Tukan Setup

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Tukan Setup

Post by Charlie1 »

I can't seem to find Kan satisfaction so gonna properly setup the Tukans (on Kan 2 stands)

Any tips from members that can remember back that far?

They don't like being hard against the rear wall but that's all I know so far. I assume a similar distance apart to the Kans will work best but perhaps that's a bad assumption.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tukan Setup

Post by Charlie1 »

Well I'm pretty happy with my first attempt. They are just lined up with where the Kans were for now.

I relied on the phone each time which I think is much better for me. My musical memory isn't very reliable, even with just a few minutes gap.

There's a shower pump in the background - nothing untoward in the system...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqc491f4z0t97 ... 7.mp4?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Tukans are just musical and you can do whatever you like with them………. They are still musical. :-)

To me your clip sounds musical and well balanced. I enjoy it.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

They didn't sound too great where the Kans were, but yeah, they don't sound bad in any of the positions really, just more like a HiFi than real people.
rootola

Post by rootola »

I used to find an extra 5 - 15 cm over the Kans from the back wall just to tune the bass / rear port. (Kans a few cm more than the speaker cable connectors)

I found going aktiv (with Klouts at the time) a monstrous upgrade over bi-amping. Otherwise, a bit of give and take over Kans.

Still have a pair with later tweeter (previously belonged to Flatcoat) and Kans of course..
KDSM Organik Slim - Solo - Ninka
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanjs rootola. They're 7.5cm away at the moment following some help from another member via pm, so a bit less than what you're proposing. Perhaps there's another peak slightly further out. I will investigate.

Ps Solos into Ninkas - Now that's a setup I'd like to hear!
rootola

Post by rootola »

5 - 8cm was roughly what I used with Kans in the past.

I found with Tukan, increasing the gap was a simple trade off between the increased focus with lighter bass and the more pronounced bass but undefined close to the wall.

I found they never clicked in an obvious way like Ninka's do when placed 'correctly' - or Kans. It was more just finding the best compromise.

Personally, I like a touch of toe-in too.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks!
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

In smaller rooms I don't know how to give a hint, but in larger ones I do. See pictures, the Tukan (over 20 years ago) really played so well that two friends spontaneously bought a small Naim system with Tukan. The room size was around 200qm with a height that was actually not very suitable for such small speakers. The distance to the back wall was necessary to control the bass. I don't remember exactly how far away they were but right up against they didn't played very well. Perhaps it is visible, they are a little angled. System was 72/Hicap/135/CD3/NAT3/NACA5.

I own a beautiful and well preserved pair of Tukan since a couple of weeks. They are still unplayed, but already checked, cleaned and provided with torques. Coming days then finally first listening pleasure and this room is again quite large and high. The Keiligh does really well in it, though.

04040034.JPG
04040030.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Herman! Nice to see some old setup pics. I will take on board your suggestions.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

By the way, I don't think much of the Linn bridges on the connector panel. They are removed and replaced with copper wires. If I remember correctly it was 2.5qmm, which I had bent to shape. Maybe that helps. It is always worth a test.

I had also tried adapters for 2 way speakers from Phonosphie. Interestingly, they were better with Keiligh than original or the self-made copper bridges.

https://www.hifi-zubehoer.shop/phonosop ... -33601.htm
Trust your ears
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Herman. I had to donate my bridges to some Kan 2s I was selling so they are copper wire anyway, although not sure what diameter it is. Thanks for the link. I'll leave them as-is for now but if the Tukans are keepers then I will investigate further.
rootola

Post by rootola »

That's a cool room.

I can understand dialling in the bass being an interesting job with the nice clear wall behind them.

Glad you are enjoying them.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you rootola

It's been a long time and a great memory. The Tukan filled the whole room with music and were perfectly controlled by Naim's 72/Hicap/135. I had a short test with a LP12/EkosII/Arkiv/Naim Prefix/Hicap later, which just left the second of my friend to buy a small Naim system with Tukans.

My Isobarik was later in the room, but not in the area shown. That was a completely different league. In the meantime, it is "only" the second best stereo system ever heard.

Until recently I had trouble reproducing the musical quality and presentation in the current room. In fact, it has gotten significantly better. The Tukan is also tested with Fredrik's system. I am most excited looking forward to that.

Today, I would recommend the Tukan with olive Naim to anyone who wants a musically good system for little money. The placement can be critical, yet it plays very well at my daughter in a rear open shelf with 32.5/140 and BT receiver. Why it fits there under these circumstances, I do not know. And they were previously on Kan stands that now support my JBL 308.

Unfortunately, my recent experience with the Tukan is delayed until next week, but I look forward to it and will post a video.
Trust your ears