Ianw

Utopik upgrade

Post by Ianw »

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Utopik upgrade

Post by ThomasOK »

Here is a combination of posts I made elsewhere with most of the relevant information.

Linn has just officially announced the availability of Utopik for a number of units, some of which rather surprised me. They have also announced a Utopik promotion which runs from November 1 through January 31, 2024.

The products for which Utopik will now be availabe is: Klimax DS (all models)
Klimax DSM (all models)
Klimax Renew DS
Klimax System Hub (all models)
Selekt DSM (all models)
Akurate DS (all models)
Akurate DSM (all models)
Akurate Exaktbox-6 and -10
Akurate Kontrol (all models)
Akurate CD
Kustom DSM Z4 and Z8
Majik DS (all models)
Unidisk (all models)

I didn't expect the Klimax Renew DS to be supported considering they didn't allow people to do them when they did Organik upgrades. I also really didn't expect Akurate CD and UniDisk to be supported. Especially considering Linn doesn't offer service on disc spinners. On top of that the lasers are wearing out on most of those units and replacements are not available. Certainly not a place where I would spend any more money. Majik DS is also a bit of a surprise, especially since Majik DSM is not mentioned. But Majik DSM has an amplifier built in so would need a bigger power supply as would Akurate and Majik power amps.

Also surprising, and certainly disappointing, is the lack of Utopik for Radikal. Just as with the Selekt Utopik having come out first, there seems no drive to upgrade the top products first.

The price is the same on all versions at $1755 in the US. These are on the price list that came out yesterday and the other info came out today so I expect you can already place orders. The promotion gets you a free Utopik upgrade when you purchase a new Linn product or Organik upgrade.

I found the following slightly confusing verbiage in an official document. So it appears that other products besides those initially listed also qualify.

The promotion only applies when purchasing any new:
DSM
Amplifier
Exaktbox
Loudspeaker
Complete turntable
Organik DAC upgrades

Exceptions can be made for any other standalone upgrades/accessories with a total retail value of £3,000 or more e.g., individual LP12 components, upgrades, stands, cables etc.

Maybe it is the translation from Scottish but if it only applies then there aren't exceptions. Ah, the English language is going down the tubes.

I would suspect that the value needed in the US would probably be around $4000 and in Canada around $5000, but I have not seen a US version of the document yet. As to Majik 109 I imagine there will be an update to the program to cover that once they notice it. They mention even upgrades, cables and stands, etc. so it sounds like you can put together whatever you want to reach that level. Like Karousel and Krystal as one of many possible examples.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-10-28 20:46 Here is a combination of posts I made elsewhere with most of the relevant information.

Linn has just officially announced the availability of Utopik for a number of units, some of which rather surprised me. They have also announced a Utopik promotion which runs from November 1 through January 31, 2024.

The products for which Utopik will now be availabe is: Klimax DS (all models)
Klimax DSM (all models)
Klimax Renew DS
Klimax System Hub (all models)
Selekt DSM (all models)
Akurate DS (all models)
Akurate DSM (all models)
Akurate Exaktbox-6 and -10
Akurate Kontrol (all models)
Akurate CD
Kustom DSM Z4 and Z8
Majik DS (all models)
Unidisk (all models)

I didn't expect the Klimax Renew DS to be supported considering they didn't allow people to do them when they did Organik upgrades. I also really didn't expect Akurate CD and UniDisk to be supported. Especially considering Linn doesn't offer service on disc spinners. On top of that the lasers are wearing out on most of those units and replacements are not available. Certainly not a place where I would spend any more money. Majik DS is also a bit of a surprise, especially since Majik DSM is not mentioned. But Majik DSM has an amplifier built in so would need a bigger power supply as would Akurate and Majik power amps.

Also surprising, and certainly disappointing, is the lack of Utopik for Radikal. Just as with the Selekt Utopik having come out first, there seems no drive to upgrade the top products first.

The price is the same on all versions at $1755 in the US. These are on the price list that came out yesterday and the other info came out today so I expect you can already place orders. The promotion gets you a free Utopik upgrade when you purchase a new Linn product or Organik upgrade.

I found the following slightly confusing verbiage in an official document. So it appears that other products besides those initially listed also qualify.

The promotion only applies when purchasing any new:
DSM
Amplifier
Exaktbox
Loudspeaker
Complete turntable
Organik DAC upgrades

Exceptions can be made for any other standalone upgrades/accessories with a total retail value of £3,000 or more e.g., individual LP12 components, upgrades, stands, cables etc.

Maybe it is the translation from Scottish but if it only applies then there aren't exceptions. Ah, the English language is going down the tubes.

I would suspect that the value needed in the US would probably be around $4000 and in Canada around $5000, but I have not seen a US version of the document yet. As to Majik 109 I imagine there will be an update to the program to cover that once they notice it. They mention even upgrades, cables and stands, etc. so it sounds like you can put together whatever you want to reach that level. Like Karousel and Krystal as one of many possible examples.
Interesting information!

I find no problem with Linn's use of English or their logic with their usage of, "only". If Linn had chosen to write in Scots - it's never, "Scottish" - that's like describing Scots as, "Scotch" (which never goes down as well as a good quality single malt) I would've been surprised. I've never heard Ivor or any other Scottish Linn employee use Scots.

As a current and future Linn user I've been extremely satisfied with all but one Linn purchase I've made - even that esteemed disc spinner fetched a tidy sum when I sold it after twenty years of use.

At roughly 03:20 in the attached hilarious clip, the objector to the comedic usage of, "Scotch" was a Linn employee (I was there with him).

https://youtu.be/tHA1ufmLZQY?si=9ypVKVqFoBUHgcly
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Utopik upgrades
Another excellent video from Ripcaster.

Hope they don’t mind sharing.

Excellent details on the upgrade for all currently supported units.

https://youtu.be/j7F91PGfctE?si=WliCCBTbtZrFHU7o
HBE

Post by HBE »

And again Linn's retailers should dispose the old PSU-card, Dynamik or older, so the owner could not sell it or use it in another item.
Same as when upgrading to Radikal 2, motor control card and motor in the garbage.
Reprehensible.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

HBE wrote: 2023-11-03 09:45 And again Linn's retailers should dispose the old PSU-card, Dynamik or older, so the owner could not sell it or use it in another item.
Same as when upgrading to Radikal 2, motor control card and motor in the garbage.
Reprehensible.
Why on earth should Linn's retailers dispose of "my", already paid for, legally owned PSU card?
If I have a friend who needs my old dynamik card, why should I not pass it on?
I have indeed retained my old card - not least because if I don't like the upgrade I can go back.

I suppose when you take your old car into your garage and buy a new one, you would not be upset if your garage owner confiscated your old car to prevent you reselling it.

But I did upgrade to the Utopik a few days ago, on my ADS Kat streamer.
Noticeable improvement. More detail and musicality. Instruments stand further apart. Individual musical phrases stand alone better. It is the sort of upgrade that makes you want to re listen to your favourite tracks and discover a bit more.

Takes a couple of days burn-in for the bass to settle down. Sorry I cannot be more helpful - not a tune demmer.

Best from York
Don
HBE

Post by HBE »

donuk wrote: 2023-11-03 14:59
HBE wrote: 2023-11-03 09:45 And again Linn's retailers should dispose the old PSU-card, Dynamik or older, so the owner could not sell it or use it in another item.
Reprehensible.
Why on earth should Linn's retailers dispose of "my", already paid for, legally owned PSU card?
If I have a friend who needs my old dynamik card, why should I not pass it on?
I have indeed retained my old card - not least because if I don't like the upgrade I can go back.

I suppose when you take your old car into your garage and buy a new one, you would not be upset if your garage owner confiscated your old car to prevent you reselling it.

