Dynamik in Radikal and Uphorik

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Dynamik in Radikal and Uphorik

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I saw a written statement on another forum, which indicated the Akurate version of the Radikal and Uphorik now come in the new revised Akurate case, and both have the Dynamik power supply. Also, it said the previous Akurate versions can be fitted with the Dynamik power supply.

Does anybody know if those statements are true :?:
Last edited by Tony Tune-age on 2011-03-04 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, true. Akurate Radikal is supposed to be quite a lot better.

Don't think the 'upgrade' is available yet though.

How am I going to wangle this one then...time to sell something perhaps (other than my body)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Yes, true. Akurate Radikal is supposed to be quite a lot better.

Don't think the 'upgrade' is available yet though.

How am I going to wangle this one then...time to sell something perhaps (other than my body)
Well, that is very interesting Charlie...thanks for the confirmation. I suppose the Dynamik power supply for my Radikal won't be too expensive, and I don't need the newly styled Akurate case. But my Radikal does sound nice currently, and there isn't any rush to get it upgraded.

Although installing the Dynamik power supply will probably make both the Urika and Radikal sound better 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Actulally, when I purchased my Akurate Radikal, I was told the power supply was very similar to the Dynamik. Which is how the Dynamik was discovered in the first place. Is that correct :?:
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm disappointed. They intentionally dumbed down the Radikal and now offer us an upgrade that could have been fitted in the first place. And the old Miniline power supplies from upgraded Radikals end up on a dump. Intentional waste and quite the opposite of my motto 'Honest HiFi'.

This is what I wrote in 2009:
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 44&start=9

For those who don't wish to read through it all, the scenario I feared was this: "the Miniline is inferior to the Dynamik, but Linn doesn't want to admit they can drastically improve the Radikal. Being a brand new product, people might demand to have their units upgraded for free. If this is the case, Linn will offer the Dynamik upgrade of Radikal later."

If your information in above posts are correct, it seems this is precisely what they've now done.
Last edited by lejonklou on 2011-03-05 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I always respect the effort to upgrade a component, and power supplies are certainly a major influence on audio components. But it's hard to know when to purchase a Linn component now days.

Perhaps I should start waiting even longer before purchasing a new Linn component :?:

Fortunately, my Sondek should be okay for awhile longer.
Tony Tune-age
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote:I'm disappointed. They intentionally dumbed down the Radikal and now offer us an upgrade that could have been fitted in the first place.
I find it hard to believe that Linn would intentionally dumb down the Radikal,unintentionally maybe.Give them the benefit of the doubt maybe it's more complicated with turntable power supplys,there was no brilliant in the Lingo.......thank god..
It's also always been known that the combination of Linns lighthouse customers and linn electronics will always produce tears.....sometimes honesty hurts
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote:...maybe it's more complicated with turntable power supplys,there was no brilliant in the Lingo
Driving the Radikal DC motor and Urika is not any more complicated than driving a preamp or DS player. Lingo powered a high voltage AC motor, therefore it was a different kettle of fish and Brilliant or Dynamik was never suitable.

The Miniline power supply was put into Majik CD, Majik Kontrol and Radikal. Practically everything else got a Dynamik.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Seems that both Radikal and Uphorik going to get Dynamik upgrades and going to be re-released in the new Akurate design series.
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

My first impulse was to agree with Fredrik and state that I was disappointed at the way Linn handled this as it does sound like they brought out products that could have been better and then used the opportunity to sell upgrades for relatively new equipment. But I decided I should give them the “benefit of the doubt” and research a bit further before making any comment like this. Therefore I have spent some time over the last couple of days digging up all the info I could find on the subject. This is what I have found:

The Radikal and Urika were released in March 2009 while the Dynamik was not released until July 2009 and August 2009 for the low power preamp version (the one closest to what would be needed for the Radikal). Now we know that Linn spent at least six years trying to develop a phono stage that could outperform the musical quality of two Lintos. They obviously spent a fair amount of time developing the Radikal motor and power supply as these are radically (no pun intended) different from anything Linn had made previously. They are also really, in my way of thinking, the first successful use of a DC motor and a servo control system in a turntable. They are a very imaginative and extremely effective upgrade and the work done to allow them to be integrated into the existing LP12 was not trivial. There is no question that Linn deserves praise for these excellent products.

