Keel an 80s LP12, or get a new LP12?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

KingClifton

Keel an 80s LP12, or get a new LP12?

Post by KingClifton »

I have a mid 1980s LP12 (S/N 51xxx) with Ittok, Klyde, pre-Cirkus bearing upgrade, Trampolin and Lingo. I bought it second-hand from my dealer, and it had a FSH. I replaced the Valhalla with a Lingo and the solid BB with the Trampolin after I bought it).

I got out of vinyl for a while, partly due to cost, partly due to getting a Unidisk 1.1, and mainly due to the dustbowl I live in playing havoc with my LPs. But a recent audition of a then-top-spec LP12 (new model, Linto, Lingo, Ekos, Arkiva) made me want to get back in the game.

So should I get a Keel or a new LP12? I dislike the fluted Afromosia plinth, and really want a Cherry or Black plinth. Eventually I will seek an Ekos (a few have been available as trade-ins through my dealer) and Arkiva, but right now the decision is Keel the current one, or get a new one.

Any thoughts? To me it seems a bit unbalanced to spend A$6K on a 20-year old TT...
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

If you are willing to spend that amount of money on you turntable I think you should consider the Cirkus bearing at the same time. The price of the bearing is low in comparison to the Keel and you dealer really should be able to give you a good price considering you buy the Keel at the same time.

Regards
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Definitely get a new LP12! According to Linn they will become available with Keel as standard (at the moment you have to buy a Cirkus LP12 and the Keel separately).

I have upgraded many old LP12's (80's and 90's) and they never get quite as good as a new one. Replaced my 12 year old one last year for that particular reason. I moved the Lingo, arm and cartridge onto a brand new mechanics with maple plinth and it was no small difference.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I too would recommend getting a new LP12 and then adding a Keel ASAP. You can bring an 80s LP12 close to the performance of a new one but to bring it all the way there requires replacing almost everything. To bring yours truly up to date you would need a Cirkus kit (most important) which runs about $750US. The new plinth would run you about $415US and you would want to replace the top plate to get the one with the stud by the motor for another $275. Then there would be the labor involved to completely dissasemble and rebuild the turntable and you would likely need some other small parts such as suspension bolts, motor mounting hardware, etc. All in all a major undertaking.

If you buy a new one you will have all the latest updates including the latest version of the motor which is slightly better than the older ones and costs $170. You will also get a shiny new platter and a shiny new dust cover to take off while you play records. You can transfer over your Lingo and Trampolin (or get the new one as an upgrade ($250US) and your arm and cartridge so all you would really be replacing it the actual LP12 itself. Depending on what your dealer would give you for a trade in you might end up pretty close to what it would cost you to do all the upgrades. Add the Keel and you would be smoking the vast majority of turntables out there. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
KingClifton

Post by KingClifton »

Thanks guys. My dealer has (rightly) suggested Keeling my current LP12, as more and more opinions now state that the Keel is the biggest source of improvement. And then when I upgrade to a new LP12, hopefully a subchassis-less version is available.

But personally I'd really like to see a new LP12 - in black, or maybe cherry. The fluted afromosia plinth doesn't do it for me anymore.

I'll have a chance to get a used Ekos, and possibly the LP12 it's attached to, late this year or sometime next year. And then I'll Keel it after that.