Paradigm Founder 120H

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Paradigm Founder 120H

Post by bonzo »

Has anyone had a chance to listen to these? I’ve heard positive things from different sources. It’s a partially active floor stander.. 1000w on 3 8” woofers with room correction.

Also.. Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III… these caught my eye.. supposed to be an entirely new speaker and not just and updated model of the Olympics series.
Thanks for your time,
Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Paradigm Founder 120H

Post by Defender »

both are nice and big - I like the Sonus Faber style and finish. Typical outstanding Italian design - thats what Italians are known for.

If you are really into music I would try the JBL 308p (MK I) first (not very much of an investment) if you like it and can live with the design think about the JBL 708p.

I sold my Dynaudio Contour 60’s after I compared it to the JBL 308p - what seems like a stupid idea and a step back was actually a step forward. I don’t regret it a minute. It still puts a smile in my face when I think about it. I would do it again.
That doesnt make the Countour 60 a bad speaker - it was the best speaker I had in my home till the JBL came.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Thanks so much Defender,

Are the JBL’s fully active or just partially active? Not sure I’m ready to part ways with the Tundra Mono2s…
Linn Pekin
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

uups I didnt checked your current equipment and I can surely understand that you want to hold on to them.

Yes the JBLs are fully active. There is an extensive thread here in the Hifi section little lower.
I know Tom has an opinion about the Sonus Fabers. If I remember right he really liked them until the original owner sold the business. The Sonus Fabers are really well tested in the Hifi Newspapers but as I have learned just lately since I am here that doesnt tell you if they are musical.

I can assure you that I like them was not expectation bias. Rather I expected that I dont like them because:
they are 2 way small cabinet
have a too small bass chassis
are not floorstanders
are active
have a horn like treble
are converting analog to digital before the output

but the music which they give you is just outstanding
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

I’ll definitely check out that thread.

A Very interesting idea… selling my 242s and Tundra mono2 would then allow me to afford and “defend” the purchase of Sagatun Mono. I’d Love to hear forum members opinion regarding going in this direction…
Linn Pekin
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

A very informative thread Defender, thanks so much.
Question… with this and most monitors meant for “nearfield” listening, I’m curious how these would fill a room 6.5mX4m.
Linn Pekin
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

my room is about 4.12m by 7.00m with a hight of 2.5m
there is an effect which I realised when I switched to them from the Dynaudios. The Dynaudio sounded bold and authoritative even when I was one floor up whereas with the JBL308 I kind to need to sit at the listening place to feel the same.
But than I asked myself when I like to hear music do I want to sit at the listening place or one floor up.
I didnt wanted to make a decision based on 5% of the situation - if I make sense.
Yes they might be not as bold and authoritative but compensate with more musicality and surprisingly more texture and information especially in the bass region.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Good info.. thanks Defender. That’s quite a large/long room. I’d have to imagine the 708’s would further improve what the 308 does.

Would the 308’s be a good “sample/idea” of what the 708’s can do? I’m thinking of trying these out first. The 708’s being as much as they are, I’d prefer not to risk buying and reselling if I didn’t have to.

Which preamp do you have? Did you need balanced adapters to connect to 308’s?
Linn Pekin
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I have Sagatun Monos and got the cables build out of Linn Blacks from Tom in the US. Yes they should give you a pretty good idea what the 708 can do. They are very sensitive to set up especially hight and distance to wall and distance between them. I am sitting about 3-3.5meters away.
Did think of the 708 for later but right now it just dont makes sense to me to spend that much more.