It seems to me that, having done all this work Linn did not feel that it made sense to hold back the introduction of the Radikal and Urika for another 6 months and reengineer them around a new power supply. Also none of the Dynamik power supplies that came out then in the months following were a version of the PS in the Radikal. This means that an additional power supply may have had to be developed for the Radikal (although it is also possible that the preamp Dynamik would have worked just fine). It should also be noted that the Mini-line power supply used in the Radikal costs dealers $190 whereas the Slimline PS runs about $800 and the Dynamik PS runs $700 so incorporating the Dynamik would have raised the price of the Radikal and likely put the selling price well over $4000US, something Linn most likely also wanted to avoid.

Considering the above I don’t feel that Linn was irresponsible in introducing the Radikal/Urika four to five months before the Dynamik. The real problem I see is the fact that they didn’t immediately set about creating or offering a Dynamik for the Radikal and that they were not completely honest in answering the inevitable questions that the introduction of the Dynamik brought from Radikal purchasers. When the question of the Dynamik not being available for the Radikal inevitably came up on the forums a Linn engineer stated clearly “the Radikal doesn’t need a Dynamik”. While this is not, strictly speaking, a lie, it is also not the whole truth, as is obvious from the introduction of the Dynamik for the Radikal.

The reasoning behind this statement, also stated similarly elsewhere on the forum, was that the power supply in the Radikal was developed from another power supply prototype that ended up also resulting in the Dynamik. This made it sound like the power supply in the Radikal was in some ways basically equivalent to the Dynamik, again not really the whole truth. The actual story that I have been able to piece together from several Linn documents is this:

The Radikal uses the Mini-line PSU, a 4th generation, low power switch-mode PS also used in the Majik CD, Majik Kontrol and Akurate Tuner which is claimed to have lower noise than previous SMPS and to feature non-coherent switching which is also said to improve musical performance. These features are also part of the low power version of the 5th generation SMPS – the Dynamik. However, the Dynamik also features: improved filtering that reduces susceptibility to mains borne noise, improved filtering that reduces emissions from the power supply into other products through the AC line or interconnects and faster response of the PS control loops. Furthermore the low power Dynamik used in the preamps, disc spinners and DS units has a switching frequency increased by a factor of 2.5 which moves PS operating noise further away from the audio range. These features, which Linn list as being important contributors to the improved performance the Dynamik brings, are not listed as being present in the Mini-line PS used in the Radikal.

All this considered, it is obvious that the Dynamik is superior to the Mini-line, as the announcement of the Dynamik upgrade for the Radikal and Uphorik confirms. So the dissembling by Linn really doesn’t help their reputation for clear communication with their customers or with their dealers. (Note that, despite repeated questions, we were told as little as a month ago that the Radikal and Uphorik were NOT going to be put into the new Akurate style cases by the US distributor and ordered new units of both for demo based on this information, one of which we received only a couple weeks ago! Again, not exactly clear communication from Linn.)

This also raises other questions: Why did it take so long to develop the Dynamik upgrade for the Radikal and Uphorik? If the Mini-line is so much less expensive than the Slimline PS, why is the Dynamik version the same price as the regular Dyanmik? One would expect that the power supply engineers must have known that the Dynamik was superior to the Mini-line (despite what was stated publicly) and that developing a Radikal version should have been high on the priority list. Since it seems it should have been basically a stripped down version of the preamp Dynamik you would also think it shouldn’t have taken very long. So why is it that it has taken two years after the Radikal was introduced and almost two years after the Dynamik was introduced to bring out the Dynamik for Radikal?

