Bringing new life in to a K9?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

CM

Bringing new life in to a K9?

Post by CM »

Interesting needle to try on a K9 or AT-95?

http://www.turntableneedles.com/-710-Ds ... _3721.html
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Bringing new life in to a K9?

Post by Tony Tune-age »

CM wrote:Interesting needle to try on a K9 or AT-95?

http://www.turntableneedles.com/-710-Ds ... _3721.html
Hmmm, considering the cost, it might be worth the experiment. It's way cheaper than the Linn K-9 replacement stylus. Although it may not sound nearly as good either.

My first Linn moving magnet cartridge was the K-9. Only had to replace the stylus once, and that was with a genuine Linn K-9 stylus. Overall, it was a very good performer and I didn't notice any reduction of sound with the Linn replacement stylus.
Tony Tune-age
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

When my Linn Karma got wrecked by a kid back in 1992 funds were not readily available and ended up getting a K9.

To be short the LP12 did not get much use until the Karma went back to Linn for a rebuild in 2000 (yes, I kept it on storage until I had enough SPARE $$$ for a rebuild). Compared to the Karma the K9 sounded like tin cans.

Currently I'm waiting to have enough spare funds to rebuild a wrecked Troika. :mrgreen:
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome back, Vic!

I believe you've had a number of pm's but when the forum tried notifying you, the emails bounced. I don't know anything more than that (I don't have access to anyones pm's).

Are you already using a Expert Stylus rebuilt MC? If so, what do you think of it?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

vicdiaz wrote:When my Linn Karma got wrecked by a kid back in 1992 funds were not readily available and ended up getting a K9.

Compared to the Karma the K9 sounded like tin cans.
After selling my Linn K-9 moving magnet cartridge, I purchased the Klyde moving coil cartridge and the performance difference was huge. Of course the K-9 didn't sound nearly as nice, but it wasn't at the price range of the Klyde either. And needless to say, the Klyde didn't sound nearly as good as the Akiva...again a major price difference between them.

But the K-9 cartridge was certainly competitive in it's price range, and so was the Klyde. Overall the performance of Linn cartridges has been acceptable within their price range, and periodically some have performed favorably with more expensive cartridges as well (as it pertains to my experiences).
Tony Tune-age