Post by tokenbrit »

A more engaging than C
Something wrong with B
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Record player for daughter

Post by Spannko »

All three sound fundamentally wrong to me. I’m sure a Rega P2 with a budget AT cartridge would be a much better choice. The Rega’s don’t sound “wrong”, they’re just not as good as an LP12. Charlie1 is our resident budget AT expert and I think he’s had good results with one of the cheaper Rega’s.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I can listen to and enjoy A, I find B quite odd and hard to listen to. I'm not fond of C either, tune and timing both feeling off.

I'd be leery of getting an Axis that doesn't work at 45RPM. Obviously there is a problem in the control/PS board and they are notoriously hard to fix to the point where some good repair people just won't touch them. If 45 is gone 33 may not be far behind. There have been some who fitted a Hercules 2 and made it work but I've heard that the maker of those is no longer trading. I'm not sure about other options.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you guys.
About the system - Linn Axis, Basic Plus, Ortofon VM, Slipsik 7.1, Naim 72, Naim 140 and Keilidh with split K400. The cable between Sklipsik and preamplifier is a Mark Levinson Silver. The last word has not yet been spoken here. The capacitors have been swapped for Dayton Audio types on the Keilidh crossovers, which really opens up the tweeter (Meshtyp).

A - is a Mana table with a wooden top
B - a self-built iron table from 1978
C - Ikea table

A and B with the same wooden panels. Glass under the Axis on A is better than wood.

I agree with you, Spannko, because the recordings were taken too soon after the Axis was put into operation. I actually only noticed it after posting the examples. The temperature in the room was too low (13°C). A warmer environment is necessary for better sound. It took some time due to the size of the room, but then everything fit better. Personally, I give priority to the mana table.

I already have a new ATC95E, but I don't have the routine to install it because I don't have any templates and have only used Linn pickups for years.

Thanks Tom. Maybe it's a bad purchase. On the other hand, in the UK the board is offered for a small price. Or if capacitors need to be replaced, I would be there. The internet doesn't give out many clues.

Apparently the arm is not grounded. For whatever reason, it didn't buzz yesterday after it was set up, and not all day or evening. Today, however, as soon as I touched my arm. A quiet hum can also be heard at any time. If the arm is placed, hum increases significantly. I have to dismantle the record player. Maybe someone has relevant information? I would be grateful for that.
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

As suspected, the arm is not grounded. The tonearm cable does not have a ground wire. It is the ancient cable with a bright angled plug. Where and how is the tonearm grounded? Another cable? This cable used to come with an additional ground wire.

It's actually a bad buy. It probably lost the 45rpm during transport or wherever. The inside of the record player really doesn't look good. The board has a layer of dust on it. And there was hardly any oil in the axle bearing. Anybody know same oil as the LP12?
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hermann wrote: 2023-11-01 10:25 My daughter will hear her Linn Axis for the first time on Saturday.

It was quite cheap and unfortunately doesn't spin at 45rpm. In addition, the anti-scatting appears to be defective, as it immediately sprints to zero with the slightest touch. It is difficult to leave the value at 1.5.

Three examples with different tables. Equipped with a Basis Plus and Ortofon VM, but listen for yourself.
(At the beginning a loud pop can be heard in two recordings. Maybe don't start quite as loudly)

A. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s6G-DB ... sp=sharing

B. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ii_C-n ... sp=sharing

C. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AcT2ok ... sp=sharing
I immediately liked A. Initially, I was drawn even more to B as it seemed to flow better but that soon turned into the runaway train effect that Naim amps sometimes have, so agree with others that A works better overall. Maybe I'd prefer B with a 42.5 or 32.5/110. The 72/140 needed a Hicap to calm it down in my system, but then the timing suffered.

Back on turntables. I still have a P2 with Rega conical cart. It's plug and play, nicely balanced with a more open sound than my Valhalla/Ittok/VM95ML deck, and good fun especially with rock/pop. However, I would expect a well functioning and setup Axis to easily beat it in terms of musical understanding.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2023-11-02 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks, Charlie
I know the Axis from earlier days, although I didn't own one myself. But it has many of the merits of the LP12, which I discovered again with these.

I don't know how to proceed, but the tonearm has to be grounded somehow and that apparently only works via the cable. I'm also not confident about the future of the player, the interior doesn't look very inviting.

I had considered Rega, but the Axis offer came along.

I would need a cable like this and wouldn't know where the ground wire should be connected on the tonearm.

