Cleaning/restoring Linn LK (crackle case) casework

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Dazza

Cleaning/restoring Linn LK (crackle case) casework

Post by Dazza »

Hi Folks.

My trusty old Linn Linto (still working flawlessly) has an old style crackle type finish casing which is losing its sheen and discolouring across the casing top. It's never been in direct sunlight but is exposed being on an open rack.
I would very much like to remove the discolouring as a minimum and if possible bring back its sheen.

Are there any products you folks may have used and/or can recommend to help restore it please.

Thank you
ITB

Re: Cleaning/restoring Linn LK (crackle case) casework

Post by ITB »

Send a PM
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Hi Dazza,

This is how we would clean these cases up at the shop on Linn/Naim, kinda all gear, apply with thought & care.

Original Lemon Pledge furniture polish, spray a little on a clean microfiber cloth and rub in/reapply, finish off by buffing with another clean microfiber, easy..

Microfiber is important as it wont break down and leave cotton/paper towel fibers behind when buffing on those textured "crackle" finish surfaces you're referring to.

Pledge works on those smooth finish Linn/Naim face plates too, even faceplate display windows, you don't really need to be super careful with it. -Of course Turntables require greater care and thought when cleaning. And FWIW, Pledge was even great on those LP12 Plinths and metal top plates once the platter is removed, I wouldn't use it on the platter/tonearm or armboard for example. You could carefully use a clean, soft paintbrush to get dust off of the armboard/some parts of the tonearm. ...And always remember, microfiber cloths -as are many cleaning supplies- are not cantilever friendly!!

When all done buffing with the Pledge/Microfiber use a clean paintbrush to get into all those case seams to remove any dust/residue left behind.

Good Luck.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Tried Pledge on MY LP12 top plate.... made things worse! Tried Windex - a little better but still no good. Then got a Stainless steel kitchen appliance cleaner. Brought the finish back to new!
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

sktn77a wrote: 2022-05-21 02:46 Tried Pledge on MY LP12 top plate.... made things worse! Tried Windex - a little better but still no good. Then got a Stainless steel kitchen appliance cleaner. Brought the finish back to new!
OK sktn, thanks for the recommendation, it has been a while since I used Pledge on the top plate of an LP12, but I do remember using it with success, but I'll agree, it perhaps isn't the best on metal but it definitely won't harm it -or the surrounding plinth- in any way as I'd be a little more careful with applying specific "Stainless steel kitchen appliance cleaner" so that it doesn't come in contact with the wood plinth finish, even Windex -containing Ammonia- should be kept away from wood finishes, FWIW I remember applying the Pledge to the cloth and then wiping with the grain of the metal, not in circles/cross grain. ...But for the black cases -such as the OP asked about- Pledge works great, been cleaning my own units with it in the manner I descried above for over 30 years.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.