JERN Speakers

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

JERN Speakers

Post by Efraim roots »

I decided to start a new thread livicated to JERN speakers, separate from the vintage amp thread which started some discussion on these excellent speakers.

I have been using JERN speakers for 2,5 years, I replaced a pair of Klångedang T1 with JERN 12WS. Just before this I still had my Naim amps and Naim IBL speakers, (which I preffered over Linn Kan mk1). I wanted to use the Boazu though and my Naim IBL don't sound right with anything else than naim amps I think. I started with the Klångedang T1 which was good but not excellent imo. The Boazu + JERN 12WS combo gave me everything I had in my naim rig, but so much more, 10x better but still just the same, if that makes any sense :) The Klångedang T1 didn't have that type of qualities imo!

I may need to add that most conventional speakers will lose track of bass in my room activating some bass node. I tried so many speakers since I also work at a hifi shop. JERN speakers though sounds like they don't have a box, the music is just crisp from top to bottom, almost like the room become the box. They are truly excellent in eliminating room issues thru their design. And they are powerful, it really feels like the music gives me power, makes me strong, like iron :)

I carefully tried JERN w8000, w9000, JERN 11, JERN 12WS and JERN 15H. All these models are very musical and just excellent speakers. I think 12WS is most bang for buck but also the w8000/w9000 which is wall mounts is amazing value for money!
Last edited by Efraim roots on 2022-08-16 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
the players of instruments shall be there..
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Re: JERN Speakers

Post by Efraim roots »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-08-15 16:46
Efraim roots wrote: 2022-08-15 11:47 I think JERN speakers are great, especially the 12WS which seems to be the sweet spot imho, with the scanspeak tweeter. I now have the JERN 15H which is less direct in pace and rhythm but much more tuneful and very, very good bass for such a small speaker. I tried my old kans mk1 the other day and they actually looked rather big in comparison. They sounded really great too but literally no bass in comparison. I haven't missed my nait, naims, kans or IBLs since I got Boazu and JERN12WS.

The other week I bought a really cool UK vintage amp though, the MYST TMA3 with a MC phono input. I play with it with my top spec LP12 with Krystal right now and I must say WOW. That's a cool piece of UK vintage amp, sounds really, really good! Anyone familiar with the Myst tma3? It's very musical!
Dear Efraim
Wonderfull to hear you are still on the Jern-Boazu boat., which you so kindly introduced for some years ago. Very interesting with the 15h. Do you think the 12ws still has some strengths the 15h misses? I have the 14 Ds with sub in the living room and 12ws with some Linn indeks stands. Works really well now, but sometimes it can get a bit eager and wild on some music, mostly magic though. That’s why I thought about the Grahams also. Perhaps 15h could be something to consider?
Sorry to hijack the thread. Love the Naim-discussion.
Fred
Hi Fred!
Nice to have you around Lejonklou forum nowadys :) How would you rank your 14DS+sub to 12WS? IIRC a friend of mine tried 14DS and 12WS both with sub and the two guys listening agreed that 12WS + Rel t5 sub was the sweet spot. I also heard the combo 14ds + two rel t5 subs at oslo hifi center and just got the feeling I would prefer 12WS (no comparison made).

When it comes to JERN 15H it has been little bit of a journey. It's impossible to say they are not better than 12WS but they are very different. First off they are bass lead instead of JERN 12WS which you could say is more tops lead with mindblowing lively dynamics from the scanspeak tweeter. I think the 12WS driver integration is totally seemless, and with 15H the bass driver seems a little dominant in the mix. The driver is truly excellent though, but it does a lot of work with a high crossover point. The differnece reminded me of the the difference between NAP110 and NAP250. And I prefer NAP110 so I was a little confused.

But now several months in (no torque of drivers yet, makes a big difference to 12WS, recommended!) the 15H are much more smooth, warm, fluid, extended without the hard hitting dynamics and start/stop nature of the 12WS. The ultimate tempo respone is no longer acting like a signature sound, all the room in between is now filled with nuance. And the bass quality! Warm and full but still very crisp. I don't think I'll ever go back now comapring to JERN 11, Kan 1, IBL I have at home it's such a giant leap forward in performance.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Great intiative, Roots!
Thank you for the great description. Regarding 14ds vs 12ws I think it might also be a bit room dependent. In my bigger living room the 8 ohm, 88db 14 works a little better, because they fill the room easier. They get a bit strident in my smaller room, were the 12ws worked better, is fuller and goes deeper without a sub. With the Linn indeks stands they work very well now without a sub. Like you I would go for 12ws rather than 14 Ds if I had to choose, though the bigger room play better with 14.

