Opinions welcome, cheap MC on Planar 3 / Linto

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Heretik

Opinions welcome, cheap MC on Planar 3 / Linto

Post by Heretik »

Hey, I convinced my brother of getting a better turntable and so I ended up with his old planar 3. Hhm… this old engine is surprisingly a lot of fun to listen for a while. Don‘t get me wrong my „digital“ source for music is better (significantly better). I had an LP 12 until 2007, which was a kind of unreliable partner, so I was happy to move into Linns world of file based music. However the 3 seems to be quite stable for his age and is also a Time Machine for your travel back in the 90ties. Currently a Elyse 2 is connected to a creek preamp. The preamp is borrowed, but another friend sold me his spare Linto as bargain. I couldn’t resist to by this old hero. Sorry for throwing a short question into a longer story, but here is the question: Would a Denon DL 103 a good choice for a Planar 3 and a Linto?

Probably the Excalibur / Hana MCs are a better fit, but they are a least double the price and might sound to sophisticated (?).

The focus should be on musical engagement and emotions, maybe a little bit reduced on details like the current Pl3 & Elyse setup. The construction of the dl 103 is even older as the Rega and not from UK, does this work? Does it make music?

Thank you in advance to share your experience and opinions 😊
I love to start the day with a coffee and music with my sneakyDS. ExaktAkubarik for a deeper dive 😊.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Opinions welcome, cheap MC on Planar 3 / Linto

Post by Arjen »

Hi,
I myself don’t play MC, but a friend of mine is very happy with the DL-103. His turntable is a super modificated Lenco L75 with a refurbished tonearm with more mass and counterweight. His phono is the Black Cube. Sound is vintage, musical, maybe only a little less detailed as my Nagaoka MP500 kinda MM), very pleasant with Jazz, singer/songwriter, classical music and popmusic form sixties and seventies. A brother of mine has the same setup now, changed from Thorens TD125 / ortofon black to the Lenco Supermod and DL-103 and was astonished with the improvement of performance.
So check mass and counterweight of your tonearm if it will suit the Denon. If so, I think it will be a good and affordible choice.
See also Vinylrestart.com for a review on what might be the best cartridge on a Planar3.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

If you go by the traditional rules, the effective mass of the Rega arm is too low for the Denon 103, so you will probably loose some bass performance. It wouldn't be my first (or second) choice for a Rega 3. What is your budget?
If you definitely want an MC cartridge, maybe an Audio Technica AT33EV could be an option? I've seen them here in Germany for 398,-
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I tried a Denon 103 on a Rega 3, but it was long ago. Didn’t enjoy it at all.

I agree with Tendaberry that an AT MC might be OK, but I’m unsure whether it will actually be an improvement over an Elys 2.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Heretik wrote: 2023-08-08 18:29 The preamp is borrowed, but another friend sold me his spare Linto as bargain. I couldn’t resist to by this old hero. Sorry for throwing a short question into a longer story, but here is the question: Would a Denon DL 103 a good choice for a Planar 3 and a Linto?
Just be aware that some Lintos are now in need of a service (not the surface mount components). Some are failing and some don't sound so great. I bought one last year and it seemed mediocre based on my memory of my original (new) one. Class A will service them with Linn-supplied components if you're in the UK.
Heretik

Post by Heretik »

Thanks for your replies. A lot of input to think over. Maybe keep the Elys 2, sell the Linto and get my own creek MM preamp. Maybe better spend some money for a power supply.
I love to start the day with a coffee and music with my sneakyDS. ExaktAkubarik for a deeper dive 😊.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Heretik wrote: 2023-08-09 22:02 Thanks for your replies. A lot of input to think over. Maybe keep the Elys 2, sell the Linto and get my own creek MM preamp. Maybe better spend some money for a power supply.
Don't you have a friend, where you could try the Linto? Anyway, a Creek phono pre wouldn't be my first choice. Why don't you look for a second-hand Lejonklou pre?
Heretik

Post by Heretik »

We have tested the Linto, it worked and sounded fine. It was with a simple AT OC9 on a friends old Thorens. The Adikt on his main vinyl source, an Ittok Lingo 1 Cirkus LP12 was significantly better. But there was nothing wrong with Thorens / OC 9 / Linto, just a more entry level performance. However the Linto / OC 9 Kombinationen was an improvement compared with his AT 95 / Creek combination.

Back to the Rega. The Elys is running fine, so no pressure for replacement. Therefore a used Lejonklou pre has been also my thoughts. Meanwhile I have read a lot about pick ups in forums and the Rega Exact seems to be also a good future upgrade path when the Elys is worn out.

A used Lejonklou sounds like a really nice upgrade over the creek. I used the creek wich was on hand as fried had a spare unit. My impression is, that the creek does a good job for its entry level price point.

I would describe the Planar 3 / Elys / Creek combination as very engaging sounding. But I am expiring this as a kind of signature and a little bit limiting the facets of music.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts 😊