Alternative LP12 tonearms

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

vicdiaz

Alternative LP12 tonearms

Post by vicdiaz »

Let's put on my flak jacket first.....

OK, today I noticed that my Ittok's headshell has developed some type of 'corrosive' reaction and the black paint has developed warts (no kidding!!!).

Living in the tropics I'm almost sure that humidity has something to do with it...

I'm considering sending the arm to Audio Origami for some tender loving care and cosmetic touch-up but my dilemma is that I'll be without analog music for at least 8 weeks. In the meantime I'm considering a temporary low cost tonearm alternative since a used Ekos 2 or Ekos SE are way out of my toy fund expense account balance.

Budget is around $250-$300 USD, unless I can justify the cost of a used Ekos 2 by adding up the Ittok service fee+shipping+cost of budget tonearm.

The usual suspects are budget Linn tonearms but I'm also curious about the Jelco tonearms.

Anyone with experience on the Jelcos???
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I have a Jelco 250ST arm that I had mounted on my Technics SL1210. I couldn't really give any reliable judgement on how good it really is as I only had the original technics arm to compare with. I still have the arm and it would really be interesting to compare it with my Ekos on my Sondek but I don't dare to do that operation myself. My feeling still is that the Jelco arms are very good value for money. Feels like good quality and gave a nice lift to my original techncis arm. The dealer in UK who I bought the Jelco from even claims that Jelco were the makers of some version of Linn Ittock arm.
the players of instruments shall be there..
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Efraim roots wrote:The dealer in UK who I bought the Jelco from even claims that Jelco were the makers of some version of Linn Ittock arm.
That maybe true for the original Ittok LV-II since it was manufactured in Japan to Linn specs. BTW, the tonearm designer last name was 'Itto'.

AFAIK, Ittok LV-IIIs were manufactured in Scotland.
Vic
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Depending on cost, perhaps a used second generation Linn Akito tonearm might be a temporary solution.
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, if you can find one you'll most likely want to keep it instead of the Ittok.

Getting dressed now, while looking for Sinatra in the shelves. Have a wonderful Evening, folks! :D
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Hello Vicdiaz, have you located a temporary tonearm?
Tony Tune-age
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Hello Vicdiaz, have you located a temporary tonearm?
I'm looking for a recent Akito and have not seen one yet... :roll:
Vic
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Maybe you'll find one eventually, the new Akito is a nice sounding tonearm. Actually, the original Akito wasn't poor sounding - just not as nice as the newer version.
Tony Tune-age