Very active member

Linn announcement 11.10.22

Post by Matteo »

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn announcement 11.10.22

Post by ThomasOK »

Yep, on Tuesday there will be some new Linn products to select from.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

To Selekt?

;-)
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Oh, look. A new Ku-Stone base!
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

That's utopik thinking...
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-10-11 10:48 That's utopik thinking...
That's a powerful statement.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

https://www.linn.co.uk/network-music-players/selekt-dsm

So, new Selekt enclosure (it's seems with headphones out), double Organik upgrade (stereo or dual mono), and new Utopik power supply.
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

Akurate DS and DSM are now history. Selekt takes over.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

There are two main parts to the launch. There is a new chassis called the Selekt Edition that is a step between the KDSM/3 and the original Selekt (now called Selekt Classic and still in the line). Both units will just say Linn Selekt on the front which they liken to all LP12s saying Linn Sondek LP12 on the armboard.

Selekt Edition has machined from casting (not solid billet) pieces to the casework. 8mm thick top and bottom with nice bevelled edge on top and 5mm thick side panels. The Selekt Edition does feature dual subwoofer outputs for stereo usage and a headphone output on the left side at the front. Other than that electronically they seem to be the same, at least when Linn was asked about the expected improvements all they talked about was the improved structural integrity and it's upgrade to the sound.

Besides the casework it has an improved knob with smoother bearing and a fancier look (a ss trim ring inside), improved preset buttons with a better feel and a better display and front glass. Overall it appears that the look and feel is much closer to the KDSM/3, but with it’s own unique machining to the top panel.

The other change is the Organik DACs. Here there is more than meets the eye. There is a stereo Organik DAC cartridge that fits on the same boards that standard and Katalyst DAC cards fit on (both of which are still available). So you can even upgrade 5.1 setups with Organik. However, if you want to do that you have to replace all 3 DAC cards with Organik as Organik and the others cannot be used together (unlike Katalyst and standard that can be mixed). In addition there are now mono line out boards and mono Organik DAC boards that can be used for the highest performance. The mono Organik DACs and matching boards are only sold in pairs and cannot be used with any other boards in the chassis - so only for the highest perfromance Selekt stereo streamer/DAC units.

There is also a new power supply in both Selekt units going forward called the Utopik. It is their latest generation SMPS and said to be a significant upgrade over Dynamik. Linn are not making a big deal about it now as they don't yet have versions ready to roll out across the line. I expect it will gradually start going into other models and Linn will have a major rollout sometime in 2023 when they are ready to have it across the full line and are ready to start selling upgrade kits for older units.

So now to pricing (all US):
$12,940 Selekt Edition System Hub (no DACs)
$6370 Selekt Classic System Hub (no DACs) - an increase of $1170 from the last price sheet
$4225 Stereo Organik DAC
$7150 Mono Organik DAC sold as pair (I believe priced that way)
$1950 Mono line out cartridge sold as pair
$598 Stereo line out cartridge sold as pair
All the other modules and DACs have gone up as well.

So the top Selekt Edition stereo unit with the mono Organik DACs is $22,040 - very close to the KDSM with Katalyst price which Linn says this will outperform. They did not say how it would compare to a Klimax DS/DSM upgraded to Organik.

Selekt Classic stereo unit with the stereo Organik DAC is $11,193.

However, those prices are only when buying a chassis and the items together. Upgrading an existing Selekt unit to Orgaink is $5280, and the Mono cards and Organik DACs could also be fitted for a cool $11,380! One final note is that all Selekt units shipping now are AirPlay2 capable. Older ones are original AirPlay compatible and it doesn't seem that they are upgradeable for that capability.

Along with these announcements, all Akurate streamers and crossovers are discontinued. Akurate DS, DSM, System Hub, ExaktBox 6 and Exaktbox 10. The Exaktbox-I and the power amps remain in the line and the Akurate casework for the Uphorik and standard Radikal remain. Don't be surprised if the Akurate name disappears from the Exaktbox-I and the amps and just the rest of the name is left on the front panels. There will be generous trade-ins available for the discontinued units toward Organik Selekt units (or Klimax Exaktboxes).
The LP12 Whisperer
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Thanks Thomas

I wonder if the Utopik will be available for all the Linn products (Akurate, Majik, Radikal …)

M
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Matteo wrote: 2022-10-11 21:14 Thanks Thomas

I wonder if the Utopik will be available for all the Linn products (Akurate, Majik, Radikal …)

M
I expect so. I know it will be in Radikal. The bigger question is how far back they will support in terms of models.
The LP12 Whisperer
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

The Utopik seems quite expensive (considering that now the Dinamik upgrade costs € 700 here):

https://ripcaster.co.uk/Linn_Utopik_Pow ... ly_Upgrade
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Matteo wrote: 2022-10-12 15:55 The Utopik seems quite expensive (considering that now the Dinamik upgrade costs € 700 here):

https://ripcaster.co.uk/Linn_Utopik_Pow ... ly_Upgrade
Yes, I need to get another job, to be able to afford Linn in the future :-(
Fredrik, when will your turntable be released?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm not sure whether the Ripcaster price is correct. Linn has not put that upgrade on the dealer price list yet so I don't know where that price came from. I was told to expect it to be more in the 1000 range although I'm not sure if that was £ or $,
The LP12 Whisperer
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

This make more sense (€ 1.000) considering the price increase of the Classic Selekt

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

When I switched the mod. M109s to aktiv (M6100), I kept my A2200/1.

I'm quite curious to compare the Utopiked A2200 with the M109s passive to the Dinamiked M6100 with the M109s aktiv.

M.