Of course the good news is that the Dynamik will reportedly make a further substantial improvement in the performance of the LP12. Another possible bit of good news is that, since this Dynamik works in the Radikal it follows that it will also work in the Majik CD, Majik Kontrol and Akurate Tuner - although Linn have not announced that they will make it available for these units.

So while I am happy that the Dynamik for the Radikal is coming out I’m afraid I’m with Fredrik: I am disappointed with Linn for how this was handled. I am disappointed that they were not completely honest when the question of Dynamik in the Radikal first came up. I am disappointed that it has taken this long for it to come out. And I am disappointed that, due to the timing of it all and the prevarication noted above, intelligent customers will wonder whether Linn came out with products that were purposely less good than they could be so that Linn could sell these same customers an upgrade a year or two later. The reputation for bringing out products while already having an upgrade in the wings for it severely damaged the reputation of Audio Research a number of years ago. The same thing could happen to Linn if they aren’t careful. I really hope that the Dynamik in the Radikal is a new design – if it turns out to be the same board as in the Majik DS, UniDisk, etc. I’m afraid Linn’s reputation will take a nosedive. Meanwhile, I am looking forward to hearing the improvement the new upgrade has, even if I don’t relish trying to answer the customer concerns raised by all the above.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:
This also raises other questions: Why did it take so long to develop the Dynamik upgrade for the Radikal and Uphorik? If the Mini-line is so much less expensive than the Slimline PS, why is the Dynamik version the same price as the regular Dyanmik? One would expect that the power supply engineers must have known that the Dynamik was superior to the Mini-line (despite what was stated publicly) and that developing a Radikal version should have been high on the priority list. Since it seems it should have been basically a stripped down version of the preamp Dynamik you would also think it shouldn’t have taken very long. So why is it that it has taken two years after the Radikal was introduced and almost two years after the Dynamik was introduced to bring out the Dynamik for Radikal?
This is all about business decisions.
How many Radikal’s can be sold&upgraded vs how may power amps, preamps and sources?
As resources are limited, it makes perfectly sense that Linn focused on releasing Dynamik for the amps and sources as they did (high sales volume products), and after that redirecting resources to (low volume) projects.

Yes, likely Linn knew that Radikal and Uphorik could benefit from a Dynamik PSU but to delay these products?
Having spent years (according to you) in R/D and when the product is almost ready, at that stage modify the PSU delaying the release quite a bit is a very tough decision to make as other projects then have to be put on the backburner.
End result = many delayed projects.

And regardless of PSU used (existing Dynamik or a modified one) , it’s not as trivial as just put it in. You have to consider all other parts in the product life-cycle; manufacturing, documentation, education, support etc.

Having said this, I agree that the market communication wasn’t the best.
Would have been better to say on the Q regarding Dynamik for Radikal “this is the best we can do with the resources we have for the moment”

As it’s impossible for Linn to publish their product roadmap (going to kill sales) we going to get surprises. Sadly that incorporates the dealers. I know the car manufactures DO provide some sort of “what to expect” information but they have another market.

I think if Linn just stick to its strategy; offer upgrades with reduced price for buyers that recently bought the old version, they should be just fine.

But on such a recently released product as Radikal, there should be a reasonably low upgrade cost and generous time limits for the reduced upgrade price, why not 1 year?

If the upgrade cost is low - all this going to be a "non issue".
Lets hope Linn understand the implications and act accordingly :D
It's all about musical understanding!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Has there been any indication by Linn when the Radikal and Uphorik Dynamik Power Supply will be available :?:

In my opinion, any customer that purcahsed the Radikal and Uphorik prior to the Dynamik, should be given a reduced price for the upgrade.

Of course each customer would have to show proof they purchased the equipment new, and are in fact the original owner. This would eliminate giving a discount to individuals that purchased the Radikal or Uphorik used.

Just a thought... :roll:
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The new units in the latest Akurate style cases and the Dynamik power supply are supposed to start shipping this week. I imagine that the upgrades should be available quite soon as well. The public announcement is March 24th so all should be revealed at that time.

Photos will also be available at that time but as they will look just like the new style Akurate power amps with a solid metal piece replacing the screen in the front panel (the ventilation is not needed) so we already know what they look like.

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:The new units in the latest Akurate style cases and the Dynamik power supply are supposed to start shipping this week. I imagine that the upgrades should be available quite soon as well. The public announcement is March 24th so all should be revealed at that time.

Photos will also be available at that time but as they will look just like the new style Akurate power amps with a solid metal piece replacing the screen in the front panel (the ventilation is not needed) so we already know what they look like.

Is there a sonic need to replace the case, or is getting the Dynamik power supply all that I'll need for my Radikal :?:

If possible, I would like to get the Dynamik installed at the same time as my Urika 8)
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

If the information I received today is correct, things have cleared up a bit. And I am no longer disappointed, as I don't believe they intentionally dumbed down the Radikal. My sincere apologies for jumping to conclusions!

It appears that the new power supply for Radikal and Uphorik is a Miniline 2, an improvement of the original Miniline. It also appears that Klimax Radikals have been sold with the Miniline 2 since late last year, but now the time has come to put it into the (new) Akurate Radikal.

It appears that Linn decided to offer the Miniline 2 as an upgrade. And they call it Dynamik. It's not the low power Dynamik used in preamps, DS players etc, and not the high power Dynamik used in power amplifiers. It's a third design. Calling every new power supply Dynamik probably makes it easier to market, but for people who are trying to keep track of the development, it gets really confusing.

Why Linn prefer using the improved Miniline design in Radikal and Uphorik, instead of the power supply design they use in DS players etc, that is something I can't speculate in. I don't know the designs, I have just seen they are very different. And for driving analogue circuits, I bet one of them is better.

Tony: Considering the small difference in the past between the Klimax and Akurate Radikal, I think there is no real need to replace the case. The power supply is likely to have a much bigger impact.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:Tony: Considering the small difference in the past between the Klimax and Akurate Radikal, I think there is no real need to replace the case. The power supply is likely to have a much bigger impact.
Thanks for the updated information Lejonklou, I was hoping that would be the situation :!: Now, if only the Radical Dynamik is available when I have the Urika installed 8) . I'll be jamming in paradise :!:
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote: Tony: Considering the small difference in the past between the Klimax and Akurate Radikal, I think there is no real need to replace the case. The power supply is likely to have a much bigger impact.
I couldn't have said it better myself. :D I am currently awaiting a call back form my Linn rep for further information on pricing and availability of the new units and upgrades.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:
lejonklou wrote: Tony: Considering the small difference in the past between the Klimax and Akurate Radikal, I think there is no real need to replace the case. The power supply is likely to have a much bigger impact.
I couldn't have said it better myself. :D I am currently awaiting a call back form my Linn rep for further information on pricing and availability of the new units and upgrades.
Sweet... 8)
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A little additional information here. I have received some pricing for the US market and the standard Radikal has gone up from $3900 to $4250, the Uphorik has gone up from $2850 to $2990. It has also been reported that the Radikal has gone from £2600 to £2800 in the UK. Pricing on the Kilmax Radikal has not changed. These are fairly modest increases compared to the improved performance and cosmetics. The Dynamik upgrades are $700 - the same as most of the other Dynamiks. I have one of the new Akurate Dynamiks on order for personal use and we are talking to Linn about getting one for the store. I also have an upgrade on order for a certain customer :) but I don't have a ship date for either yet. I will report once I've had a chance to do the comparisons.

Also a little more on the discussion above about timing, etc. From what I have heard this is indeed, as Fredrik has said, a different Dynamik than what has been available for other units like preamps, DS units and disc spinners. As this new Dynamik was only designed for the Radikals and Uphorik it does not have to deal with digital circuitry as you would have in CD players, DACs (DS units) and AV preamps. Therefore it is quite possible, even probable that it can perform better in the Radikals and Uphorik than an adapted version of a regular Dynamik. Because of this I can certainly see that it has taken Linn some additional time to develop it. (It is also possible that they had to see significant sales of Radikals and Uphoriks before the R&D investment made sense.) As such I have no problem with the timing of the upgrades and the pricing certainly seems fair. It may also be that this new Dynamik is also not applicable to the Majik CD amd Majik Kontrol - I really don't know. Although Linn say they have no intent to offer this Dynamik for other products I certainly think they would make a number of customers happy if they could offer it for the Klimax crossovers and the Akurate Tuner, at the least.

