Question about Rel B1

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Question about Rel B1

Post by bonzo »

Ok, so forgive me for asking this as I should know.. however my memory escapes me more and more these days.

I’m connecting my Rel B1 sub to a 2 channel system via the Hi-Level connection with supplied Neutrik adapter and cable. I’ve got the coarse setting on “C” and the fine setting on the 3rd position (51 cycles I believe). My question is, will this setup (Do Rel subs in general) restrict frequencies below 51 from going to my main speakers with all of those 51 being sent to the Rel only?
I recall my Akurate 221 sub having a setting (external high pass)to control the signal to the main speakers.
As always,
Thank you for your time,
Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
markiteight

Re: Question about Rel B1

Post by markiteight »

No. The filter is low pass only. Your main speakers will continue to receive a full range signal.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Markiteight,

Thanks so much for the info!

Thanks for your time,
Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

markiteight wrote: 2022-07-30 23:44 No. The filter is low pass only. Your main speakers will continue to receive a full range signal.
This is correct, there is no crossover filter and output to go back to your main speakers. Also I highly recommend using the tune method and doing comparisons to find the best crossover frequency to blend well with your mains. In my experience it is usually lower than you think it would be. I have never set a B1 crossover as high as 51Hz and usually ended setting it somewhere in the 20s.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Dear Thomas
I know I should listen and tune myself, but I have a pair of bookshelf speakers (Jern 14) that rolls of at 90hz. Would you start the sub at around 70-60hz rather than 90 hz?
Regards
Fredrik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-08-04 15:39 Dear Thomas
I know I should listen and tune myself, but I have a pair of bookshelf speakers (Jern 14) that rolls of at 90hz. Would you start the sub at around 70-60hz rather than 90 hz?
Regards
Fredrik
Best bet is to always try all your options. But my experience with the REL units is that if you set it to where your main speakers supposedly roll off you will get too much overlap. So certainly you can try it at the 60-70Hz range but don't be afraid to try 50Hz or even lower if you find it keeps getting better. On the other hand if around 70Hz is more musical than 60 go ahead and try higher.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Thank you!
Will try out soon.
F