cartridge loading (for LINN ARKIV B)

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

yours in music

cartridge loading (for LINN ARKIV B)

Post by yours in music »

The Arkiv B specs sheet says recommended load is higher than 50 ohms. This gives however a lot of choices possible between 50 ohms and the standard 47Kohms.
In the stereophile review of the Arkiv B, I read “At 7.4gm, the Arkiv B is not a particularly heavy cartridge, and its stiff compliance will suit high- as well as medium-mass tonearms. (Linn's own medium-mass Ekos is probably the best match.) Output level is close to average for a low-output MC, with a recommended 100 ohms loading, so electrical compatibility with MC phono stages is virtually guaranteed” (http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartrid ... index.html).
The Linn Helpline says the nominal impedance is 470 ohms. What meand nominal?
I am lost, has any of you experienced with different values of loading for this cartridge?
What to expect from different values of loading music wise?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The standard resistive load for MM carts is 47kohms. For MC carts, there's less of a standard, but it's usually a few hundred ohms.

Different phono preamps use different resistive and capacitive loads for MC's, even Linns own models have varied quite a lot even though they've used the same carts for evaluation; for instance 100 (Intek) and 240 (Linto).

My point in this is that the optimal load varies both between 1) different cartridge models, 2) between different species of the same model, 3) what type and brand of capacitor you're using and, finally, 4) what type of phono preamp you're using. 1) varies the most, the other three less.

The resistive loading has, among other things, a dampening effect on the reproduction. Too little (large resistance) and it becomes slightly overblown, too much (small resistance) and it sounds a bit strangled. It also has other effects, but I think the expression "a load on the cartridge" describes a subjective impression that I find important when finding the optimal resistive load.

Then there's capacitance as well... 10 nF is common for Linn MC's.
yours in music

cartridge loading

Post by yours in music »

Thanks for the great info. I use tube electronics, they are apparently less sensitive to the resistive load, also, according to the manufacturer (Jadis), the phono stage autoadapts to the cartridge used (there is no choice of resistive or capacitive load on the phono preamp).
So, in conclusion, I think I will first change the existing 48K7 Yageo metal film cap by a supposedly higher quality 47K one (the vishay foil resistor: http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_vishay_var.html) and then, try different values for this entry load resistor.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Autoadaptive load? Unless they explain that in detail, I wouldn't believe a word of it.

And then why would there be a 48k7 resistor there in the first place?

I repeat: If you're using an MC, 47k (47000) is far too high. That's MM territory, don't even bother with anything above 470 Ohms for a Linn MC cart.

Also, spending money on expensive components can be a waste of money, in my opinion. There is simply no relationship between price and performance. If you try all resistors that you can find, the best sounding one for this particular application might just as well be a cheap one as the most expensive.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:Autoadaptive load? Unless they explain that in detail, I wouldn't believe a word of it.
I don't exactly understand that phrase either... :wink: . Could it mean there is an automatic adjustment for load :?:
Tony Tune-age