Linn Trikan faulty driver - repairable?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

moog_man

Linn Trikan faulty driver - repairable?

Post by moog_man »

Hello, music enthusiasts

I recently snagged a pair of Linn Trikan speakers in an auction. They were delivered and, unfortunately one of the mid/ bass drivers appears to be faulty. My questions are:
  • Is there a way to remove the external grill so that I can get a better look at the driver?
  • I'll assume that they are no longer serviced by Linn, but does anyone know if the driver can be purchased individually and, crucially, replaced into the existing Trikan cabinet? It looks like access would be via the speaker input panel which is at the other end of the cabinet to the faulty driver.
  • Separately, I have a 5125 with active cards for Linn Katan speakers - could they be used for the Trikan as well? According to Linn docs, the Katan mid driver is 125mm, the Trikan mid driver is 130mm. Both speakers have a 19mm treble driver.
Your insights appreciated, thank you
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
moog_man

Re: Linn Trikan faulty driver - repairable?

Post by moog_man »

fao: forum moderator
Please feel free to move this thread to the 'Inside' board, if appropriate. Haven't been on here for a long time and was unaware of the additional board. Thanks
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

moog_man wrote: 2022-11-04 23:39
  • Is there a way to remove the external grill so that I can get a better look at the driver?
I have Espeks, and I think the surround is very similar. Gently insert a thin stiff lever (eg the tip of a blunt table knife) and pop the surround off. It is held by on by a recessed groove around the driver opening circumference.

The grill just lifts off once the rubber surround is removed.

Somewhere on the forum is a thread regarding torques for the screws that hold the drivers.

According to my notes I torqued the mids to 1.2nm+1 and the tweeters to 0.4nm+0
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

springwood64 wrote: 2022-11-05 08:38
moog_man wrote: 2022-11-04 23:39
I have Espeks, and I think the surround is very similar. Gently insert a thin stiff lever (eg the tip of a blunt table knife) and pop the surround off. It is held by on by a recessed groove around the driver opening circumference.

The grill just lifts off once the rubber surround is removed.

Somewhere on the forum is a thread regarding torques for the screws that hold the drivers.

According to my notes I torqued the mids to 1.2nm+1 and the tweeters to 0.4nm+0
Much appreciated, springwood - the grille was easily removed and I can now see that the driver can potentially be replaced externally.

Here is a pic of the damaged unit.
If anyone knows whether they can be replaced, that would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I have replaced a blown Espek tweeter, so all you need is to get a replacement. A competent electronics engineer can replace it.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The mid/bass driver for the Katan/Espek/Trikan is still available from Linn according to the 2022 spare parts list. The part number is SPKR 039/1 and it runs about $115 in the US. Your Linn dealer can order it for you. It includes a replacement grill and trim ring. Installation is pretty straightforward and requires somebody who knows their way around a soldering iron. The sound will be improved if all the drivers are precisely torqued but that requires the right torque driver and tips.

As to Aktiv operation the Trikan uses different cards to those used for the Katan according to the Linn Aktiv card selektor. This is to be expected as the dual mid/bass units and larger cabinet likely cause differences in the best crossover settings.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-11-05 20:36 The mid/bass driver for the Katan/Espek/Trikan is still available from Linn according to the 2022 spare parts list. The part number is SPKR 039/1 and it runs about $115 in the US. Your Linn dealer can order it for you. It includes a replacement grill and trim ring. Installation is pretty straightforward and requires somebody who knows their way around a soldering iron. The sound will be improved if all the drivers are precisely torqued but that requires the right torque driver and tips.

As to Aktiv operation the Trikan uses different cards to those used for the Katan according to the Linn Aktiv card selektor. This is to be expected as the dual mid/bass units and larger cabinet likely cause differences in the best crossover settings.
That's excellent news about the drivers still being available, thank you for taking the time to inform us, TO'K.

Case closed.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

PM me, I have used drivers if you are interested.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.