Tundra monos driving subwoofers?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Soundside

Tundra monos driving subwoofers?

Post by Soundside »

Hi,

I currently run a pair of large sealed subwoofers (21”) with a QSC PA power amp att about 800w RMS and 1200w peak. But Fredrik mentioned that it might acutally work to use the subs with a pair or Tundra Monos instead to even better match with my Tundra Stereo amps driving the speakers.

Has anyone here tried running subs with the monos with good results, or is this simply not doable due to lack of power? 😊
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra monos driving subwoofers?

Post by ThomasOK »

It's really going to depend on how efficient the subs are and how loud you want to drive them. I drove an 18" JBL 4645C subwoofer in conjunction with the 3677s I had for several years. Fredrik and I also used that setup at a Rocky Mountain Audio Fest with great results. I was using a single subwoofer crossed over at 80Hz with one Tundra Mono and we had plenty of power but that sub has an efficiency of 99dB. Efficiency and room size would certainly have to be taken into account.

Another thought is that if you got a pair of Tundra Monos you would really want to use them on the main speakers for the significant increase in musical quality you would achieve. Then you might relegate the Tundra stereo to the subs. Despite having less power on the subs you would be putting the most musical amps where they would give the most improvement.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Soundside

Re: Tundra monos driving subwoofers?

Post by Soundside »

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your answer. The subs I have are like the ones ”Toids” built on youtube using these drivers. https://www.hifikit.se/komponenter/hogt ... zontalTab2

They are 8 Ohm and 98dB. In the link you can see the video from Toid building them.

The speakers are 2-way JBL’s (a bit like the M2’s) with one Tundra Stereo driving the compression driver and the woofer, and the other Tundra Stereo driving the other one. I would like monoblocks for all 4 channels but that’s a steep investment which I can’t make now.
That’s why I was thinking of getting a used pair of the older monos for the subs. But I can’t really afford to take a gamble here 😅