Actually thought Linn prices don't excite me

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Actually thought Linn prices don't excite me

Post by Hermann »

Today my friendly dealer sent me a new protective hood for the Ekstatik. Unfortunately, he had not mentioned the price beforehand, because then I would have given up immediately. 26 euros for a piece of plastic, which as a produced individual part could hardly be priced in cents. Even if a smaller quantity could be accepted, the price is outrageous in my opinion. I'm not concerned with the amount itself, but the value it represents. I'd rather be a little more careful when dusting off the LP12 than succumb to this usury.

Is the price similar in other countries?
Trust your ears
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Actually thought Linn prices don't excite me

Post by tokenbrit »

Did you buy your Ekstatik from said "friendly dealer"? If so, then I'm not sure they're deserving of that title. €26 isn't a lot to protect a €7.2k cart, but it's also an opportunity for a little goodwill on the part of the dealer (& Linn?) in appreciation of the (repeat) business 🤔
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, that's rather a lot for a small piece of plastic. I suppose we don't know what the manufacturer charges for a similar cart of their own brand - forget their name now.

I struggle to reconcile the price difference of a Rega Anniversary P3 with external motor at £899, or even a fully loaded P10, against a modern LP12s of any kind.

Any why has a Keel gone up about 60% since its launch 15+ years ago? Seemed very expensive for what it was when it came out, let alone now. Also, Linn machine them at the factory now. I know all costs have gone up but blimey.

We all want them to be successful, cover their costs and make a profit but I dunno, still seems overly expensive at times.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Linn appear to be working on relatively high gross profit margins in the region of 57%. This compares to about 39% for Naim. This makes Linn about 46% more expensive for a like-for-like product leaving the factory floor. These figures don’t include administrative costs, salaries, R&D, etc. Linn spent £1,200,000 on R&D. Naim spent £1,345,010 on R&D. Interesting!

These figures are in the public domain.

Linn: https://find-and-update.company-inform ... ng-history

Naim: https://find-and-update.company-inform ... ng-history
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

So Naim have double the turnover - have I read that right?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-08-16 12:39 So Naim have double the turnover - have I read that right?
That’s correct. 2.5X in the UK and 1.8X worldwide.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Without LP12 and speaker sales, that disparity in turnover between the two companies would be even more marked... :!