bob' and 'No' :O)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:
No guessing need be involved on "Iso". I honestly don't know when or where the term "Briks" came about but we always referred to the DMS/PMS as "Isos" back when I started selling them (and bought my first pair) in 1980. This is what everyone I was aware of called them at the time. I was rather surprised in the late 90s when I started hearing them referred to as "Briks".
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Bricks?
They look like a huge brick that stands up on the short side.

Not sure that is the correct interpretation but I always have that image in my brain
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Music Lover wrote:Bricks?

Not sure that is the correct interpretation but I always have that image in my brain
Hmmm, that is as good of a guess as any other guess ! ! !
Tony Tune-age
Lingo

Post by Lingo »

I sent an email to Linn last year asking if they would make a Keilidh II speaker using the Keilidh bass unit and a BMR mid/treble unit like the one used in the Naim Ovators I wonder if the new Isobarik will be a similar compact floorstanding loudspeaker?
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Tony Tune-age wrote:

Iso Barik..........Barik........Brick
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

anthony wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:

Iso Barik..........Barik........Brick
I was kind of hoping it wasn't really necessary to point that out. ;-)
Chris Morton

Post by Chris Morton »

I may be in an exception category (but I know I'm not alone) in hoping that Linn throws the whole 3/4k array thing into the garbage can and start again with a new mid-treble concept--maybe you could get almost as good a sound with just a 3 way speaker design? Did anyone think of this? :-)

For me, active operation is much more important than optimizing dispersion patterns, NASA-style, using Finite Element Analysis. My ears tell me it doesn't matter (that much). Maybe my ears are shot :-)

The cost of going active with Linn's current speaker line-up just makes this path impractical IMHO. I really like what Naim is trying to do with the Ovator and Balanced Mode Radiator; the only problem is they supposedly don't sound as good as they look.

Maybe Naim (and Linn?) will find a way to make a BMR work and then the nice thing is you only need two power amps to go active (a third--to drive the second base unit separately--is optional).

This would lead more people down the active path to better sound.

Chris.
LP12 SE/Radikal/Urika,KK, Aktiv Isobariks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm at least somewhat with you on this. Needing to have five channels of amplification for a speaker makes the step to Aktiv much less affordable - especially if you want to use at least Akurate level amplification. In the case of the 242 I've always wondered how much you really gain having it be a 4.5 way design? Is there really much to be gained crossing over one woofer at 250Hz and the other at 450Hz?

Seeing as Linn went away from the Array for the new Sekrit IW-10 in wall speaker and instead opted for a new DXT tweeter I had also wondered if we might end up with a three way Isobarik. But from what I've heard the new Majik will have the 2K Array as in the other Majik speakers. Still it is likely only a four way speaker so no more expensive to Aktivate than the Majik 140.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Chris Morton wrote:I may be in an exception category (but I know I'm not alone) in hoping that Linn throws the whole 3/4k array thing into the garbage can and start again with a new mid-treble concept--maybe you could get almost as good a sound with just a 3 way speaker design? Did anyone think of this? :-)

For me, active operation is much more important than optimizing dispersion patterns, NASA-style, using Finite Element Analysis. My ears tell me it doesn't matter (that much). Maybe my ears are shot :-)

The cost of going active with Linn's current speaker line-up just makes this path impractical IMHO. I really like what Naim is trying to do with the Ovator and Balanced Mode Radiator; the only problem is they supposedly don't sound as good as they look.

Maybe Naim (and Linn?) will find a way to make a BMR work and then the nice thing is you only need two power amps to go active (a third--to drive the second base unit separately--is optional).

This would lead more people down the active path to better sound.

Chris.
Going aktiv has not necessarily become more expensive, a Majik 6100 turns in a better performance than a klout and cost less than 3 klout would have done.
Keltiks only worked at their best with 4 klouts. The only problem is the 242 which sounds better passive with solos anyway!