Linn Factory Tour

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Linn Factory Tour

Post by Hermann »

An interesting report from the Linn factory. Initially in German, the tour in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK3DQ1Vf9KI
Trust your ears
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Factory Tour

Post by springwood64 »

I've seen a couple of these factory tour videos and I find them interesting (I find manufacturing factories and their solutions to the different challenges fascinating anyway - my favourite factory tour was of AEI cables near Chester-Le-Street).

The Linn team come across as very proud of their history and their manufacturing, and their philosophy and pursuit of quality consistency appeals to me.

I haven't seen in any of these videos a final tuning or listening quality control check of the fully assembled devices. Does anyone know if that is part of the Linn process?

I was also struck by the question of how Fredrik manages to create devices that are more musical and yet cheaper than the competing Linn products.

Maybe a Lejonklou factory tour video is needed ;)
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

On a loosely related note, I got some Katans this week. They are a late pair from 2007-ish and I'm a bit stunned how much better they are than speakers that followed, such as the M109 and mk2 212. They remind me of a couple of special upgrades, Arkiv B to Akiva and Ekos 2 to Ekos SE (when Keel was already in-situ). They do that Linn thing that I forget ever existed cos it's been so long since I heard it - were they really that good or just rose tinted memories? - an ability to just play music with ease and not highlight anything and at the same time something tells you 'yes, this is really good'.

As much as I admire the current systems with Organik and what have you, it's been ages since I really heard something special, or special to me at least. There's been this slow but steady shift elsewhere, to a place that's not really offering me anything I want to listen to at home. I hope the Adikt doesn't get replaced anytime soon cos I fear its replacement will be another step back in musicality.

It's not just Linn of course, Naim have been on a similar path and for longer.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Charlie1 wrote: 2024-01-04 23:36 an ability to just play music with ease and not highlight anything and at the same time something tells you 'yes, this is really good'.
Sounds almost like you're quoting the Boazu review ;)
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yeah, that did cross my mind :)
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Unfortunately, factory tours are only possible for me via video, as the factories are in England/Scotland. Many years ago I made an inquiry to Naim, but that didn't turn out to be practical.

Linn's perspective is very interesting regarding employees. A family environment for the entire collaboration is obviously important to the management. What was new to me was that Linn only manufactures to order, which explains a lot in retrospect.
Trust your ears
HBE

Post by HBE »

Interessting video but very little focus on LP12 and the arms (none at all). Is there a video showing more of the turntable items?
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Charlie1 wrote: 2024-01-04 23:36 [...]

As much as I admire the current systems with Organik and what have you, it's been ages since I really heard something special, or special to me at least. There's been this slow but steady shift elsewhere, to a place that's not really offering me anything I want to listen to at home. I hope the Adikt doesn't get replaced anytime soon cos I fear its replacement will be another step back in musicality.

It's not just Linn of course, Naim have been on a similar path and for longer.
I agree with you. I had my Naim 552 equipped with the /DR conversion for the power supply including recapping. When it comes to the price, a comma slipped to my disadvantage, because the result did not offer the slightest corresponding musical gain. As a result, the power supply for the NDS was not converted.
The decision based on knowledge is well known.

However, Linn has one exception, the Ekstatik, which is significantly better in all respects compared to the Kandid.
Trust your ears