Video about 10 iconic turntables.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Video about 10 iconic turntables.

Post by Charlie1 »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-12-16 06:50None of this stuff can be evaluated in a Youtube video, you of all people should know this.
Thomas wasn't suggesting that though, as far as I read it anyway.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I watched the P10 video by coincidence yesterday and found this thread today, and come on... This thread is not about anyone getting threatened by regas new tech to outshine the LP12. It's just that this has not happened and the video is well made but says almost nothing you can't find on the rega website. Since the moment of his analogy about a vintage car and the LP12 it was over for me, he did not consider the LP12 seriously enough to get to know it obviously. The whole 'why P10' after that builds on much too limited actual understanding. He might very well have bought the understanding too, same price, from rega, as Thomas mentioned.

What I was thinking when I saw the video was that Linn LP12 might actually be balancing a very good weight, not having too much mass or having too little mass. I was not impressed musically by the P10 myself in comparison to my LP12 with the same cartridge. The P8 is a more reasonable buy imho since it actually gets you a lot of music for your money, suitable to kick-ass with low-cost MM's in a source-first approach. Anything above that If you want something better, start build your LP12, it's a shame you are so dependent on your Linn dealer for set-up though, if you don't have one good I mean. I actually suggest you learn to set-up your own LP12 to perfection, with time it gets better.
the players of instruments shall be there..
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Efraim roots wrote: 2022-12-16 13:19 I actually suggest you learn to set-up your own LP12 to perfection, with time it gets better.
That’s a great idea for a forum section ER! A simple guide to setting up classic LP12’s for those who want to experiment and keep costs down.

There’s a company selling turntable jigs on eBay for £45. They’re consistently selling about 1/week, so there’s quite a few people interested in setting up their own turntables, and after all, it’s not rocket science!
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I love that idea too! I remember that I started myself with a ebay rig (good enough still) and studying the set up thread started by Peter Cymbiosis (don't remember the forum, maybe linn?) and adding torque technique of this parish. We would benefit from fast and easy picture/video posts on this forum, don't you think?
the players of instruments shall be there..
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Yes, definitely. It would be a really valuable resource, helping to ensure that diy’ers extract the greatest musicality from the old fruit box!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-12-16 11:29
tpetsch wrote: 2022-12-16 06:50None of this stuff can be evaluated in a Youtube video, you of all people should know this.
From the last couple of posts it appears that tpetsch is getting good at reading things into my posts that aren't actually there!

I had absolutely no interest, mentioned or otherwise, in hearing turntable comparison clips from his system on YouTube. Too many uncontrolled variables to make it worthwhile. What I had hoped for was a rational explanation of his time spent comparing whichever turntables he considered as possibilities and a description of what he heard that influenced his decision. As I mentioned, what we got instead reads more like a Rega white paper - with errors. The only comparison he talks about making is between the Planar 8 and the Planar 10 at Rega and, surprise, surprise, the Planar 10 was better.

As mentioned by several, he used a method of choosing a turntable to show off his speakers that pretty much nobody on here feels is a good way to do it. It is a shame that someone in the industry doesn't know better.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2022-12-16 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-12-16 17:25
From the last couple of post it appears that tpetsch is getting good at reading things into my posts that aren't actually there!

I had absolutely no interest, mentioned or otherwise, in hearing turntable comparison clips from his system on YouTube. Too many uncontrolled variables to make it worthwhile. What I had hoped for was a rational explanation of his time spent comparing whichever turntables he considered as possibilities and a description of what he heard that influenced his decision. As I mentioned, what we got instead reads more like a Rega white paper - with errors. The only comparison he talks about making is between the Planar 8 and the Planar 10 at Rega and, surprise, surprise, the Planar 10 was better.

As mentioned by several, he used a method of choosing a turntable to show off his speakers that pretty much nobody on here feels is a good way to do it. It is a shame that someone in the industry doesn't know better.
That's the main reason I got bored of his 2nd video. It was too much of an advertorial for the Rega 10.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I think it’s called something like “gorilla marketing”; ie discuss an internationally respected product or company in glowing terms whilst subliminally introducing his loudspeaker’s to an audience which he wouldn’t normally be able to reach, with the intention of creating a quality association between Rega Research and Pearl Acoustics.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

More recent Rega "Kool-Aid" I saw over on PF if any of you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNyoQKAs4E&t=114s
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-12-16 20:34 More recent Rega "Kool-Aid" I saw over on PF if any of you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNyoQKAs4E&t=114s
Roy mentions a new production model of the Naiad that I understand is coming out next year. He said it will perform as well as the Naiad for a much reduced cost. Looking forward to more information on that model which will be called Naia. Pass me the Kool-Aid.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Spannko wrote: 2022-12-16 17:57 I think it’s called something like “gorilla marketing”; ie discuss an internationally respected product or company in glowing terms whilst subliminally introducing his loudspeaker’s to an audience which he wouldn’t normally be able to reach, with the intention of creating a quality association between Rega Research and Pearl Acoustics.
I think you're referring to guerilla marketing...
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-12-17 10:57
Spannko wrote: 2022-12-16 17:57 I think it’s called something like “gorilla marketing”; ie discuss an internationally respected product or company in glowing terms whilst subliminally introducing his loudspeaker’s to an audience which he wouldn’t normally be able to reach, with the intention of creating a quality association between Rega Research and Pearl Acoustics.
I think you're referring to guerilla marketing...
Ha ha! 😂🤣😂 Yes, gorilla marketing is highly frowned upon and somewhat illegal!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have heard that they are working on another turntable using more of the Naiad design. Interesting to hear it has a name as I heard it referred to as the Planar 12. I think they were looking in the $20,000 to $25,000 range. It should be interesting. Now the Naiad is something I'd be very interested to hear but there isn't much opportunity for that.

