Post by RonnyO. »

Hello All!

I own the following components:
Akurate DSM
Akurate Exaktbox 10
2 x AV5125
Espek (Exakt driven)

Upgrade possibilities:
1.) I would have the option to go from the Espeks to Majik Isobariks, where I have to say that my Espeks sound quite will since the steel shot/resin base upgrade and the latest Space Optimization.

2.) Keep the Espeks and trade in all my boxes to get a Selekt DSM with 3 stereo power amp stages and drive my Espeks from there.

Which way would you go?

Br,
RonnyO.
Think, it's not illegal yet!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Akurate DSM / Exakbox 10 - Upgrade path

Post by Spannko »

Are those the only two options you’re prepared to consider?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

3) Sell all the electronics, go passive, upgrade to Kalla and Boazu (or other Lejonklou amplifiers, dependent on budget).
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

Spannko wrote: 2022-10-23 18:43 Are those the only two options you’re prepared to consider?
No, these are two options, if you have any further let me know.

Br,
RonnyO,
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

David Neel wrote: 2022-10-23 18:58 3) Sell all the electronics, go passive, upgrade to Kalla and Boazu (or other Lejonklou amplifiers, dependent on budget).
Might be a good option, but neither do I have a price for these, nor do I have a dealer in my country. So I feel my options are being cut in these regards.

Br,
RonnyO.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

OK, in that case then:

Option 1: Espek >>> Majik Isobarik’s.
Personally, I’d see this roughly as a sidestep, so I’d keep the Espek’s. I’ve owned the model previous to the Espek (AV5140) and the Majik Isobarik’s, and in musical terms there’s not too much between them. The Espek’s are better than the 5140’s and were used by Linn’s record company to check the quality of the recordings.

Option 2: ADSM/AE10/AV5125 >>> SDSM/3xAmp Modules.
In the grand scheme of things, and even though you don’t specify the DAC you’d fit, I’d see this roughly as a sidestep too.

Option 3 (David Neel’s suggestion): This is an excellent idea. Why? Well, the Källa is an incredibly musical streamer and very much more enjoyable to listen to than a Klimax DS/2, for example. The Katalyst upgrade improves the KDS by quite a margin, but it’s still not up to the standard of the Källa. The source sets the scene for the overall musical performance, so getting the most musical source you can get within your budget is vitally important. Secondly, the Boazu is an incredibly enjoyable amplifier and drives difficult speakers better than my Klimax Twin could manage.

Option 4: There isn’t an option 4, but as a generalisation I’d say keep your Espek’s and drive them passively with just two Chanel’s of amplification. Then get the best streamer within your budget.

The Selekt DSM now starts at either €6000 or €12000 (excluding dac and amplifier modules). The Katalyst dac is €1800 and the Organik dac is either €3900 or €6700. The power amp module is €1000. So the cheapest combination is €8800. The Boazu/Källa combination is €8850. For me, and after owning quite a bit of Linn’s more expensive ranges, I’d definitely second the recommendation for the Lejonklou combination.
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

Thanks a lot Spannko!

These are quite some options to consider and many thanks regarding your feedback concerning Linn options. I might really think about Lenjonklou options.

Question regarding Lejonklou options is just the question where I could buy them here in Austria… any ideas would be welcome.

Br,
RonnyO.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

You're in the EU so I would have thought you can order from any EU country that does online orders, but probably best to ask Marco (Hexagon) as he handles distribution. I think he may also sell direct to EU countries that don't have an in-country dealer. Or perhaps a trip over the border to Germany?

There is something very special about the Kalla with Lejonklou amplification. I've heard Organik Linn at my dealer's a few times but it's hard to draw firm conclusions from different listening rooms / situations. However, my gut feeling is that the Kalla is more involving.

It's your ears though and a big investment so perhaps try to compare yourself. Even if the Linn option is not exactly what you're looking to purchase, you'll be able to get a good feeling for how they differ.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi RonnyO,

If you're interested in Källa and Boazu then you may contact us either by mail or telephone.
No problem to speak German.

Alles Gute und herzlichen Grüss aus Amsterdam,

Marco
Hexagon Audio
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

Thank You!

Will do if I have made up my mind.

Br,
Roland
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Hi, having owned and owning some of the equipment you mention I'd rater propose:

1) Sell the ADSM and buy a 2nd hand Selekt DSM. Way more engaging as a Hub. There will be some Ex demo versions now due to the just released version with new PSU.
I've done this test in my system and the Akurate Exakt DSM is flat and hi-fisounding compared to the Selekt. Did the same demo at a friends Exakt Akubarik.

2) Swap the Espek to MISO. Having had a set of AV5140 which had been converted to Espek there is really now comparison. The Espek is fun for small money. Miso benefit hugly from being Exakt (or active). Remember to carefully check the torque setting for the bas/mid driver as tightening up is beneficial but don's overdo it as the screes may loosen.

Regards
Øyvind I
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

Thank you for your feedback, this is an option that I did not yet consider!

I thought that mainly the Class D amps in the Selekt would be superior to the AV5125. But exchanging AKDSM to Selekt and Espek to MISO is also something to think about.

I will give the Selekt a try with my local Linn dealer and than let‘s see where it takes me.

Br,
RonnyO.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Klimax EDSMs / System Hubs are now very good VFM.
You don't mentiom the DACs in your AEB10 - if not katalyst then that's an option.
Your source material is not mentioned. If you have a NAS see if Minim Server will run on it. If you're using Tidal, give Qobuz a try.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.