More About Powering a System

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Re: More About Powering a System

Post by u252agz »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-05-14 21:01 I'd like to make a WARNING about daisy-chaining power strips.

Every strip has a power rating, which is printed on it. If the sum of the power consumed by all units connected to the strip exceeds the strip's power rating, metal parts will be heated enough to potentially cause a fire.

If a power strip has a second strip daisy-chained to it, it will be loaded with the power consumption of all units connected to both strips. Although most HiFi units don't consume much power, someone could for instance plug a high power vacuum cleaner or a radiator into one of the free outlets and then the total sum of power consumed might add up to more than what the first strip is rated for.

So don’t daisy-chain power strips!
I have my Tundras located far from my sources and preamp, and connected with long 9 metre silvers.

There is no risk of overloading in my set up - so should I keep it as it is or plug the Tundras into a separate wall socket?
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-05-12 11:32 I have now tried every possible combination of how to power one source, one preamp and two power amps (Källa, Superkikkin, Tundra Mono 3 and Tundra Mono 3) with a six-way standard power strip (Clas Ohlson 36-8904) that has one long brass strip feeding every socket for both live, neutral and ground.

hey Fredrik the Clas Ohlson 36-8904 you mentioned seems to be one of the newer versions which I got from Norway but my newer one has a different power cable version on it than the older ones.
The new one has a NINGBO HONGYI TECHNOLOGIES + SF cable.

The older Clas Ohlson has different number 32-7216 and a NINGBO QIANGHONG + SF cable. Maybe I am lucky and the new one sounds even better than the older one.
If you dont mind and if its not too much of effort it would be great if your 36-8904 also has a NINGBO HONGYI TECHNOLOGIES + SF cable.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

u252agz wrote: 2023-05-16 11:57 There is no risk of overloading in my set up - so should I keep it as it is or plug the Tundras into a separate wall socket?
It may be far from overloading in its current configuration, but if someone plugs in a high power radiator (which one really shouldn’t power from a strip), that could change.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2023-05-16 16:58 hey Fredrik the Clas Ohlson 36-8904 you mentioned seems to be one of the newer versions which I got from Norway but my newer one has a different power cable version on it than the older ones.
The new one has a NINGBO HONGYI TECHNOLOGIES + SF cable.

The older Clas Ohlson has different number 32-7216 and a NINGBO QIANGHONG + SF cable. Maybe I am lucky and the new one sounds even better than the older one.
If you dont mind and if its not too much of effort it would be great if your 36-8904 also has a NINGBO HONGYI TECHNOLOGIES + SF cable.
I think I have both variants and at least one more. I haven’t compared them, just concluded they all sound good.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

I've been using the Deltaco GT-126 Rev3 with 6 outlets for the last 10 years or so. The Deltaco was recommended in this forum.
My question is. Should I replace it with the one mentioned from Clas Ohlson? And does its cable have any text that should go in a certain direction?
Last edited by Whatsmynaim on 2023-05-19 13:46, edited 3 times in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I think I have two Deltaco GT-126 (not sure about Rev 3) and back when I bought them I compared them to the then current Clas Ohlson six-way strip (it’s been changed a couple of times since). I found them to sound almost identical. So I don’t think you need to be in a rush to replace your Deltaco.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Thanks for the reply Fredrik!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Thanks for this thread, especially to Spannko!
i don't use a power strip but could apply some results to get a higher level of musicality :)
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thanks matthias!
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-05-19 00:27 I think I have two Deltaco GT-126 (not sure about Rev 3) and back when I bought them I compared them to the then current Clas Ohlson six-way strip (it’s been changed a couple of times since). I found them to sound almost identical. So I don’t think you need to be in a rush to replace your Deltaco.
Fredrik, The Clas Ohlson is priced about 80 Euro, the Deltaco GT-126 17,50 Euro. Are we talking about same quality, same sound effect? And is your experience that both those rather cheap ines have same sound quality as
High end audiophile powerstrips connected with high end powercable?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The Clas Ohlson strip is 8 Euro, not 80.

They are both better than every “high end” power strip I’ve ever tried. In my experience, there are no good “high end” power cords or power strips. They all seem to be designed to sound spectacular but make a mess of the music.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-05-20 17:49 The Clas Ohlson strip is 8 Euro, not 80.

They are both better than every “high end” power strip I’ve ever tried. In my experience, there are no good “high end” power cords or power strips. They all seem to be designed to sound spectacular but make a mess of the music.
And don't forget about that cheapo IKEA 6 position KOPPLA thing. 3 or 4 bucks and the best thing I have yet to hear when you load it properly. ...And agree about all those $$ Hi-Fi dedicated strips, they all mess with the overall performance. I'd like to try one of those Clas Ohlson strip but they seem to be a European AC Config only thing.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Ah, 80 Norske kroner, no Euros.
But then, is a switch needed or better to stay out?
Clas Ohlson is not available in Holland, DeLtaco is. But is the last one the best alternative or are there others like Brennenstuhl or Ikea or doesn’t is matter at all which one of the strips in this price range? what to look out for when it’s about high end audio?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Arjen wrote: 2023-05-20 21:17

Ah, 80 Norske kroner, no Euros.
But then, is a switch needed or better to stay out?
Clas Ohlson is not available in Holland, DeLtaco is. But is the last one the best alternative or are there others like Brennenstuhl or Ikea or doesn’t is matter at all which one of the strips in this price range? what to look out for when it’s about high end audio?
In my experience any strip that has an on/off switch, built in circuit breaker or surge protector sounds worse than just a simple plug strip with zero "extra" features.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Arjen wrote: 2023-05-20 21:17But is the last one the best alternative or are there others like Brennenstuhl or Ikea or doesn’t is matter at all which one of the strips in this price range? what to look out for when it’s about high end audio?
They all sound different, so you need to listen and compare.

