Wall Shelf For Linn LP12 Turntable With Trampolin?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Albert Hunt

Wall Shelf For Linn LP12 Turntable With Trampolin?

Post by Albert Hunt »

Hey Folks

I have a Linn LP12 with the Trampolin. It's been sitting on top of my equipment rack in my apartment (old building with wood floors) and it seems like the vibrations from the speakers are traveling down the speaker stands, up the rack, and back to the speakers through stylus causing the woofers to flap.

Anyone have a good wall shelf recommendation?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Wall Shelf For Linn LP12 Turntable With Trampolin?

Post by ThomasOK »

The best wall shelf I am aware of is the long-discontinued AudioTech one (I believe Archidee made essentially the same one for a while). For a little while TigerPaw made a unit based on the same design a few years back but they also stopped trading a while ago.

I have customers using the Quadraspire Bamboo wall shelf and it seems to work OK but I don't think it is in quite the same league musically as the AudioTech. I would recommend against the older Quadraspire wall shelf that used a single aluminum column on each side as they flexed enough to let an LP12 feedback with a powerful subwoofer. The new, wooden upright parts are basically triangular and don't appear to have that problem.

I will be talking to possible alternative metalwork suppliers for the NOKTable in 2024 as my current one raised prices a lot a couple of years ago, causing me to have to increase prices. With the current inflation I am afraid what they will want for the next batch so I'm checking out some other options to see if I can get the same quality for a bit less. If I can get that all sorted out I would like to make an improved incarnation of the AudioTech available (as the NOKTable is an improved incarnation of the Archidee stand). We'll see how that goes in the new year.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Albert Hunt

Post by Albert Hunt »

Thanks, Thomas.

Is this the Quadraspire you're referring to?

https://quadraspire.co.uk/wall-brackets/

Do you have access to second examples of your preferred shelves ? if not, how far into 2024 will the wait be for your recreation and what's the approximate price point?
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

The long now discontinued -from the 90's- Target TT-1 was also a very good wall shelf, you can only get them used now, I once used one for many years under my LP12's. These days the Target name has been bought/acquired by some Canadian outfit and they make compromised junk IMO -very poor welds, heavier metal- which I would stay away from.

Here's a used one, as you can see it's fully finish welded from lightweight steel frame, they don't make stuff like this anymore, will last several lifetimes, I still have one in my attic just in case I need a wall shelf again one day, also agree that the AudioTech & Archidee's/Sound Org's were fine units too if you can find them, also now long discontinued. BTW, the 2 inner vertical beams where you see the mounting screw holes are 16" on center so you can get them secured tight into 16" spread wall studs, no anchors needed, just wood screws:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649 ... s/2983520/
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

I use a cheap ProJect wall shelf

M.
Albert Hunt

Post by Albert Hunt »

I've seen that Project one. How is it?
Albert Hunt

Post by Albert Hunt »

Also came across this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7XO7kWsoa ... uIQAvD_BwE

That Quadraspire is expensive...
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Albert Hunt wrote: 2023-12-06 21:02 Is this the Quadraspire you're referring to?
That's the current one, yes. I had the previous model and traded that for an Audio Tech in July and it's much better. So can warmly recommend Audio Tech, they do show up used now and then. I only paid € 100,- for mine...
I recommend using these wall plugs to attach the shelf to the wall, thereby you only have 4 small points (the 4 nuts) touching the wall and you thereby avoid picking up vibrations from the wall.
Dübel.jpg
I think vibration pickup could be a problem with the Crutchfield shelf, since you have a large metal part connecting to the wall.
I have also replaced the original Audio Tech shelf with one in airplane grade plywood (8 mm, 16 levels).
IMG_5400.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Albert Hunt wrote: 2023-12-06 21:02 Thanks, Thomas.

Do you have access to second examples of your preferred shelves ? if not, how far into 2024 will the wait be for your recreation and what's the approximate price point?
Those are the newer versions. I think the earlier version Thomas is referring to is the one with “bar” arms. I have this version and it has served me well over the years. However, the interfacing connection between the bar arms and the mounting plate is agricultural and requires a good bit of fettling and dressing to get a full contact connection between bar and mounting plate. Once the bracket is mounted on the wall, the bar fasteners are inaccessible; the bars can sag under the weight of the LP12. The only way to correct this is to remove the whole bracket assembly from the wall and fettle the bar to mounting plate connection. That’s why I suggest this is done properly and carefully before mounting.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Yeah, mine was sagging too. I had to correct it with the spikes for the shelf. At least one of them was at the maximum. The Audio Tech is way more solid and sounds better.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Albert Hunt wrote: 2023-12-07 00:19 I've seen that Project one. How is it?
It does its job
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

No mention of Mana, but it is a very nice wall mount. John Watson was never a fan of the Trampolin but there’s no reason it wouldn’t work though you’re better off without it IMO.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Albert Hunt wrote: 2023-12-06 21:02 Thanks, Thomas.

I was referring to the Evo 4 version. The SVT is larger and thicker and I feel it would not be as good a choice as the Evo 4 (although I haven't tried it). The older one with the columns is the one I recommend against.

I don't currently have AudioTech available other than the one I will use as a template. At this point I really have absolutely no idea what my version would run. I have three places that have been recommended to me as possibilities for supplying the metal work and sometime after the first of the year I need to talk to them and see who can do the job and what it will cost. I already have a good local source for the boards. Considering that I have to find the right company, have them make a prototype to make sure they can do the work and that it betters the original, and then have them produced along with getting packaging, etc. I would think it will take a while. As Tendaberry mentions, those Fischer wall mount parts were what were recommended for the AudioTech and I don't think anyone has found anything better. Having the nut separate the bracket from the wall does seem to be a good thing. You do have to be careful that you get a strong enough connection to the wall.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

If you are using the Fischer plugs, buy an extra packet, because using them is a bit fiddly. We managed to destroy the threading on one or two, but once fitted, it's extremely stable. And you can of course adjust the distance of the rack to the wall, I think for mine it's around 6 mm.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

During my active time I installed a few wall racks. A small and thin piece of foam rubber between the metal housing and the washer helped the LP12 sound a little better.
Trust your ears
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Always best to find at least 1 beam and use Hangar or Lag bolts.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

I preferred to use a Baltic birch backer board when mounting to my 16 inch on center 2 x 6 inch framed exterior wall. You can still see the Fischer fixings that were used when I had an Audiotech wall shelf mounted in the same location. The turntable is now in my basement sitting on a poured concrete floor and performs much better on that surface.