But I did upgrade to the Utopik a few days ago, on my ADS Kat streamer.
Noticeable improvement. More detail and musicality. Instruments stand further apart. Individual musical phrases stand alone better. It is the sort of upgrade that makes you want to re listen to your favourite tracks and discover a bit more.

Takes a couple of days burn-in for the bass to settle down. Sorry I cannot be more helpful - not a tune demmer.

Best from York
Don
Here is the text regarding the issue:

"To celebrate the launch of Utopik, Linn will provide one, free of charge, with a qualifying purchase for a limited period – 31st January 2024. Alternatively you can buy a Utopik for £1,350 (including fitting and proper disposal of the incumbent Dynamik)."

I could fix a "proper disposal of the incumbent Dynamik" myself. Don't need any help from the retailer to do that ;-)
cjls

Post by cjls »

Do you get an extended warranty on the device when installing the Utopik, as was previously offered when switching to the Dynamik?
cjls

Post by cjls »

I just asked the same question on Linn's Instagram and received an immediate response:
The warranty only covers the power supply.

Very, very disappointing
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

But logical from a manufacturer's point of view.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

cjls wrote: 2023-11-03 22:13 I just asked the same question on Linn's Instagram and received an immediate response:

Very, very disappointing

I think you are being unrealistic, perhaps you expect too much from your hifi suppliers.

Try this:

Go to you local garage and ask him to fit a new engine in your car. No doubt he will give you some sort of guarantee.

Go back to him a few months later and tell him that your clutch has broken. Tell him that he should replace the clutch free of charge because you bought a new engine from him a few months earlier.

When he laughs at you, tell him that his response is "Very, very disappointing".

Run....

Donuk York
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

+1
Considering that the products that Linn are providing this upgrade for have in some cases been discontinued for over a decade, not to mention that the lasers in disc spinners do wear out over time, it is a bit much to expect Linn to extend a 5 year warranty on the whole machine.
The LP12 Whisperer
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

donuk wrote: 2023-11-04 11:25
cjls wrote: 2023-11-03 22:13 I just asked the same question on Linn's Instagram and received an immediate response:

Very, very disappointing

I think you are being unrealistic, perhaps you expect too much from your hifi suppliers.

Try this:

Go to you local garage and ask him to fit a new engine in your car. No doubt he will give you some sort of guarantee.

Go back to him a few months later and tell him that your clutch has broken. Tell him that he should replace the clutch free of charge because you bought a new engine from him a few months earlier.

When he laughs at you, tell him that his response is "Very, very disappointing".

Run....

Donuk York
:) +1
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Isn't the only reasonable thing that the Utopik upgrade will come for the Radikal aswell or what do you guys think? I really want to start planning for Radikal 2 but it's the Utopik thing that holds me back..
the players of instruments shall be there..
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Efraim roots wrote: 2023-11-23 15:28 Isn't the only reasonable thing that the Utopik upgrade will come for the Radikal aswell or what do you guys think? I really want to start planning for Radikal 2 but it's the Utopik thing that holds me back..
Me too ...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'd be rather shocked if the Utopik didn't come out for the Radikal, indeed I'm surprised it hasn't already since it is one of the smaller power supplies. Dynamik certainly made a substantial upgrade to the musical performance of the Radikal so it is to be expected the Utopik will too. But I would guess we won't see it until sometime next year.
The LP12 Whisperer
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

This evening I was able to listen to the Klimax dsm3 hub with utopik upgrade.

The sound difference for the better was very big, bigger than the difference between katalyst and organik in my opinion. The klimax hub didnt have a D/A converter , it was an exakt system .

If the difference is as big with utopik in the cheaper DS range, then a Majik DS with utopik might sound better than an Akurate DS from the same year.
martijn1001

Post by martijn1001 »

Was it an a/b comparison with the Klimax hub?
I have been having doubts for some time, it is a significant investment for me. If this makes a significant step forward, I would be happy to do it, but I am looking for some certainty in advance.