With two rooms, swapping up and down it gets a little chaotic in the head from time to time: )with Källa and 12ws the Boazu 1.1 actually works very good in this room today. I listened to Qobuz Neil young today and it was fantastic, with real musical bass-drive. 1.1 as somebody wrote gives a little bit more ‘excess fat’ which fits, like you described so well, the top-driven sound a little more. And also especially with Källa which of course blooms a little less than an lp12.
I see that 15h is double the price of 12ws even though it sounds very interesting. Great description of your journey!
Regards
F
Rega
Last edited by Fred11 on 2022-08-16 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great thread - makes me want to listen to JERN even more!
Efraim roots wrote: 2022-08-16 11:39 I started with the Klångedang T1 which was good but not excellent imo. The Boazu + JERN 12WS combo gave me everything I had in my naim rig, but so much more
I've not heard the T1 in real life but must admit they didn't grab me in the phone clips I've heard - I think they were in a hotel room so perhaps not ideal. Speakers are super personal though and btw your Kan 1s must have been broken!! :D
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Did someone listen to the new JERN 35 speakers:

https://jernspeakers.com/speaker/jern-35/

Ole Lund Christensen: "This is my best speaker ever..." , 20k EUR/pair
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Wow, I think JERN 35 is barley out. Very interesting, the price might be high on this one. JERN 12WS is 2400euros a pair. JERN 15H is 5000euros a pair. The 35 is going to be more.

Regarding Kan mk1 and IBL, I enjoyed kans so much for a few years in my everyday system. I really wanted to find IBL to try them out, it was really hard finding them, I had to buy two pairs and put together to one pair in perfect original condition. I'm pretty sure the Kans condition was alright too. I would argue that IBLs are very musical just as Kan mk 1. Which one you prefer might differ. I certainly dig both but I don't use IBLs with anything else than the best naim amps. I can use Kans with everything I have. I think JERN 12WS sound more like IBLs than Kans by the way, but that's the scanspeak tweeter, which I think are the same model.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Efraim roots wrote: 2022-08-16 21:11Regarding Kan mk1 and IBL, I enjoyed kans so much for a few years in my everyday system. I really wanted to find IBL to try them out, it was really hard finding them, I had to buy two pairs and put together to one pair in perfect original condition. I'm pretty sure the Kans condition was alright too. I would argue that IBLs are very musical just as Kan mk 1. Which one you prefer might differ. I certainly dig both but I don't use IBLs with anything else than the best naim amps. I can use Kans with everything I have. I think JERN 12WS sound more like IBLs than Kans by the way, but that's the scanspeak tweeter, which I think are the same model.
I prefer the final Kan 1 with Hiquphon tweeter and B110 SP1057 so far. The middle iteration either sound very shut in - perhaps they age badly. I need to further explore the early Scanspeak ones as only had 1 passive and 1 active pair. But it's the B110 that gets me. There's something about it that I find very coherent, whether it's via a Kan, Brik, or BBC unit.

I was kinda pulling your leg of course about Kan vs IBL but I guess you know that.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-08-16 15:22 Great intiative, Roots!
...Regarding 14ds vs 12ws I think it might also be a bit room dependent. In my bigger living room the 8 ohm, 88db 14 works a little better, because they fill the room easier. They get a bit strident in my smaller room, were the 12ws worked better, is fuller and goes deeper without a sub. With the Linn indeks stands they work very well now without a sub. Like you I would go for 12ws rather than 14 Ds if I had to choose, though the bigger room play better with 14...
Thanks Fred, very interesting read about your experince with the two models. I think the JERN 15H would probably fit the bigger room too but likely would need a little more power than Boazu to excel in a bigger room. They go deeper and much fuller than 12WS. Not BIG in dynamics but very sweet, you can turn it up if you have the juice. Lejonklou monos with 15H in my 27m2 room is mind boggeling. Most likely very physical, I could start a music therapy clinic :)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-08-16 15:22 I listened to Qobuz Neil young today and it was fantastic, with real musical bass-drive.
Did you go to Qobuz for Neil Young only or do you prefer it now to Spotify?
Thx
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Hi Matthias
I usually prefer Spotify, but Neil and his friends has left the Spotify-party, unfortunately.
F
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

That sounds very interesting and like good therapy, Roots!
I took your tip and torqued the 12ws. What a difference! I should have done it before. Everything got fuller and more powerful in a very musical way. I also feel strong as Jern (iron) now: ).
Efraim roots wrote: 2022-08-16 23:51
Fred11 wrote: 2022-08-16 15:22 Great intiative, Roots!
...Regarding 14ds vs 12ws I think it might also be a bit room dependent. In my bigger living room the 8 ohm, 88db 14 works a little better, because they fill the room easier. They get a bit strident in my smaller room, were the 12ws worked better, is fuller and goes deeper without a sub. With the Linn indeks stands they work very well now without a sub. Like you I would go for 12ws rather than 14 Ds if I had to choose, though the bigger room play better with 14...
Thanks Fred, very interesting read about your experince with the two models. I think the JERN 15H would probably fit the bigger room too but likely would need a little more power than Boazu to excel in a bigger room. They go deeper and much fuller than 12WS. Not BIG in dynamics but very sweet, you can turn it up if you have the juice. Lejonklou monos with 15H in my 27m2 room is mind boggeling. Most likely very physical, I could start a music therapy clinic :)
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Yes it is very satisfying to find the right torque with JERN speakers it seems :) They are sensitive to installation in general. I can't find my note on the values for 12WS with the SR tool commonly used around here, I'll look for it. I also did the torque yesterday for my 15H since I think I had optimized them in current setup. I found that 0.9nm -2 notches sounds best of both tweeter and driver. That was surprising but rather practical. I remember the woofer on 12WS was a higher. The bass in 15 models has many more screws to hold it and they go in so very precise and clean, I noticed they had a bit surprisingly low torque from factory aswell.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Very interesting!
Would be great to know the numbers for 12 ws.
F
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I'll see if I find them!.. I actually just redid the tweeters on 15H to try even lower torque, I was to start at 0,6nm but the tool didn't work well at low torques so I gave up, the tweeter screws is a bit more unprecise in their movement, maybe there is pieces gasket in between or something. I remember it was the other way around with 12WS, also be careful with the woofers on 12WS since the frame can deform quite easily. I ended up retightening the 15H tweeters by hand at low torque, I think it sounds better now! Tune Method is more important than the tool.

Edit: I changed back to 0.9nm -2 notches for the tweeter. The tool is great :)
Soundside

Post by Soundside »

Hi,

I figured I’ll re-surrect this thread instead of creating a new one.

I just got the Sagatun and Tundra Stereo and I’m looking for speaker alternatives. I currently use magnepans and they sound fantastic with the Lejonklou setup. However, I saw these Jern speakers and got interested.

Do you still have them? Are you still happy with the performance?

Thanks!
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Hi Soundside!
I am a Jern-man and run Boazu - Källa with two systems 14 ds-Rel and 12 ws, switching the Källa between the two Boazus. They do not give you pumping deep bass, bit conveys very emotional layers of music in a very natural way with great pace and rhythm. But speakers are very personal so perhaps smart to test if possible?
F
Soundside

Post by Soundside »

Hi Fred,

Great to hear. I have 2 Rel T7i’s so I’m hopefully all set in the bass department. What I’m looking for though is speakers that are moving and ”dissapear” so to speak so all focus is on the music.

I find it a bit confusing to see which Jern speaker I should go for since there’s quite a few models. I’m guessing the 14 would be best for me since i have subs and the room is about 7x6 meters. What would you recommend?

I would love to listen to a pair but haven’t been able to find a dealer who has them nearby.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

I would say that are the most disappearing speakers I have had. I had Spendor, Naim Allae, naim Sbls and neats before them. In my big room (48 m2) I think the 14 is best, since they are easier to drive than 12ws, yet same scanspeak elements. In my small room I like 12ws best. With Kan-stands I like them very much. ER has 15 which also sounds very nice. 12ws more forward and Kan-like and 15 more smooth and laidback, I think described?
F
Soundside

Post by Soundside »

Ok, that’s good news. I think the 14 is the way to go for me also. I will see if there’s any dealers that would let me try a pair before purchase.

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

/V