Like tpetsch wrote, stick to the simplest models with no switch or protection.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tpetsch wrote: 2023-05-21 01:00 In my experience any strip that has an on/off switch, built in circuit breaker or surge protector sounds worse than just a simple plug strip with zero "extra" features.
Thus has been my experience as well. When I bought two basic six outlet strips a while ago I bypassed the switch on one of them. When I did my comparisons the ranking was:

1) the CablePro rewired with single runs for plus and neutral of Volex J 14 gauge wire (instead of star wired with teflon-coated, silver-plated copper as in the stock units)
2) the basic strip with the power switch bypassed
3) the stock CablePro
4) the basic strip with switch intact (although 3 and 4 were close and different sounding)

Not having the switch in the circuit made a significant improvement as you can see. Surge protection in the circuit tends to mess it up even more in my experience.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-05-21 09:51
Arjen wrote: 2023-05-20 21:17But is the last one the best alternative or are there others like Brennenstuhl or Ikea or doesn’t is matter at all which one of the strips in this price range? what to look out for when it’s about high end audio?
They all sound different, so you need to listen and compare.

Like tpetsch wrote, stick to the simplest models with no switch or protection.
I tried a good basic one and powered all the devices from that one, direct or via more expensive one. But the music sounded thin, not very dynamic, so less involving.
With only the Slipsik phono in the basic one and TT, amp and power supplies in the more high end with audio sensibility cords the result is more musical, more transparant and dynamic, more involving again. Might be better this way than the Slipsik with all others in the high end strip.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I have followed this thread with interest.

Today a 6 way mains extender from CPC Farnell arrived.

Previously I had two four way extenders, both plugged into the same 2 gang wall socket.

Original arrangement:

Kinki|Axis|Hakai|Boazu
Ubiqiti|Netgear|_|_

Now I have replaced one 4-way with a 6-way.

I picked a first attempt new arrangement to check if I could hear a substantial difference:

Kinki|Axis|Hakai|_|_|Boazu
Ubiqiti|_|_|Netgear

... and I haven't wanted to try a different combination since.

I will take the time to test different configurations once I've got bored with all the music
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Hi all, I use a stock cablepro eight socket powerstrip with a Lejonklou power cable as the mains cable going into it. I have connected and tried almost every combination of plugging my gear into it to decide what sounds most musical. The results are very close to what the forum and Fredrik have found to be the best order and I thought I would share my previous best and what is now my favorite and preferred connections.

Old best was going to every other plug orientation where I surmised that there was a synergy using it that way being daisy chained duplexed outlets.
LPC---(GPi)(-)--(Rad)(-)--(S8)(-)--(TS)(-)

My latest and best configuration is below. It was interesting that the Slipsik8 seemed to like that open duplex skip in this way. It sounded worse every time I tried to use the Slipsik closer to the source and preamp combo on the first duplex. Also, it was worse to put the Slipsik before the Radikal. It was worse to put Radikal in front of Giella Pi.

LPC---(GPi)(Rad)--(-)(-)--(S8)(-)--(TS)(-)

I suppose if I ever do get a chance to put tundra monos in my system I would first start by using sockets 7 and 8 for those power amps.
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting findings. Preamp first and Radikal second has always been the most musical. In my case Källa is fourth (Radikal being third due to Sagatun Monos being 1 and 2). Since I have nine items to plug in (2 SINGularity and 2 TM3 fill out the strip and a Kremlin direct into the wall) I don't get to play with empty sockets. I don't feel too deprived by this. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you nmakowsk!

I posted my preferred order earlier, but lately I had some additional findings. I found that if I had additional units powered in the “empty slots” (like two more power amps being used for a comparison), the optimal order was not the same. So the empty slots in the power strip really need to be empty. Connecting something in them can result in a different optimal order in the power strip.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Just a quick (US) power cord update after getting system upgrades completed - thanks Tom - and letting them burn in for a while... The power cord isn't burned in yet, but a 2ft 16AWG Volex power cord (with Baohing wire) seems to be a distinct improvement over a 2m 18AWG Linn Longwell when feeding my distribution block. Due to the shorter length of the Volex I had to move the block around, use a different outlet & reconnect everything, but there's more engagement there with the new power cord. Will see what wife-dem makes of it over the next few days...

Prompted by Sopper's recent clips, next up will be addressing the internal wiring of the distribution block, and trying to find a ready made 2ft 14AWG (Volex?) cord.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Very interesting development here. I'm currently experimenting with a certain type of power strip. Since I own several of them, I converted two. One remained original, another is now connected with a Naim power cable. Another is also modified inside. The brass connections are removed and in their place copper wire, which runs a long way under all the screws, around the last one and on the other side of the screw goes back to the starting point. Thus, two wires are attached under phase and zero. Additionally attached a C14 built-in plug. This way I can test different connection cables. When the time comes, I'll post examples because the strip with the C14 plug is particularly interesting.
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Hi Hermann,

I am already looking forward to the outcome/comparisons.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Maybe worth a try is also a new powerstrip from Chord:

https://chord.co.uk/product/powerhaus-p ... ion-block/

They do not use star-wiring like others but daisy-chain the outlets so the hierarchy of devices is ensured.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677