Entity interconnects for Naim

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Naimsake

Entity interconnects for Naim

Post by Naimsake »

I’m considering the Entity to replace the Prefix in my LP12. It’s connected to a 52 and I understand that the Linn silver interconnects are a good match. Just wondering about the connection to the 52. Replace a pair of Linn silver rca plugs with a din (I can solder) or find a suitable 3rd party rca to din cable?
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Entity interconnects for Naim

Post by Efraim roots »

Personally I love the RCA-DIN Naim hiline for this application. I would suggest you try one of those. I thought it was worth it because it sounds so good in my opinion. I'm currently using RCA-RCA hiline with Entity and Boazu. I used to have a very nice NAC52 though :) Make sure to tighten the WBT connectors just right by listening tests.

A much cheaper option may be Audioquest Big Sur which is a very nice copper cable (their finest copper in a relativly cheap design). I use this 3,5mm to RCA from my sony walkman professional after trying many different cables. BUT in this case, dont use Audioquest factory terminated DIN because this is silverplated and soldered with their silver solder, neither of that is good for musicality. Cut the cable in the DIN end and terminate it with original naim din connector with lejonklou solder at the right temp. The original AQ RCA plugs of this design is alright, they are goldplated pure copper. I have these cables for sale if anyone interested send me a pm.

I had Linn silvers aswell (deliverd with Klimax kontrol) but I sold them.
the players of instruments shall be there..
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Efraim roots wrote: 2022-08-02 10:51 I'm currently using RCA-RCA hiline with Entity and Boazu.
Did you compare to Linn Silvers as the hiline is quite expensive (1100 Euro)?
Thanks
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

No sorry I had already sold them when I got the hiline rca rca. I didn't really love the silvers, not much better compared to Linn blacks or my older OFC version of Atlas Equator which I think is really good too. Now with hiline it's not really possible to use anything else, it's so rich and musical. And one thing is for sure, you should use the din out/inputs with naim gear, they sound so much better.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I was happy enough with Urika 》Silver ICs 》adaptor 》various CB Naim amps, but never compared to the other suggestions in this tread.

I used this one...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293088523926
Naimsake

Post by Naimsake »

Thanks for the replies. As no one is shouting noooo! I’ll make up my own silvers With a DIN at one end and some nice shrink wrap to make it look pretty.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Naimsake wrote: 2022-08-02 16:02 Thanks for the replies. As no one is shouting noooo! I’ll make up my own silvers With a DIN at one end and some nice shrink wrap to make it look pretty.
It's OK to do this, it's just not that cut'n dry. The barrel of the common Naim Din connector is not wide enough to accept Silver without removing the jacket, but Black is not a problem, with the blacks -and a little Din Dremeling- you can insert both black jackets & then tag both the shields -0v's- together directly at the 0v pin point instead of combining the shields further up the line and shrinking it all together, this is all minus Din rubber boot/strain relief BUT you can still retain the internal Din cable clamp/support with a little extra working of it. This is much more difficult with the silvers and you'll need to remove a few inches of jacket from the Silvers -remember, you'll need to be able to slide the Din barrel back far enough for soldering/assembly clearance- and then thin shrink each channel separately to be able to fit both channels of Silver into the Din -also with a little Dremeling- as the overall diameter of two Silvers with jacket is greater than the overall Dia. of the Din itself.
...Or you can remove a few inches of Silver jacket on both cables and combine both shields all within one piece of shrink to get both channels to fit into the Din whilst also knowing this will combine/interming a few inches of shield together before then being tagged together to the 0v Din pin, this is easier and strangely in a way like Naim OEM 4 core layout but I found this will also sound different when the 0'vs are not touching for the whole run like in the 4 core, but also the 4 core is just allround very different in concept & construction.
...Or you can even rewire the Preamp Chassis mounted Female Din with two 0'v's on two separate pins -instead of just one combined 0v going directly to the star ground of your Naim Preamp you will use 2- and then wire the cable Din pins your assembling to match -to accept both L/R & their accompanying 0V shields from each channel of cable, each channel and each shield getting it's own Din pin- thus the 0v's from both channels of interconnect will then only combine first at the Star of the Preamp, I have tried all three -as well as many other combinations- and all three sound different.

Thought I had found one that I preferred & then a few months later I reverted back to an early original Naim grey 4 core built RCA to 5pin layout and that is the way I have stayed, I should have just listened to Julian. I've come to the conclusion the Linn cables can fool you -in a Naim system- with what may seem like more reveling information but at the cost of overall system balance and tune. ...Same with the Witch Hat Hat Pins, IME. - - But I'm talking Chrome Bumper stuff here, so take that into consideration. And instead of coming out of an Entity I did these A/B's coming out of an Aura going into a 32.5..
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
Naimsake

Post by Naimsake »

Yes, I planned to strip the outer sheath and use heat shrink like Chord do. But it does make sense to me to try the grey snaic first as that what I use for everything else. And Silver arm lead. Just at the overthinking it stage right now.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

It's a good idea to get a standard naim interconnect rca-din as your reference. There is so many cables that sounds different but isn't better.