Linn 50th Anniversary

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Linn 50th Anniversary

Post by ThomasOK »

I figured that we would end up with this topic before long and thought I might as well start it out now.

This is partly because Linn is having a 50th Anniversary bash at the factory on Monday March 27th and I will be going. They only sent out 150 invites to premier dealers around the world. I don't know if anybody else up here is going but if so it would be great to meet you. I'll actually be arriving in the morning on Sunday the 26th so I don't have to attend the party wiped out from the trip. So I'll have a little time to see some sights in Glasgow.

Linn will be making a major new product introduction to the dealers there but we may not be allowed to talk about it right away. The one I am expecting has nothing to do with the LP12. My rep has not heard anything about new LP12 oriented items but they may not tell him. Gilad stated that they were "hoping to introduce a very special LP12 upgrade" for the 50th anniversary year but wouldn't say more in a video about the new Selekt models. He noted that they had come out with about 6 LP12 upgrades in the last three years so you could see the flow of things. (Actually 7: Karousel, Krane, Radikal 2, Ekstatik, Arko, Kendo and Koil). He said that he couldn't promise two upgrades a year but that they did plan to have upgrades for LP12 every year. I know that Linn several years back put more funding into the LP12 division as they realized every time they came out with an upgrade they sold a bunch and often sold other parts along with them. That plus the increasing sales of turntables put a spotlight back on vinyl replay. I'm hoping I'll hear about what is going on in that area at the event but I probably won't be able to talk about it either.

Linn will be having a room at Axpona for the first time and it is hoped that they will be showing off something new there. Also it is pretty certain that there with be a special 50th anniversary edition LP12 and that it will be accompanied by a bottle of 50 year old whiskey from a different distillery than last time. I've been told there will be no repeat of the whiskey barrel oak plinth so I have no idea of what they will do to make this LP12 special. They can't really do the Cerulean Blue finish they did for the 40th anniversary as you can now get any color you want. We will just have to wait and see what makes this one different.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn 50th Anniversary

Post by Hermann »

A report would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for the insight.
I had talked to my dealer last Monday about Linn's 50th anniversary. I asked to what extent he knew something about a new arm. His answer, it is conceivable, the Ekos is already quite old. Other ranges would be hardly conceivable, since the Klimax version is the perfect music machine already now. Nevertheless, he expects an innovation for the LP12.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hermann wrote: 2023-02-16 21:11 A report would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for the insight.
I had talked to my dealer last Monday about Linn's 50th anniversary. I asked to what extent he knew something about a new arm. His answer, it is conceivable, the Ekos is already quite old. Other ranges would be hardly conceivable, since the Klimax version is the perfect music machine already now. Nevertheless, he expects an innovation for the LP12.
I think sooner or later an Ekos SE replacement will happen but everything is very vague. Someone from Linn will say it is not happening this year, someone else will say it might be possible, another will say they are looking at it but it is probably a year or two off, maybe more. What we do know is that they have a new, younger head of mechanical design and he is responsible for the Arko, which I haven't heard yet but have heard good reports about. It took a very long time for Linn to replace the Akito but the Arko shows signs that they are looking at better ways to do things (not the least of which is that it appears it will work on a Keel). The Ekos SE/1 is a really fine arm so they will have their work cut out for them.
The LP12 Whisperer
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I briefly had the opportunity to hear the Arko with Koil and smaller Linn speakers at said dealer. The speakers I think were 242.

Friday Night in San Francisco had good dynamics, space and showed musical approaches. Since all setups heard at his place so far sounded rather boring, except for the Ekstatik demo, I had the impression the Select Combo transfer some musical pleasure. But maybe I'm too spoiled and it was more than my ears allowed. A positive change from previous listening experiences was present in any case.

I do not know the Arko share to assess, nor do I know the pickup and still believe with Akubarik it would sound much better, since this can reproduce a good musicality from home.

It would indeed be conceivable that Linn develops the concept of the Arko into the upper league. To what extent would it then still be affordable?
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Although I'm off the modern LP12 wagon, it's always very interesting to learn about their latest developments, so look forward to reading about it when the times comes.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

It appears Linn is going all B&W-y:

That's a familiar looking ponytail:

(photos care of Nigel Moore via the Linn Owner's Group on Facebook)
Nature

Post by Nature »

They look terrible.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Terrible and insanely priced
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

It doesn't look good to me, but doesn't look particularly bad either - just another OK-looking big speaker. Shame they've had to drop wood finishes as I think that makes a big difference.

All the high-end Linn/Naim stuff (and Lejonklou Singularity) are well beyond my means so I don't really worry about the prices.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

With it looking like a mix between a Magico and a Sonus Faber it doesn't have much of an identity.
I still wish the best for Linn and hoping it sounds really good and becomes a smashing success.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

It looks like the machined alloy face plate is purely aesthetic. The cabinet material looks interesting though.

