Deltron plugs

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Ludwig271

Deltron plugs

Post by Ludwig271 »

My LK140's have Deltron plugs for speaker cable connection. I have always wondered if this type of plugs screwed to the speaker cable, really offer a top connection compared to traditional Linn soldered banana plugs. Furthermore I would like to know an easy way to open the red plastic cap to access the solid brass internal parts.
Thanks.
Ludwig
Ludwig
Main: Unidisk1.1/Dynamik, LP12, Kairn phono,4xLK140, Keltik, all Linn cables
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

There are many types of Deltron plugs, so I can't comment on how to open them.

Optimally soldered Linn Knekt plugs are far superior to a screwed on Deltron (any model). You'll probably be amazed when you hear the difference.
Ludwig271

Post by Ludwig271 »

Thanks for your reply. I understand soldered connections are better than screwed ones. That's why I posted the 3d. Unfortunately LK140 has Deltron plugs for speaker connection. Is Knekt plug compatible with Deltron? Do you have any picture of Knekt plug?
Ludwig
Ludwig
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

Just have a look under 'On the Inside' and there 'Linn bananas'.
Regards, Klaus
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

In the LK140, you have inverted bananas, called BFA's (British Federation of Audio). Deltron is a company that makes many different connectors, including BFA's and standard bananas.

The BFA's in your LK140's are not compatible with standard bananas like Linn Knekt.
Ludwig271

Post by Ludwig271 »

Thanks. Now it's clear. Actually I never liked this "screwed" BFA connection as it does not need too much strenght to take it out from the amplifier.
Any suggestion to improve BFA connections?
Ludwig
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The BFA's can be soldered. If it's properly done, it's a very worthwhile improvement.

The BFA's can also be replaced by banana sockets inside the LK140, but that's a LOT of work! Takes many hours.
Ludwig271

Post by Ludwig271 »

Hi,
can you kindly explain how to solder BFA plugs?
Ludwig
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

deltron

Post by anthony »

Save up and get a 2100 with the normal 4mm sockets.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ludwig271 wrote:Hi,
can you kindly explain how to solder BFA plugs?
If you want an improvement, you'll have to solder them optimally.

If you don't know how to solder BFA's, you won't be able to make it properly. As they have much more mass than regular male banana connectors, practice is needed to obtain good results.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

@Ludwig271,

As you I hate the BFA receptacles used in Linn older amps, they tend to loose the grip very easily which could end in a disaster if the connection between the BFA male connector and the BFA receptacle gets broken while palying music (blown amp).

About a year ago Fred commented here on how he replaced the BFA receptacles on his 2250 amp and the difference it made. Late last year I ended up replacing the BFA receptacles myself (with great tips from Fred!!! :mrgreen: ) and I'm still amazed at how much better the "new" old-style 4mm banana receptacles are!!! The connection is as solid as it can be and it takes a hell of a speaker cable pull to break the connection loose in comparison with the "old" BFA receptacle connection in which a gentle cable pull did break the connection.

Issues will be to get someone to do the solder job (if you can't do it yourself) and the exact Deltron replacement for the BFA receptacles in your LK140. Bet they are the same as in the 2250 but I don't have a LK140 on hand to validate my claim. :(

BTW, it took me about an hour to replace them.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni