Akurate DSM modifications

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Diogenes

Akurate DSM modifications

Post by Diogenes »

Have any forum members heard about ADSM modifications done by a Dr. Volk in Germany? I can’t find any information on the web and am interested to know what these modifications are and what effect they have on the performance.

Thanks in advance.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Akurate DSM modifications

Post by Tendaberry »

Yes, I have. There are a number of those out there. Unfortunately I have yet to hear one. But judging by Mr. Volk's views and comments on the improvements, I suspect they aim primarily at "improving the sound" and not the tune.
So beware and do listen before taking such a step or buying one second-hand.
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

You can read more about Dr Gert Volk's modifikations here https://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewforum ... aae18a823a

Apperently, Dr Volk likes to play around with electronic components.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Words can not describe the contempt that I feel for those kinds of modifications.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have not seen any of Mr. Volk's modifications. But there are other such companies in the US doing "upgrades". A number of years ago one such unit, a Linn Ikemi, was brought in to me for service. The idiot who modified it re-installed the transport improperly and it was scraping on the case when it opened and closed. When I took it apart to fix the drawer alignment I saw that there were bunch of "audiophile" caps soldered onto the main board rather poorly. Once I fixed it the unit did play discs without problem but I compared it to a stock Ikemi and felt it was musically distinctly worse. I also informed the customer that the work performed not only voided his warranty but also meant that Linn would not service the unit at all, even out of warranty. Based on my own experience I would give these people a wide berth.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

It's Mods like these that has destroyed the vintage NAIM Chrome & Olive gear reputation IMO. All the so-called "Upgrade" boards for the amps and pre's,, inc. faff rewiring mods and "better" electronic components. I've never heard one of these mods that didn't totally destroyed the tune in one way or another.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Thank You all for your replies.

My Google search did not pick up any German results, so it was very helpful to get the links to Aktives- hoeren. I found some of the threads there quite interesting and informative.
Heretik

Post by Heretik »

Hi, I had a modified Akurate Exact DSM Standard and Modified at home as well as an Klimax DSM. The Exact link was feeding a Akurate Exactbox I with Majik Isobariks. The modifications have destroyed any musical structure. It was very difficult to understand the music. I strongly recommend a to replace the Akurate DSM with Klimax level if you desire a musically improvement. If you like how Linn is presenting music, such modifications are not for you. The Akurate DSM modified by Dr. Gert Volk was more smooth and pleasant in sound, but was not able to transport musical structure. E.g. the Köln Concert by Kieth Jarrett was musical terrible. Very confused. If I understand correct, all the reviews of Volks modified DSs are auditioned in non Linn systems, which may explain the preference for the modified DSMs. If you have questions please let me know.
I love to start the day with a coffee and music with my sneakyDS. ExaktAkubarik for a deeper dive 😊.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Thanks for the feedback, Heretik, and welcome to the forum!
Heretik

Re: Akurate DSM-Änderungen

Post by Heretik »

Thanks for welcoming me
I love to start the day with a coffee and music with my sneakyDS. ExaktAkubarik for a deeper dive 😊.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the first hand report, Heretik and welcome to the forum!

The problem is not that the modified units are auditioned in non-Linn systems, but that the auditioners don’t know how to evaluate the musicality of a HiFi system.
Heretik

Post by Heretik »

Probably right. Sometimes I have the feeling these are two different hobbies. The ones who wanted to be engaged with the music and the others who loved a specific sound. Nothing against a good sound, but what is it worth if it is limiting the the musical massage. For me music first😊👍
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Heretik wrote: 2023-08-08 17:27 Probably right. Sometimes I have the feeling these are two different hobbies. The ones who wanted to be engaged with the music and the others who loved a specific sound. Nothing against a good sound, but what is it worth if it is limiting the the musical massage. For me music first😊👍
Very well said, and welcome! So much of this industry is all about convincing you that this or that sound is impressive or dynamic or powerful without regard as to whether it is musically coherent and enjoyable. These types of modifications are right up there in terms of losing the music in favor of different sound.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.