How much to repair LINN components

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

RonnyO.

How much to repair LINN components

Post by RonnyO. »

Hello All!

After a lightning stroke our hours my Akurate DSM and Akurate Exaktbox 6 do not work anymore.

Do you know what Linn is taking to repair those components? I heard they have fixed repair rates based on the component.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
RonnyO.
Think, it's not illegal yet!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: How much to repair LINN components

Post by ThomasOK »

You could run into a big problem with that. The damage from a lightning strike to electronics can be so extensive that Linn usually refuses to repair equipment damaged that way, instead recommending you have your home insurance pay to replace the units. You can have Linn evaluate items like that to see if they will repair them but if they decide not to they will charge you an evaluation charge and shipping which can be a fair bit (we just had an almost $200 charge on a bad Akito 2 arm that was unrepairable).

That said the normal fixed repair charge on the Akurate DSM is $825 in the US plus some shipping and the Akurate Exaktbox 6 is $640, also plus some shipping. The way it works in the US is that the dealer ships it to a Linn service center in New York where it is usually repaired. Shipping to and from New York are the responsibility of the equipment owner. Sometimes the unit has to go back to Scotland but the shipment to and from Scotland has normally been covered in the fixed rate repair charge in the past. We haven't done one of these in a while so I'm not sure if shipping is still handled that way. Shipping charges have been going up and Brexit has also complicated equipment flow back and forth so that could have changed.

Best bet is to check with your dealer who would have to file with Linn for the Return Service Authorization. Another possibility would be to take it to a local electronics repair station or Linn dealer to have them open it up and see if you are lucky and it is something simple like an internal fuse. If they determine that the power supplies and/or the main boards show signs of scorching from lightning or surges it is unlikely Linn will touch them.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

RonnyO. wrote: 2022-05-21 18:16 Hello All!

After a lightning stroke our hours my Akurate DSM and Akurate Exaktbox 6 do not work anymore.

Do you know what Linn is taking to repair those components? I heard they have fixed repair rates based on the component.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
RonnyO.
Your dealer needs to establish if both units are broken. The exaktbox won’t come on if the dsm is broken, so it could be ok.
RonnyO.

Post by RonnyO. »

@ThomasOK thank you for your comprehensive answer. I was unclear in my wording. The lightning was indirect, so it was not hitting our house, but near by and the lights in our flat went out. After turning everything on again the 2 units did not work anymore. I had both of them open, they have no visible signs of any damage.

@Anthony thank you for the hint, I will have them checked out the local Linn representative. Maybe only the DSM is damaged. Keep my fingers crossed.

Br,
RonnyO.
Think, it's not illegal yet!
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

You know what they say...... "If you have to ask the price...................." ;)

Seriously, though, Linn use flat rate repair pricing, which usually very expensive for a minor repair and very inexpensive for a major repair. I wasn't aware that Linn may refuse to repair a component (and then charge you for denying the repair) - that's not flat rate pricing!
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D