I do think, however, that Linn could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by communicating more clearly. When asked early on about the Dynamik for Radikal they could have said: "The Radikals were designed and optimized with the power supply that is installed in them (which does use some of the technology improvements used in the Dynamik). As currently delivered they give an astounding performance increase over the Lingo/AC motor. The recently announced Dynamiks were designed to dramatically improve the performance of existing units such as the DS devices, disc players, preamps and power amps but the design of these units is not applicable to the Radikal. Linn has a policy of continual improvement of its products and is a leader in innovative power supply design. If our engineering people can find a way to improve the Radikals, through the power supply or otherwise, we will certainly make that available to our customers when possible."

So, while all of my questions have not been answered, I feel Linn has done a good and sensible thing in releasing these upgrades and the updated versions with only modest price increases. I don't think there was any conspiracy to "double-dip" their customers. It is good that the sales of Radikals and the Uphorik were enough to justify the additional R&D and I look forward to hearing the results. I just think Linn could make it a lot easier on themselves if they had clearer and more timely communication with their customers and dealers.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

All the information about the new Radikal Dynamik does make sense ThomasOK. There is no doubt about Linn always making new discoveries, especially in recent years :!:

And it sounds like there is a new Dynamik on order for my Radikal, which is very cool 8) . All I can say is, thanks-a-million ThomasOK...can't wait :!:
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Would be great to know what you think of the upgrade Tony :) I heard the bass keeps in time better with the rest, in a similar way to the Lingo3 over Lingo2. I can only presume the Lingo3 also has the new Miniline2 - anyone know for sure?

Quite odd this delay between the Klimax Radikal getting the new PSU and Akurate Radikal. Linn confirmed November last year, so why take 4 months to introduce it into the Akurate? Do you think they wanted to sell off already constructed ARs with the old chassis? Or maybe ensure recent Klilmax Radikal purchasers couldn't complain and ask for a discount off the new PSU?
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2011-03-17 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Would be great to know what you think of the upgrade Tony :) I heard the bass keeps in time better, but that's just one person's first impression.
Hello Charlie1, this will be a very interesting experience. Based on previous power supply upgrades, I have some idea of what to expect...but on the other hand - I won't really know until after the upgrade is complete :wink: .

I will give you an update once the Dynamik burns in and so forth. But at the same time, the Urika will be installed 8) . So, it will be more challenging to know how much improvement is coming from the Dynamik and how much improvement is coming from the Urika :roll: However, that isn't a bad problem to have... :!: :!: :!:
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

No, a nice problem. I was quite surprised how much better the Urika is to the Linto. Enjoy!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:No, a nice problem. I was quite surprised how much better the Urika is to the Linto. Enjoy!
That's what I've been told by many people Charlie1, and they also tell me the Urika sounds better than using two Linn Lintos' as well.

In any case, I am excited to get these upgrades :!: And my girlfriend is excited to hear my system after these items are installed too 8) .
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Quite odd this delay between the Klimax Radikal getting the new PSU and Akurate Radikal. Linn confirmed November last year, so why take 4 months to introduce it into the Akurate? Do you think they wanted to sell off already constructed ARs with the old chassis? Or maybe ensure recent Klilmax Radikal purchasers couldn't complain and ask for a discount off the new PSU?
There is no doubt - I wish information about the Dynamik was available when I purchased the Akurate Radikal. But ThomasOK did provide some possible reasons for the delay by Linn.

However, there could have been a desire by Linn to sell off the original Akurate Radikals first...it's hard to know for certain. Perhaps in time we'll have more information regarding this issue.

I will share my findings, once everything settles-in... :!:
Tony Tune-age