Linn speakers cable in tri-wiring configuration

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

pietralata

Linn speakers cable in tri-wiring configuration

Post by pietralata »

Good morning, sorry for the maybe trivial question, but after replacing the Linn K400 cable, I wanted to ask you, for a tri wiring setup, connected with one length of the Linn K40 and K200, where will the K200 be connected, on the high frequencies or the bass? We are talking about the Linn AV5125 amplifier and Linn Ninka speakers.
Thank you,

Daniele
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn speakers cable in tri-wiring configuration

Post by Tendaberry »

I would never mix K40 and K200, they are totally different cables. If you want tri-wiring, go for K600. Or try single-wiring with the K200.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tendaberry is totally right. I'm afraid I might not be quite as tender. Many of us have found that bi-wiring and tri-wiring are not as musical single wiring. It tends to give a sound that is "faster" and more "detailed" but is less homogenous and musical with compromised flow of the music. Many of us have used multi-wired setups at one time or another but now we mostly use single wire. Using two different wires would further compromise the homogeneity of the music due to the different musical qualities of he wire.

I would also recommend you use the tweeter connections from the amp and the links (built into the boards on the back) to the other drivers. Also it would be a good idea to listen to each channel on the 5125 individually in mono and choose the two most musical. There will be a small musical difference between each channel so choosing the best two will be worthwhile.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
pietralata

Post by pietralata »

Thank you for your reply, I just discontinued the k400 in addition to the "k200" to reduce the volume of the cables and had thought of this option. I don't quite understand, so are you telling me that it would be better to use three pieces of the new K200 for each speaker or even abandon active multi-amping using a single cable?
Thank you,
Daniele
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

pietralata wrote: 2022-09-22 18:05 Thank you for your reply, I just discontinued the k400 in addition to the "k200" to reduce the volume of the cables and had thought of this option. I don't quite understand, so are you telling me that it would be better to use three pieces of the new K200 for each speaker or even abandon active multi-amping using a single cable?
Thank you,
Daniele
Yes, my highest recommendation would be to single wire. But if you want to tri-wire I would stick with the same cable for all three drivers. Either K600 or K400 plus a split piece of K400 or the new K200. I feel the K400/K600 to be musically superior to the new K200 and split K400 is my preference for single wired setups. Also make sure the cables are the same length regardless of how many cables you use.
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It seems Daniele has an aktiv system?

If that is correct, you will need all three wires. And then I’d follow Thomas advice regarding all K400 and same length. And I’d add don’t make them shorter than 2.5 m.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Ah, I didn't catch that it was aktiv. If that is so I would just go to bi-wiring with K400 to treble and both bass/mid drivers. It can't be separate aktiv to the two bass/mid drivers with a single 5125 so I expect both bass/mid drivers are being driven by the same amp channel. In this case the same things which have been said about multi-wiring apply and running a single side, or part, of a K400 to the bass drivers will likely provide better musicality.

So I would stick with K400 with one pair of wires to treble and one pair to bass/mid drivers and switch the cards on the back around so this works properly. Keeping them 2.48 meter, or longer if needed, is definitely recommended.
The LP12 Whisperer
pietralata

Post by pietralata »

Thank you for your answers, perhaps I was not clear enough. Yes, the system is active and I was assuming the use of three cables per speaker. Having replaced the K400 and its half "K200" of length 4.5 meters, I was wondering which cable to use. At the moment I had considered using the k40 and the new k200 in the length each of 3 meters, but it seems to me that it would be better to use three 3-meter long lengths of k200 for each speaker. Provided that replacing the k400 should not result in a clear downgrade. These are the cables to be replaced:
Thanks,
Daniele
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It seems to me you have all the cables that you need there on the floor. And also my all time favourite, the black K400 (cut in half I refer to it as “black K200”).

What is it that you’re trying to achieve by a change? I haven’t quite understood that.
pietralata

Post by pietralata »

Of course you are right but the cables are part of a second system in a country house also used by my brother, who complained about the bulkiness of these black “pythons” of 4.5 meters each. The only real need was to decrease the bulkiness of the connection ;)
pietralata

Post by pietralata »

But I'm realizing that maybe it wouldn't be worth it.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

OK!

If 3 m is enough, you could shorten them. And if the speakers are two way aktiv, I suspect using only the two K400’s could actually sound better.

You’d have to make sure both bass drivers are connected to the single wire at the back of the speakers. Likely you flip the cards behind the locking nuts on the Ninkas.
pietralata

Post by pietralata »

So, eliminating the "k200," considering that the AV5125 does not allow a true triamping?
That might actually be a good solution, I just need to figure out which amplifier channels to use for.
Thanks,
D
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-09-22 23:43 OK!

If 3 m is enough, you could shorten them. And if the speakers are two way aktiv, I suspect using only the two K400’s could actually sound better.

You’d have to make sure both bass drivers are connected to the single wire at the back of the speakers. Likely you flip the cards behind the locking nuts on the Ninkas.
Yes, this is what I was recommending. I found K400 to be a bit more musical than the new K200. So I would trim the K400 to 3 meters (unless you can get by with 2.48 meters) and just use it. Flip over the cards on the backs of the speakers to the proper side and you will be all set.
The LP12 Whisperer
pietralata

Post by pietralata »

Thank you all for the clarifications. One last question about the K40 instead, do you think it can be considered better in any way than the K20 or simply a "dual" version of it?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

K40 is the worst of the cables we’ve mentioned so far. Musically, that is.

I’m sure the designer thought a single solid conductor to the treble sounded “fresh”. And then added some more strands for the bass to get more “body”.

He or she sure didn’t design it to make more sense of the music.
linesrg

Post by linesrg »

Good Evening All,

Just buy some K600........... it really is that simple!

Regards

Richard
Linn KSH, 10 channel Akurate Exactbox, Avondale SE amplification +(modified) Isobariks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Oh yeah, for somebody who wants to stop using K400 and a half K400 cable to reduce cable volume, K600 is just what she is looking for.
The LP12 Whisperer
pietralata

Post by pietralata »

Previously was indicated the solution of the biwire configuration, which seems to be more suitable with the use of only one Av5125, so the k400 would suffice.
As soon as I have time I'll do some comparative tests of the latter and the k200 in biwire configuration.
Thank you all!
D