AEF2D17D-1910-4D94-8530-5A3ADDB52D2B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

When will we find out about any LP12 upgrades for the 50th Anniversary?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I'm not sure there are any - certainly nothing leaked out onto forums.
matss

Post by matss »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-03-28 14:13 I'm not sure there are any - certainly nothing leaked out onto forums.
Pretty sure we can guess there will be more to come from Linn this year. Seems strange to me otherwise, to ship dealers from all over the world to Glasgow ONLY to present the 360?? Strict NDA though, and maybe the 360 release is a "smoke" strategy not to receive too much speculation around the full content of the dealer conference.
KLP12, KDSM/2, 3xKCT, homebrewn active speakers, Sneaky DS, OD11, Axis, Linto, Classik, Klout, OA12
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Tom mentioned earlier that Linn will be at the Axpona show in April and might reveal there.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

John wrote: 2023-03-28 14:02 When will we find out about any LP12 upgrades for the 50th Anniversary?
Linn did not mention anything about LP12 upgrades for the 50th anniversary. They showed us a new speaker, which we aren't supposed to talk about until April 21st, so of course it is all over the net. I met the new head of mechanical engineering at Linn who is responsible for the Arko tonearm and likely the newer cartridges. It was difficult to pry anything out about planned or even considered upgrades. There is pretty strong indication that there will be no new Ekos SE version or replacement this year and it didn't sound like we can look forward to something like this very soon. It also appears the Keel will remain the same. They did say that there will be a number of LP12 upgrades coming over the next several years so I am having a hard time figuring out what they intend.

There will be a limited edition 50th anniversary LP12 but we were all told that it is super secret and will not be unveiled until June. We also didn't get to see one but were given a brief video preview. Gilad said they had something special in mind and I agree but I can't say any more.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote: 2023-03-28 13:05 It looks like the machined alloy face plate is purely aesthetic. The cabinet material looks interesting though.
Not purely aesthetic, it does also act as a waveguide to help control the dispersion of the drivers. The cabinet is made of cut and formed plywood with some metal bracing behind the drivers that they bolt into.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matteo wrote: 2023-03-28 09:14 Terrible and insanely priced
I would never put something like that in my living room, the 3677s fit much better.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

John wrote: 2023-03-29 10:41 Tom mentioned earlier that Linn will be at the Axpona show in April and might reveal there.
They will be at High End Munich in May as well.......
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Linn seem to have largely abandoned the utilitarian ethos of "form follows function", where the function is solely "play the tune", at least in the external presentation of their kit.

I wonder what their pricing could be if they stopped producing hifi jewelry but retained the musicality?

The sight of the Linn logo on the tweeter made me wonder ....

Perhaps tho, the costs would not reduce enough to increase their demographic sufficiently to increase profitability. I can believe that creating sculptures for mansions (an English word derived from the French 'maison' and now associated exclusively with expensive homes as a result of the Norman occupation that eliminated the conquered Saxon ruling class) can associate the Linn brand with wealth and aspiration, as well as being more individually profitable than cheaper kit.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linn would (and will) argue that the form of the speaker was specifically created to provide the function they were going for with their design. The shape of the cabinet was made to create a wide and even dispersion across all frequencies and to minimize diffraction effects. Not new ideas, hence the similarities to what some other companies have done. The aluminum piece covering the three upper drivers acts as a wave guide for the tweeter and midrange also managing their dispersion. Whether that all creates a highly musical speaker will be up to the listener to decide but there are reasons for why they designed it the way they did and not just for a specific appearance. The logo over the tweeter is a little kitschy but a grill is needed over the tweeter since the dome is beryllium and hence toxic (although I've heard conflicting stories about how likely a tweeter dome is to harm you if you don't swallow it whole). But it is an interesting touch and one that likely costs very little in the scope of the entire speaker.

The real question comes down to how well they have been able to integrate those disparate drivers and is the musical perfromance truly stunning such as to make you feel they are worth their estimable price.
The LP12 Whisperer
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

What drivers are they using in their latest speakers?
My understanding is that Linn don't make their own drivers.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

They are European sourced, so far it hasn't been revealed (officially anyway) from which supplier/s. Pretty sure they aren't standard issue, but adapted to Linn's specifications. The mid driver has some resemblance to some of PMC's drivers, let's see if it will be revealed, when the 360's are officially available.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I was told by one of the people who showed us how they build the 360s that the midbass and bass drivers were made by SEAS. I'm not sure if the midrange and tweeter are as well, the way he said it left that a bit vague. Before the event I heard rumors that Linn were going to be making their own drivers. Apparently that rumor hit other people as they mentioned it during the technical briefing. They said that Linn doesn't make things that they feel others can make better (I imagine it would take a lot of work to tool up and learn all that is involved with driver manufacture). The drivers are manufactured in Europe and they are made to their design and specifications. They also said nobody else is allowed to buy these drivers, they are exclusive to Linn.
The LP12 Whisperer
andy2

Post by andy2 »

The basss drivers are tweaked Seas XM011-08 L22ROY2 newly developed by a team under Håvard Sollien, head of R&D. Don't know what model number the 6" low/mid is but it's also Seas Fabrikker as you clearly could tell from the distinctive cast ( Swedish sourced) alu chassis when they demonstrated their fancy mounting jig at Linn. Seas will do this for most OEM:s so nothing special there. Seas has a long association with Linn and the ceo has a full Linn system at home; 35 of its staff visited Linn in 2010 as a special company event. Seas also has a very advanced lab for speaker testing including a Klippel analyzer and one of the worlds largest anechoic chambers, Linn are no strangers there either:)