Tune Method for aktiv Kabers

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

RobDodds

Tune Method for aktiv Kabers

Post by RobDodds »

I need some help in setting up my recently activated Linn Kabers. I'm using Akurate 4200 and 2200 with the internal crossover cards. I have thrown them hard against a solid wall and they sound so much better than before they had their passive crossovers removed but I think there must be more to get from proper setup.

My question relates to the use of the gain controls on the back of the amps.

Should I be getting the best position in relation to back wall and toe in etc with gains set flat, and then seeing if there is any improvement by tweaking the treble and bass up or down a dB or so?

Or the reverse?

Or is it not so scientific and just pot luck.

Thanks in advance.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tune Method for aktiv Kabers

Post by Tendaberry »

RobDodds wrote: 2023-11-23 18:44 Should I be getting the best position in relation to back wall and toe in etc with gains set flat, and then seeing if there is any improvement by tweaking the treble and bass up or down a dB or so?
This is the way to go!
ITB

Post by ITB »

From "Linn Installation procedure Aktiv modules 1993"
Linn Aktiv Modules - 015.jpg
Linn Aktiv Modules - 016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

My experience with Linn’s plug in aktiv cards is that the level of the amps always end up on default setting (is that position 4? Don’t remember). Adjusting them up or down is always worse, regardless of whether the speakers are optimally positioned or very far from optimal.

The reason behind the default setting being the best is:
1. The circuit sounds best at the default setting and worse above and below. In other words, the whole amplifier is most musical at the default setting.
2. The steps are far too large to be of any practical use. Adjusting the treble in steps of 1 dB is useless from a musical perspective. One fifth of that would be more suitable.
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

ITB wrote: 2023-11-24 11:28 From "Linn Installation procedure Aktiv modules 1993"

Thanks for this. Most helpful.
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-11-24 11:49 My experience with Linn’s plug in aktiv cards is that the level of the amps always end up on default setting (is that position 4? Don’t remember). Adjusting them up or down is always worse, regardless of whether the speakers are optimally positioned or very far from optimal.

The reason behind the default setting being the best is:
1. The circuit sounds best at the default setting and worse above and below. In other words, the whole amplifier is most musical at the default setting.
2. The steps are far too large to be of any practical use. Adjusting the treble in steps of 1 dB is useless from a musical perspective. One fifth of that would be more suitable.
Thanks Frederik, not having to mess with the gain settings will remove one variable. My room and domestic restrictions are difficult enough already. The speakers sound so much better already with the passive crossovers removed so I'm looking forward to any further improvements enthusiastically.
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

RobDodds wrote: 2023-11-24 18:56
ITB wrote: 2023-11-24 11:28 From "Linn Installation procedure Aktiv modules 1993"

I don’t think those are for Chakra Active cards. On the back of the amps there is a dial where you can adjust the gain. What tweeter do you have?
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

The default gain is at 3
ITB

Post by ITB »

Linn Chakra Aktiv-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2023-11-24 19:36
RobDodds wrote: 2023-11-24 18:56

I don’t think those are for Chakra Active cards. On the back of the amps there is a dial where you can adjust the gain. What tweeter do you have?
Yes, I have all of the dials set at default 0dB which is the one o'clock position.

I have the original ceramic tweeter non 3-bar version.