No gorillas were harmed in the production of this post.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Don’t quote me but I heard around £9K for the Naia, also heard there will be a pre-production model at The Bristol Show with full release in early summer. At that price I would hold off on any LP12 SE upgrades.
Last edited by John on 2022-12-17 18:03, edited 4 times in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-12-16 17:25
From the last couple of posts it appears that tpetsch is getting good at reading things into my posts that aren't actually there!

He presents well but i agree that it was all pretty pointless, esp including decks he'd never even heard in that first video. Its like saying, 'one of my favourite holiday destinations is X. - no, I've not been there yet but a lot of people like it and I've seen the photos.'
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-12-17 17:43
He presents well but i agree that it was all pretty pointless, esp including decks he'd never even heard in that first video. Its like saying, 'one of my favourite holiday destinations is X. - no, I've not been there yet but a lot of people like it and I've seen the photos.'
It's a long video Charlie but I think it has more of the "why" substance -from Roy himself- people are looking for. I found it to be very informative and enjoyable, I think even Frederik could relate to the first half where Roy talks about his start & early days, very detailed for a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNyoQKAs4E&t=105s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I met Roy once, I think it was in 1990. He was an inspiring high energy guy, that’s for sure. He arranged a blind (single blind, he played on the decks behind a screen) demo of Planar 3 versus Linn Axis. He was very annoyed when Axis got nearly all the votes.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-12-17 21:04 I met Roy once, I think it was in 1990. He was an inspiring high energy guy, that’s for sure. He arranged a blind (single blind, he played on the decks behind a screen) demo of Planar 3 versus Linn Axis. He was very annoyed when Axis got nearly all the votes.
Yes, the proof is always in the listening. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

That's the reason my first turntable was an Axis!
When demoed I got to compare it to a Planar 3, and it didn't take long to decide.
The turntable pecking order in the 80s were a Dual (can't remember the model, sorry), the Planar 3, then the Axis and lastly the LP12.
I do remember each step up was almost exactly twice the price of the one below it. The Dual was set at 1500 SEK
and up at the top the LP12 costed 12000 SEK.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-12-17 21:04 I met Roy once, I think it was in 1990. He was an inspiring high energy guy, that’s for sure. He arranged a blind (single blind, he played on the decks behind a screen) demo of Planar 3 versus Linn Axis. He was very annoyed when Axis got nearly all the votes.
Funny, just like when a member hear posts an A/B in the Playground and many reply with different opinions yet everyone's opinion is a valid one. Wonder if you would still make the same choice 33 years later knowing what you know now? Impossible to know really. Anyway, the Axis was a near total failure for Linn, I think we sold a total of 4 at the shop & the Planar 3 went on to be one of the best selling turntables in history and is still a top seller today, 33 years later.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Now, now, gentlemen. This is hifi, not religion. Oh, wait ……………
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-12-18 04:43
Funny, just like when a member hear posts an A/B in the Playground and many reply with different opinions yet everyone's opinion is a valid one. Wonder if you would still make the same choice 33 years later knowing what you know now? Impossible to know really. Anyway, the Axis was a near total failure for Linn, I think we sold a total of 4 at the shop & the Planar 3 went on to be one of the best selling turntables in history and is still a top seller today, 33 years later.
Axis/LVX vs Rega Planar3/RB300, which did you find more tuneful?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-12-18 04:43 Wonder if you would still make the same choice 33 years later knowing what you know now?
The Axis was just better, which we all heard. I don’t know what kind of knowledge would change that.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

There was a time when the Rega Planar 3 was so much better than any other turntable, up to an LP12, I seriously queried Linn’s logic for introducing the Axis. There didn’t seem to be the musical space to squeeze another turntable in. How wrong was I!!! Not only was the Axis more musical than the RP3, the gap between the RP3 and Axis was bigger than the gap between the Axis and the LP12, and yet compared to an LP12, the Axis was clearly left wanting. Hifi: it’s a funny old game!
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

I just read the whole thread and the two video’s. I think a useful TT introduction. But narrowing the discussion to a combat between LP12 and Planar 10 makes me boring and sad a little. It’s not about music and musicality but seems to end up just in an ideological one. The thread alienate from music itself and from the integrated balanced audio setup we all try to optimize, wether there is a Linn, Rega, Thorens, Garrard, Lenco TT in it. Beware of your own blind spot in this discussion, driven by marketing, business, commerce or just sincere belief. Just trust (not biased) your own ears. And remember, in the end your experience might be that more ‘diamonds will be shining, no longer in the rough’.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility