Triamping with Akurate amps

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

RobDodds

Triamping with Akurate amps

Post by RobDodds »

I'm just awaiting delivery of my system following a series of upgrades. I'm getting a Kore, Karousel, T-Kable installed and my LK280 is being replaced by an AK4200 and AK2200, both Dynamiked to triamp passive Kabers with K600. I'm sure it will be a big upgrade, although I've heard none of it yet. I hope to pick up some aktiv cards in the future as a final step.
I recently saw a post about not all amp channels having the same musicality and recommending using a 4200 as a stereo amp, having identified the best 2 channels. Given that I'm going down the triamp route and ultimately aktiv I don't think I want to be using just 2 channels of a 6 channel amplifier, particularly if using notoriously difficult to drive passive Kabers.
However I was wondering if there would be any benefit in identifying the relative musicality of each channel and prioritising to the tweetersthen midrange etc? Or am I overthinking this?
Has anyone tried this?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Triamping with Akurate amps

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, if you are going the multi-amp way I would put the best sounding two channels on the tweeter, then next on the midranges and the last two on the bass drivers. The channels on the 2200 might be better than those on the 4200 but they might not so the best bet is to compare single channels on both amps and rank them.

When you find the best two channels you might want to try those two channels by themselves with the links in place vs. all six channels running multi-amped. You might be surprised by the results.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
RobDodds

Post by RobDodds »

I can't find the other post. How do I assess each channel, Thomas? Do I use one speaker with links in to a single amp channel and listen for the tune, or is it one amp channel to a single drive unit (and which would it be?) I'm thinking I can't assess each amp channel in stereo.
I hope I'm not too pleasantly surprised by 2 channel sound as I'm investing heavily in multiamp. Aktiv Kabers have got to be better, right?
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Active systems need very careful installation and the much simpler (and cheaper) passive systems can sound really musical, especially with good interconnects and K400 speaker cables which have been properly terminated.

If you end up liking passive - you may even be able to change the two akkurate amps to a single and, maybe more musical power amp.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, the best way to test would be to put the links on one of the speakers and listen to one channel at a time of each of the amps using the same cables. You can use a mono record if you like but it isn't necessary.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.