Latest Rega MCs

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Latest Rega MCs

Post by Charlie1 »

Anyone compared Rega's current MCs to a Linn MC? Saw a video a while back about how much work Rega put into it and basically went back to basics as they were shocked how old the MC designs were and no one had revisited them.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Latest Rega MCs

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-10-04 10:42 Anyone compared Rega's current MCs to a Linn MC? Saw a video a while back about how much work Rega put into it and basically went back to basics as they were shocked how old the MC designs were and no one had revisited them.
Ania particular Rega MC in mind... ? ;)

Ania Pro appears to be closest in price to the Linn Koil that you tried/have? Ania is cheaper; Apheta 3 is a good bit pricier and squarely in Linn Krystal territory.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-10-05 01:47 Ania particular Rega MC in mind... ? ;)

Ania Pro appears to be closest in price to the Linn Koil that you tried/have? Ania is cheaper; Apheta 3 is a good bit pricier and squarely in Linn Krystal territory.
:O)

No, not really. Curious about either of them.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-10-05 08:43
tokenbrit wrote: 2022-10-05 01:47 Ania particular Rega MC in mind... ? ;)

:O)

No, not really. Curious about either of them.
Plenty about the Regas on the 'webs but little expressed in terms of music as a whole, and nothing in comparison to Linn; moreso within the Rega range... Curious myself now, including the Hana ML that did seem to be mentioned alongside the Regas.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for looking

Roy talks about it in this interview which I enjoyed, although might be in part 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsQpWTnaD0g
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Aside from house sound differences, matching older Linn & Naim with newer Rega, I can't imagine Rega working as well on a suspended deck given design around Planars... not to mention, does the 3 bolt line up with Linn arms? Maybe a reason there aren't (m)any comparisons :/
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yeah, that's a fair point.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

I recently listened to a newly Goldring rebuilt Karma installed on a friends Rega P10 in place of the supplied Apheta 3 and it sounded very nice, even reminded me a little bit of my old LP12 in overall flavor, a little warmer/colored in the lower midrange & ultimately less overall resolved -in tune- than the Apheta 3 though. ...But yea, the three point mounting on the Rega arms is reversed by comparison to the Linn tonearms, but since the Karma only provides just the common two hole mounting layout this wasn't a concern in this particular situation. Also, I wouldn't get too caught up in assuming that some cartridges manufacturers build cartridges optimized for suspended decks while other manufacturers may not, thinking this way one could missout out on something very musical. But, saying that, I can also see the appeal of sticking with one manufacturer, simply put nothing should be assumed when it comes to audio playback, all potential new gear should be A/B'd whenever possible, and it's always best to do this A/Bing in ones own home/environment with ones own gear.

Personally I'm using the Aphelion III in my P10/Aura combo and I'm still continually amazed how good vinyl can sound, overall track resolution of all the individual instruments like I've never experienced before and didn't think was really even possible, it's amazing how much info is still hidden in those grooves. ...And surprisingly this "newer" Rega gear has integrated better than I could have ever expected with the rest of my "older" CB Naim gear, it's transformed and breathed new life into it.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I didn't mean don't A/B, more that I'm not surprised many haven't, not enough for opinions or results to come up in searches, at least, and or such comparisons mentioned in reviews either. Even if they had, as you suggest, I don't know how meaningful it'd be if not in the context of one's personal system to ensure that it works well at home...
All that said, I'd still expect Rega to work better on their own turntables than on an LP12, and vice versa - be nice to verify tho'. Clips, anyone? :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the feedback tpetsch. Have you heard the Ania Pro?

Any idea how the MM Rega carts compare to AT VM95 carts in terms of balance? The VM95 range really suits my old systems better than Krystal and Koil. Adikt is kind of in the middle ground.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-10-06 09:50 Thanks for the feedback tpetsch. Have you heard the Ania Pro?

Any idea how the MM Rega carts compare to AT VM95 carts in terms of balance? The VM95 range really suits my old systems better than Krystal and Koil. Adikt is kind of in the middle ground.
No sorry, I have not heard the Ania Pro, just the Apheta III & Aphelion II as of late. I have heard a few of the VM95 variations and think they offer a lot of value for the money.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I heard the Apheta 3 on a P8, P10 and My LP12 and I must say I don't like it very much. It's not like so much else that will sound good but totally mess up music, but it's still just very plain I think. Sounds very clean, quite cold, that's about it. It isn't really involving even though it doesn't mess up the music. I think I would prefer Adikt actually. Krystal is of course much better too.
the players of instruments shall be there..
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Interesting - thanks Efraim.