New DS models

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

New DS models

Post by ThomasOK »

Linn is introducing two new models to their DS series of products.

The first (and to me most interesting) is the Majik DS-I. This is, in essence, a combination of the Majik-I integrated amp and the Majik DS digital stream player in a single chassis. The Majik DS-I includes all the functionality of the latest Majik-I including 5 analog inputs with one being switchable between MM Phono and Line, front panel headphone output and AUX input, preamp output, a 100W per channel Chakra amp and Dynamik power supply. On top of that it adds the digital streaming functionality of the Majik DS as well as the ability to use the internal DACs to improve the sound of other devices! There are 3 SPDIF and 3 Optical inputs and also one of each output. As with the Majik-I the phono stage may be upgraded to MC at additional expense.

The US price for the Majik DS-I is $4200. According to other info I have seen it is £2500 and €2975. This looks to be a great all in one piece for those who want to get into Linn digital streaming at a reasonable price but also have other devices to connect and optimize. Since the combo of a Majik DS and a Majik-I runs $6475US the DS-I is a substantial savings for what we hope will be a small musical compromise.

The second new DS unit is the Sekrit DS-I. I don't yet have a data sheet on this but a number of details have leaked out here and there. The Sekrit DS-I boasts a 70W per channel Class D digital amp - a first for Linn. It also has much improved connectivity over the Sneaky DS including an analog and 2 digital inputs (one each SPDIF and Optical) and an analog output. It comes in what my rep describes as a "shoebox" case similar in size to an original Lingo and has no controls on the unit itself. All control is done from your DS control point device or through whole house automation systems. It is mainly designed for the custom install market where small size and the low ventilation demands of digital amps are very helpful. I'm not sure on the pricing yet but it looks like it might be around the same price as a Majik DS ($3500US). If this pricing is anywhere near correct the Majik DS-I will certainly be of more interest to most of us but the Sekrit should fit the bill for custom installations.

All in all some interesting new products to further expand the range of DS devices. To me it begs the question of when we will see the marriage of a DS with a high-quality preamp - something that makes perfect sense to me. Akurate Kontrol-DS anyone?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

According to the latest info from Linn the Majik DS-I started shipping yesterday, October 26th.
Per A

Post by Per A »

Majik DS-I sounds like an amazing product. I had guessed Linn would incorporate a DS and preamp in an active speaker.