I play with an exakt setup with an AEB-I with Katalyst. Can replacing the PSU in the KEDSM make such a big difference?
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

I have had the Utopik upgrade done to my next gen KDSM Hub a few days ago. The improvement is big - as much as going from the previous gen hub to the current one.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I added a Utopik to my ADS Kat about a month ago.

It is a very worthwhile upgrade - at least as big as when I upgraded to the Katalyst board.
So regardless of pricing debates, it is well worth doing.
The sound is more like music - another step towards having a band in the room.
Don't expect immediate results - it takes a week for the response to balance out. At first it was a little bit too bright, but then the bass came through and has remained.
IMHO, because there is, to my ears, more detail, information, coming in to the room, the overall effect might be, after burn-in, a slightly brighter sound. This can of course be remedied by the Treble and Bass Shelf Filters, recently introduced.... :-)

Do I hear the anti-tone-control brigade sharpening their knives? But no, it is the season of goodwill.

Early Seasonal Greetings

Donuk
teatime

Post by teatime »

Flatcoat wrote: 2023-12-03 12:13 I have had the Utopik upgrade done to my next gen KDSM Hub a few days ago. The improvement is big - as much as going from the previous gen hub to the current one.
Great to hear it, mine is on order! :D
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

donuk wrote: 2023-12-04 13:38 I added a Utopik to my ADS Kat about a month ago.

It is a very worthwhile upgrade - at least as big as when I upgraded to the Katalyst board.
So regardless of pricing debates, it is well worth doing.
The sound is more like music - another step towards having a band in the room.
Don't expect immediate results - it takes a week for the response to balance out. At first it was a little bit too bright, but then the bass came through and has remained.
IMHO, because there is, to my ears, more detail, information, coming in to the room, the overall effect might be, after burn-in, a slightly brighter sound. This can of course be remedied by the Treble and Bass Shelf Filters, recently introduced.... :-)

Do I hear the anti-tone-control brigade sharpening their knives? But no, it is the season of goodwill.

Early Seasonal Greetings

Donuk
Just getting ready to carve the turkey! Hopefully that came across as reassuring! ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Did the upgrade to m Akurate DSM/1 this week. Note this has the option to use analog volum control (which is was better than the hybrid alternative).
First via streaming, clearly more enjoyable music. Sharper definition of drums was the first I noticed then just more relaxing and easy to follow the music.
Vinyl was way bigger differene (LP12, karousel, Majik subchassis, Lingo4, Akito 3 and Klyde). I sued the Linto instead of the internal MC card. Instruments which I had not notice before and everything tidied up.
A lot more fun and a very musical upgrade and for the increase in quality, the cost is low.

Interestingly this is more enjoyable than using Selekt DSM with Utopik and Organic dac but that's possibly a different topic.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-11-25 00:26 I'd be rather shocked if the Utopik didn't come out for the Radikal, indeed I'm surprised it hasn't already since it is one of the smaller power supplies. Dynamik certainly made a substantial upgrade to the musical performance of the Radikal so it is to be expected the Utopik will too. But I would guess we won't see it until sometime next year.
It never ceases to surprise me just how significant all the PS upgrades on the LP12 have a major uplift on sound.
I started with a Majik then went to serviced Lingo 1
Then L1 to Akurate Radikal 1 Dynamik
Then to KRad Dynamik
Then to KRad 2.

Amazingly the KRad 2 was the best musical improvement.

The Utopik should lift things yet again.
martijn1001

Post by martijn1001 »

The Utopik has been part of my Linn system for about six weeks now. It was placed in my KEDSM and in the end the result exceeded my expectations. After all the positive online buzz, expectations were quite high in advance. After installation, it took quite a while before the full potential of the upgrade was unlocked.

I am now also happy to make the investment in my akurate Exaktbox-I. Does anyone here happen to know whether these will also be nominated for this psu?