An interesting dilemma

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

An interesting dilemma

Post by bonzo »

I recently picked up a pr of 2nd hand 308p MKII solely for the purpose of seeing how a monitor this size would suit my listening room. I’m fully aware the MKI is a more musical speaker. I must say I’m a bit torn after some extensive listening. Am I crazy to say I prefer the SPL’s that the 308’s put out? It definitely exceeds my current setup of A242 Mk2 w/ solid base and Tundra mono2 Tarandus. Clearly not as musical, however 1 thing I constantly long for is the ability to simply go louder with my current setup. Speaking in terms of how they “sound” The 308’s get beat on the high end however they are very “fast” if that’s not a hifi term I don’t know what is 🤣. While I’m certain I would never replace my setup with these 308’s, I’m even more anxious to give the 708’s a go. Everything I’ve read states the 708s are Very musical and a few steps above how the 308’s sound, so to me, that seems the best of both worlds. Not sure if I can arrange a demo in home for the 708’s… but unless I can, I won’t buy blind.
Thanks for your time,
Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: An interesting dilemma

Post by matthias »

Only considering what jajo said about the 708s these will most certainly musically outperform your existing set-up.
I purchased the 3677s without listening based only on the recommendations of this forum and never looked back.
IMO, there is no risk doing the same with 708s.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

The 308's are ultra budget speakers. One can't expect miracles from such cheaply made speakers.

The most tuneful sounding JBL speakers that I've heard so far had 15" woofers. Most people aren't happy to have wide-bodied speakers in their homes.

If you ever decide that you would be happy with a 15" or bigger woofer, I could give you a few suggestions as to what's worth taking a punt on if you see something at the right price.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

I recently had an opportunity to hear the 708P, and while the systems and rooms were different enough to prevent a direct comparison it was clear to me that Jajo's assessment of the 708 is accurate. Yes, they are more musical than the 308, but the difference isn't so great as to justify getting the 708 for their musical merits alone. If you need a speaker that plays louder than the 308, the 708 might be worth considering. Otherwise it's difficult to justify the significant difference in price. Prior to hearing the 708s I was seriously considering them, but now I'm much more satisfied with the 308's performance.

I would suggest locating a pair of Mk. 1s and giving them a fair shot before seeking out 708s.