Edit
Problem solved, buyer takes the Axis back. The search continues...
Last edited by Hermann on 2023-11-02 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sent you PM.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Sent you PM with link to cartridge alignment protrator (for printing yourself).
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks to you both, really helpful.

Linn Axis currently seem to have disappeared from the market. Maybe a ProJect Xperience with Ortofon 2MBlue is a good turntable. Just a good offer from a dealer. Does anyone have experience with the project?

Thanks again to the collective intelligence of the forum. On the one hand, I got a very good offer for a Rega P3 with new Rega Carbone MM System, which will be delivered next week. On the other hand, a friendly user sent a link to a very good offer for the Linn Axis. Damn, I'm reeling...
Trust your ears
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

A Rega P3 is currently in the selection. Does the AT95E fit on the RB330? The arm is not height adjustable and I cannot find any information from Rega as to which height is the correct one in relation to the system
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Of course it fits, but you may need to adjust the height of the tonearm using the Rega spacers: https://www.rega.co.uk/accessories/2mm- ... -stainless
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Rega supplies the Planar 2 and 1 with a Rega Carbon cartridge which is basically an AT91 and they don't use spacers on those turntables. So I expect that you won't need one putting a 95e on a Planar 3. If you feel that the top of the cartridge is not parallel to the record surface and is tilted down in the back you can just get one spacer and install it (or have it installed). They aren't very expensive and lift the back of the arm 2mm.

(And, yes, I have torques for these items.)
The LP12 Whisperer
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I'm particularly happy to get young people excited about vinyl. My daughter now has the virus. Her smile when she heard the P3 for the first time spoke volumes. She is also happy with the TT and happy with the entire system. Therefore, a big thank you to the community, especially from my daughter.

An offer from my Linn dealer that was too good convinced her. But also the musicality of the P3, which is just 1 year old. A new Rega Carbon is installed and I'm amazed at how good it sounds. However, the Slipsik 7.1 is likely to play an important role. A 32.5 with 140 in Tukan really sings. At some point the Neo MK2 power supply will power the turntable and later perhaps the Elyse2.

Of course she left my house with an armful of vinyl. But I think this is a “donation” very well spent.
20231113_142423x.jpg
20231113_142400x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Very nice! And the cartridge even matches the colour of the Rega ;-)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Tendaberry wrote: 2023-11-14 10:41 .. the cartridge even matches the colour of the Rega ;-)
Styli-ing :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hijacking your thread somewhat but my youngest wanted a record player again. They go through these phases so glad I've hung onto the P2. This is her second attempt but she's a bit older now(13) so let's see. £150 Arcam Delta 60 warming up OK- I knew a 4140 wouldn't be deep enough...

Certainly won't sound as good as your efforts though Hermann.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Nice system. I think it's important that she listens to vinyl again. Just the way she should like it. And it probably does.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Just a recommendation to be careful when putting a turntable on top of an amplifier. The transformer used in most of these amplifiers generates a substantial magnetic field. If it happens to be on the side where the tonearm is you will likely get some hum injected into the music. Putting them side by side, again with the arm away from the transformer, will cure this. Some spacers between the amp and the turntable can also help.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hermann wrote: 2023-11-15 20:29 Nice system. I think it's important that she listens to vinyl again. Just the way she should like it. And it probably does.
Thanks Hermann. Agree, it has to be what works for them.
ThomasOK wrote: 2023-11-15 23:26 Just a recommendation to be careful when putting a turntable on top of an amplifier. The transformer used in most of these amplifiers generates a substantial magnetic field. If it happens to be on the side where the tonearm is you will likely get some hum injected into the music. Putting them side by side, again with the arm away from the transformer, will cure this. Some spacers between the amp and the turntable can also help.
Thanks Tom. No hum yet but will keep an ear out and check the temperature. No top vents on the amp but there is a rear heat sink.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thomas was kind enough to share the torque values of the Rega P3 including for the carbon system. Thank you very much at this point.

After the appropriate adjustment, it is audible, although my dealer (I bought the record playerfrom him) obviously had a good hand. It was almost just a check as the discrepancies were small.

It put the famous smile on my daughter's face and she said: "It takes me there. That's real music" (Portishead Dummy). She also heard the mat side, which had a better sound.

She currently is browsing through the 80s, Depeche Mode etc... and is fascinated by Sunny Rollins Summertime. Or the voice in Lucia Di Lammermoor part of soundtrack from the 5th Element. Even if this is obviously not entirely human in origin, it still creates an intense experience.

A small and fine stereo system that makes your head swing.
Trust your ears